The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Question about Vintech 1272
Old 17th January 2003
Question about Vintech 1272 and Sytek

Does the 1272 and the Sytek MPX-4 have intrument and/or line inputs?? I can't find this info on their website...
Old 17th January 2003
The Vintech has instrument level DI inputs on the front. Mic level inputs on the back. +4 line level balanced outputs.
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

The Vintech has instrument level DI inputs on the front

What are "instrument level" inputs? My Vintech 1272 can't bring a passive guitar/bass output up to line level. When I tried either of my old P-basses, the front inputs were useless. I'm sure that keyboard level signals would be fine, but I own a closet full of old guitars and basses that can't drive those inputs. Active guitar/bass outputs might be fine ?

steve
[email protected]
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

My Sytek 4 channel does not have any 1/4 line inputs
Old 18th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by hollywood_steve
The Vintech has instrument level DI inputs on the front

What are "instrument level" inputs?
Regular 'line level' runs @ 600 ohms +4 signal level. An 'instrument level' input has a much higher impedance (i.e. One Megaohm, maybe less though sometimes, but still ultra high). I believe the typical 'instrument level' ouput runs at -20 level, but I could be wrong there (keys may drive hotter than that and actually generate -10 or hotter)...the signal is definitely much lower (obviously) on something like a guitar than on the line output of a piece of professional outboard gear.
Old 19th January 2003
One with big hooves

Steve, I've run into the same kind of problems using the Vintech 1/4" input. Most basses need all the gain on tap to come up to 0VU at +4. I've used them on stomp boxes while mixing a few times and that seems to be a better use for them. Usually it's not a problem if I plug a bass in and turn the gain all the way up but if the bass has a really low output or the player has a light touch it's close to useless. If both exist at the same time it's totally useless and I get better results with a BSS active DI and the mic input. Go figure.
Old 19th January 2003
Thanks guys!!! So Jay, what kind of stomp boxes do you send thru the Vintech?
Old 21st January 2003
SawSlut

I track bass thru my Vintech about 90% of the time. I'll just switch my DAW's input from +4 to -10. Problem solved. I don't know if I'm doing something 'electronically wrong' but it sure sounds good!

-0z-
Old 22nd January 2003
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Thanks guys!!! So Jay, what kind of stomp boxes do you send thru the Vintech?
Whatever I feel like while mixing. I'll take the output of the pre and take that back to a tape return on the console. It helps the impedance and gives them enough juice.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search