The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
old reverb questions
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

old reverb questions

The EMT discussion sparked some curiosity about other older reeverbs. I have a few of the classics, but there's a couple units I don't hear much about and was curious to see if anyone had an opinion.

One is the Yamaha Rev 1. Is it similar in sound to the rev 7, just with more editing possibilities?

the other is the AKG ADR 68k. I can't find any kind of reviews on this thing.

Any comments on these two?
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

Yamaha Rev 1

We have the Yamaha Rev 1 in our studio 2.

Feedback Recording - www.feedback.dk

It was extremely expensive when we got it back in the 80'es, and it never really became popular among our engeineers. It sounds a tad artificial, and even though the remote control looks impressive, it's quite limited what it can do.

Jakob Erland
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Yamaha Rev 1

Quote:
Originally posted by gyraf
We have the Yamaha Rev 1 in our studio 2.

Feedback Recording - www.feedback.dk

It was extremely expensive when we got it back in the 80'es, and it never really became popular among our engeineers. It sounds a tad artificial, and even though the remote control looks impressive, it's quite limited what it can do.

Jakob Erland
Thanks. I have experience with the Rev 7 and always thought that Yamaha's reverbs had a metallic texture to them that I didn't like. I wasn't sure if the problem was the relatively cheap Rev 7 or Yamaha's algorithms.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

I have one of the older AKG reverb mics and it rules. It's got a spring tank in the body of the mic and you can adjust the reverb blend with a little thumb pot on the front of it. It can instantly make anything sound like a Ventures record!
Old 17th January 2003
Lives for gear

Very few ADR68K's were made (less than 400 from what I heard) and even less are still around that work. Many consider the ADR 68K as a poor mans 480L, and many also think it sounds as good or better than the 480L. Reverb algs developed by Christopher Moore of Ursa Major who also had a hand in the reverb algs for the newer Kurtzweil gear.

Here is some AKG ADR 68K Info.

2-in/4-Out, 16-bit/32kHz only. Can be run as two machines. No digital I/O, 15kHz bandwidth, Multi-sampler can be used with effects, 100-presets, 160 char LCD remote with 4-sliding faders, 4-pedal/trigger 1/4" inputs

List price for the AKG ADR 68K v4.0 (1987) was $6990. The v4.0 upgrade (for v3.07 users) which included 16MB DRAM for 32 seconds mono / 16 second stereo sampler, 4-new reverb algorithms, and improved MIDI functions, and new very well written manual was $1995 list price.

The ADR 68K started out as a top of line Ursa-Major product named the Aurora in 1984/1985. I have heard and/or used every pro reverb made since the 1985 and the v4.0 ADR 68K rates up with the best of them to this day with it's thick, dense, full tone.
Old 17th January 2003
Re: old reverb questions

Quote:
Originally posted by oldgearguy
The EMT discussion sparked some curiosity about other older reeverbs. I have a few of the classics, but there's a couple units I don't hear much about and was curious to see if anyone had an opinion.

One is the Yamaha Rev 1. Is it similar in sound to the rev 7, just with more editing possibilities?

the other is the AKG ADR 68k. I can't find any kind of reviews on this thing.

Any comments on these two?
Hey I sent you an email about the Rev 1.

The AKG ADR 68K is a killer reverb. Like what AudioGaff says it was the designed by the Ursa guys(the Space Station is a classic). I think because it was so expensive, a lot of guys never got to check it out(unless you worked a t some of the top studios).

It sounds different the 480L, but it is still useful(I will pick one up eventually). Try to see if ou can get it with a remote.
Old 18th January 2003
Lives for gear

I haven't worked with either recently but I remember them to be quite cool, each in it's own way. I'd probably consider grabbing either one if offered one on the cheap. BTW, the Space Station RULZ!!! grggt
I' definitely have to get one for my place.
Old 19th January 2003
One with big hooves

What about the Sony units? I know the R7 but the others are a mystery to me. Along the same lines, I've seen some from Korg and even remember EV making something in the early '90's when I had just started getting into this. Never actually seen one in use though.
Old 19th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What about the Sony units? I know the R7 but the others are a mystery to me. Along the same lines, I've seen some from Korg and even remember EV making something in the early '90's when I had just started getting into this. Never actually seen one in use though.
Hey Jay,

Which Sony are we talking about?

Ibanez SDR1000,1000+?

Sony M7,D7,F7?

Sony MUR 201?

Sony DRE 2000?

Korg A1? A5?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search