The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
AES/EBU into Mac?
Old 17th January 2003
Lives for gear

AES/EBU into Mac?

What's a way to get AES/EBU directly into a mac without conversion to some other format like ADAT? I don't recall any soundcards or interfaces that do this.

Thnkz.
Old 18th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

faeflora, I'm fairly certain that RME makes a card with AES/EBU throughput. I think it's stereo only, however.
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

I should have mentioned that I'm looking for 16 channels of I/O!

Thanks Jax.

Hey, it's possible to use the older pro tools interfaces with the new HDSP cards and software right?
Old 18th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

I just had a look at the new 9652 HDSP on RME's site. It doesn't support more than stereo AES/EBU. If you wanted to connect an older PT interface (ADAT Bridge) to the card, for 16 channels it looks like it would have to be done optically.

If I may ask, why doesn't ADAT format conversion work for you?
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

Doh more miscommunication by me. Sorry again Jax, I meant the Digidesign HDSP cards, not the RME card.

I was wondering about this because ADAT is more jittery than aes/ebu mostly due to a lack of standards and that plastic wire.
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

The Lynx L22 interface card allows you to add two AES daughtercards for a total of 18 I/O of AES. It works really well and is cross platform.

www.lynxstudio.com
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

Hey this looks very cool! I've read praises on their converters too. I think some were from you?

Is anyone out there running this successfully on macs?

Thanks for the info!
Old 19th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

The Lynx does look very cool. I would probably go with it, but while I'm at it, I thought I'd attempt to dispel some misconceptions about optical cabling. This is a repost of mine from another thread on GSz. Sorry to be redundant for whatever stuff you already know (could be the whole post!):

"If I have learned this correctly (from Bob Katz, Dave Collins, and Bob Ohlsson, and Michal Jurewicz [Mytek]) the quality of the PLL used in the master clock device has much more effect on jitter than any type of digital cabling used, including optical. Both usb and optical cabling are less than ideal if you are running clock over them, but either is fine for carrying audio signals. For instance, if optical cabling was inferior for audio signals, Bob Katz wouldn't run the digital output of his Sony CD player that way. Glass optical is preferable to plastic optical, however.

With all that taken into consideration, the most stable clock is derivied from the wc i/o of a conveter. Or, if the converter's wc design is inferior to that of an external device, make the external device the wc master for the converter. By degree of most stable to least, the list of choices looks like this:

1) wordclock (has the lowest jitter)

2) AES EBU BLACK (no audio on the cable)

3) SPDIF black (no audio on the cable)

4) #2 or 3 above with signal on them.

Meanwhile the sonic differences between converters using optical cable to carry audio vs. AES/EBU was not something I could reliably pick out in a blind test. Whatever effect jitter might have had to sonic fidelity through either type of cable was inaubile to me using Mytek converters. The Myteks were (and still are) clocked internally with one AD acting as the clock master to the other, connected via the wc i/o. YMMV.

Hopefully Bob O. or Brad B. will be willing to check my homework if they happen to read this."
Old 19th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Ok I think I'm reading you clearly this time, faeflora (lol). IIRC, Digidesgin HDSP cards use a proprietary interface. Only a Digi interface will hook up to them. If you wanted to use a legacy interface with an HD system, you'd have to have an HD interface (192, 192 Digital I/O, or 96) and connect your older interface to its legacy port.

Maybe I've hit the nail on the head this time instead of getting caught up in the barbed wire again. Does this help?
Old 19th January 2003
Jitter is only derived in the A/D and or the D/A stages. If somehow jitter is produced from the lightpipe or spdif (from what I understand about the whole process I don't know how that really could be), using a stable wordclock, either derived externally or from a really great converter (ie Mytek) will eliminate that possibility all together.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear