The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Genetically Engineered Condenser Microphones
Old 22nd April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by thethrillfactor
Its mostly like" wow the subway interesting, db levels of about 85-90db and...woah!!! Check her out, man she's hot!!! Let me go see if i can get her digits!!!"
well... when im on the subway, i will think about its nature. its effect on life, how it was built, i wonder if i sampled a subway tunnel if it would be cool or if i could make it into a reverb tank [i dont think there has been a room i have walked in that i havent thought about the sound of it].... but if there is a hot chick [even though im married, im STILL a guy] im certainly admiring her beauty... just cant ask for her number.
Old 22nd April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk

.... but if there is a hot chick [even though im married, im STILL a guy] im certainly admiring her beauty... just cant ask for her number.

Hey good for you bro, i am sure wifey would appreciate it!!heh
Old 22nd April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie
Alpha,

As you're so different to me I'd like to ask you a few q's. Do you enjoy things that you find challenging more than things you find so easy?
How do you feel about people who don't share your strengths and struggle with things you find effortless?
How would you say your S side assists or limits your work in music?
most certainly. as soon as things become "easy" i dont enjoy doing them much. i guess you could say i only enjoy being in a constant state of learning. i also enjoy sharing with other people a lot.... depending on the person, they have to be "worthy" for me [based on my own subjective opinion]... but someone who "crosses" me will fully lose out on anything they would of gained from me* [and i dont care if they have anything for me to gain from them, ill learn elsewhere.. *see below]

people who dont have my strengths have other strengths which i admire. like i posted before, my wife is completely opposite of me and doesnt have any of the skills i have and cherish... BUT she has skills that i cant even fathom which i admire about her [and WISH i could have a little more of]... i think she thinks the same of me, it amazes her how i can do certain things... and she wishes she could do some of them, but for me to sometimes explain how i do things is difficult just as what she does well is difficult for me to comprehend.'

thrill wrote:"Even though I do consider myself very technically proficient, I guess my thinking is always to put people first(or the relationship aspect)of anything I do."

i dont think this way at all. my talents supercede the relationship always for me [im sure there is some famous quote to insert here about talents over personality... i mean nice people dont always do the best work]. i actaully have a "situation" right now with one of my jobs where a client had hired me to design something for them and asked me to get some pictures from a co-worker who had them... she had already hired someone to do the design [someone who CANT design for ****, its looks like ****... and this person shouldnt even be the person taking care of this job nevermind the "designer" shouldnt even be allowed to design] and proceeded to chew MY ass out in PUBLIC about it even though it wasnt MY concern. i have been told even though i had not done a thing wrong, that i was to apologize to that person... which i will NOT do, or suffer the possibility of not getting more work from the client. i DONT play these politics. if the client wants me to continue working for them and getting some great design for their business, i need an apology from the person who chewed me out.. not the other way around or its not a matter of ME losing THEM as a client, but THEM losing MY talents.

i also think i differ a lot than typical humans especially regarding empathy is that i am more empathetic for the earth than for humans... i kind of see humans as a cancerous infestation on the face of the earth. we are not responsible animals who seek to destroy rather than create, to cause disharmony rather than harmony... and i think will ultimately self destruct.
Old 22nd April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Hey good for you bro, i am sure wifey would appreciate it!!heh
she is fine with it... she will comment too if she is good looking.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:

i also think i differ a lot than typical humans especially regarding empathy is that i am more empathetic for the earth than for humans... i kind of see humans as a cancerous infestation on the face of the earth. we are not responsible animals who seek to destroy rather than create, to cause disharmony rather than harmony... and i think will ultimately self destruct.
Alpha, that is a bleak outlook. It contradicts the part of you that sees beauty in people's souls, and appearance, and that obviously cares about how you operate with people on a personal level. It doesn't sound indifferent like autistic people who show no difference in brain chemistry when shown a picture of an apple or a suffering human so i don't think it's the way your brain is wired it must be what you've learned , it sounds angry and disappointed, it's an unbalanced and distorted view and destructive to hold.

Humans can be magnificent, and can be vile. We are a broad spectrum of capability from destructive to creative. There is love in the world, not only hate.

It's an individual choice where we lie on that spectrum or what parts of that spectrum we choose to see.

I think humans will eventually evolve into more developed and sophisticated beings, they could also destroy the universe, if the science goes too far, and the universe could destroy us. I hope neither occurs but one day it will be over. That makes the here and now more precious.
Old 22nd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Ah yes, but how do you take it when she's looking at a guy?
Old 22nd April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Renie

Humans can be magnificent, and can be vile. We are a broad spectrum of capability from destructive to creative. There is love in the world, not only hate.
well, its not aimed at any particular individual... but show me a picture of a industrial plant dumping waste into a river and show me a picture of a child dying of starvation and i will feel more empathy for the earth over the child. there is only one earth but too many humans.

i fully enjoy good people. and i know some personally. i will see interviews of other people who will fill me with tears with their beauty not even knowing them.... BUT.

humans are destroying the enviroment... im not some big tree hugger who will chain myself to a redwood keeping it from getting cut down. but my answer to 'if a tree fell in a forest and no one was around, would it make a sound?' is "yes, and we are less for not being able to hear the end of a long and strong life of such a majestic creature such as a tree.' i also think that nature is more beautiful in her chaos than man is in his own design.

humans create far too much misery to be empathetic. i guess i am angry and disappointed in humanity on the whole. it sickens me that we build weapons of mass destruction. it sickens me that we pollute our drinking water [the ONLY creature on the planet that does so], it sickens me that we rape, steal, and kill for pleasure.

jax, she doesnt care... i dont care. i can appreciate a good looking guy. im not homophobic.
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
well, its not aimed at any particular individual... but show me a picture of a industrial plant dumping waste into a river and show me a picture of a child dying of starvation and i will feel more empathy for the earth over the child. there is only one earth but too many humans.

i fully enjoy good people. and i know some personally. i will see interviews of other people who will fill me with tears with their beauty not even knowing them.... BUT.

humans are destroying the enviroment... im not some big tree hugger who will chain myself to a redwood keeping it from getting cut down. but my answer to 'if a tree fell in a forest and no one was around, would it make a sound?' is "yes, and we are less for not being able to hear the end of a long and strong life of such a majestic creature such as a tree.' i also think that nature is more beautiful in her chaos than man is in his own design.

humans create far too much misery to be empathetic. i guess i am angry and disappointed in humanity on the whole. it sickens me that we build weapons of mass destruction. it sickens me that we pollute our drinking water [the ONLY creature on the planet that does so], it sickens me that we rape, steal, and kill for pleasure.

jax, she doesnt care... i dont care. i can appreciate a good looking guy. im not homophobic.
I share your anger and disappointment at the destructive side of us humans, but I also see the scales balance with what is special and unique and creative about humans. And what a difficult job we've got trying to negotiate our way in this planet, with our primitive brains and years of confusing social evolution. We are struggling. I see us as part of nature not separate.
It's all chaotic we just attempt to cope with it!! Your list emphasizes the negatives. What about the rest? To say that the negatives outweigh the positives is a defeat of spirit.

Your reply to Jax is thumbsup
Old 23rd April 2003
"i kind of see humans as a cancerous infestation on the face of the earth. we are not responsible animals who seek to destroy rather than create, to cause disharmony rather than harmony... and i think will ultimately self destruct."

NICE!

Ashley I agree withyou, I am not a big "truster" of human kindness myself.

However, if tied to a post in a group fireing squad, I would probably get everyone to sing a song or something.

I am an "organizer".

I will be re-encarnated as a filofax! (or a Palm Pilot!)

Anyhow, Alphas brain is a better study subject!

Carry on!
Old 23rd April 2003
There is only one

renie, thats because im still searching for the positives... can you give one positive thing the human race has done? im hard pressed to think of anything. im talking on the whole... not just giving some person a helping hand. peoples individual lives are far too short, only a billionthmillisecond compared to the earth. but what one grand thing has anyone even done that has made the world a better place than when they left it?

did jesus even do that? as far as i can tell, he has only created more hatred among humans.... not knowingly, but leave it to humans to distort things for their own downfall.
Old 23rd April 2003
Birth control?
Old 23rd April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Birth control?
damn jules... yer good.
Old 23rd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
renie, thats because im still searching for the positives... can you give one positive thing the human race has done? im hard pressed to think of anything. im talking on the whole... not just giving some person a helping hand. peoples individual lives are far too short, only a billionthmillisecond compared to the earth. but what one grand thing has anyone even done that has made the world a better place than when they left it?
Sgt. Pepper's

heh
Old 23rd April 2003
heh

canapé ?
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Odd that someone so closely involved with the arts would not consider the contributions of Beethoven, Charlie Parker, etc. as "species-worthy". Human beings invented literature, music, painting, sculpture, dance, and poetry, to say nothing of mathematics, chess, medicine, movies, chocolate, lingerie, sports, adjectives, irrigation, sailboats, optics, cheese, wine, ice cream, and musical instruments.

Do these balance out weapons of mass destruction, **** death camps, the crusades, witch trials, ethnic cleansing, the spanish inquisition, the KKK, etc.? Possibly. I guess it depends if either the species or civilization or the earth and it's ecosystem manages to survive our presence; which only the future will tell.

But personally I'm far more optimistic that a species which can produce the likes of Isaac Newton and all the stuff in the first paragraph will find a way to triumph over the negatives. Although technology has given us the means to wipe ourselves out, it has also prolonged life expectancy and improved the quality of life. One example of the quality of life improvement is that the amount of leisure time has steadily increased in most societies. By not having to spend our entire waking moments struggling for survival, we now have many other options to pursue, such as recreation, art, romance, etc. At one time some of these things were strictly the province of a tiny elite.

While it is popular to romanticize earlier periods of history (the noble savage, etc.) how many of us really think the quality of life was "better" in pre-technology days? Who wants to give up our anti-biotics, electric guitars, e-mail, flush toilets, cell phones, etc. and go back and live in societies where you were lucky to live to be 40, were severely limited in what you could do by the social class you were born into, where women had no rights, slavery was the norm, travel (for most) was non-existent, and your option of religion was join or die?

I think that while we may have far to go, we've made a lot of progress.
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

"i kind of see humans as a cancerous infestation on the face of the earth. we are not responsible animals who seek to destroy rather than create, to cause disharmony rather than harmony... and i think will ultimately self destruct."

NICE!

Ashley I agree withyou, I am not a big "truster" of human kindness myself.

However, if tied to a post in a group fireing squad, I would probably get everyone to sing a song or something.

I am an "organizer".

--------------

What a great thought, that's beautiful Jules. And what song shall it be?
Let's all die singing when we go, or at least beating out a palsied rhythm with one foot...

This thread really interests me. I have a very similar opinion to Alpha's re the earth and the human race. At our best, we are animals. I've seen a woman play a cello (Bartok) like she was giving birth or gumming a hide or maybe killing somebody- it was incredible, the most primal was the most sophisticated, all at once. In that we are animals, I love humanity. In that we are separate, I have my doubts...

I'm tempted to go back and see about that one question, do you prefer animals to people? I do, strongly, but that doesn't make me less empathetic, although I suspect it's scored that way. Actually, to get the highest score in empathy I think you'd have to be part empathetic and part chicken****. Empathy without courage is not worth a whole lot.

I see the best art and music and loving as redemption- much needed redemption for the individual and the human race. If only partial redemption.
Old 23rd April 2003
Mindreader

It's late, I'm tired and fancy a rant which kind of bypasses humanity!

The dinosaurs became extinct. I wonder if they had made 'progress' before they were wiped off the face of the Earth.

As Alpha said:

"peoples individual lives are far too short, only a billionthmillisecond compared to the earth. but what one grand thing has anyone even done that has made the world a better place than when they left it?"

In that case it doesn't matter what we do. In the vastness of time and space, everything is miniscule compared to the greater whole.

Talking like this makes you realise that human beings aren't equipped to understand what the hell is going on, and what they do is irrelevant. But in our human world we always try and equate the world to what we understand on our planet. Our 'enlightened' science discussions are no more advanced than a conversation about the Sun God as people did thousands of years ago. For the amount there is to know compared to how far we've come in understanding what's happening since those times we are actually no nearer to knowing anything.

I wonder if a stone progresses. Or a molecule. We can do harm to the planet as humans that's for sure. But if you look through a telescope there are the remains of gigantic explosions we see as nebulae which took out millions of systems which all may have contained life as we know it. And our planet has only just recovered from a huge catastrophe which was the meteor that wiped out them dinosaurs. That meteor wasn't environmentaly friendly.

Bad and good come from survival instincts of organisms to promote growth. The common flu virus tries to proliferate and has just as much right to live as we do. But it makes us feel ill so we call it bad.

A man shoots another. Another man rescues another from a fire. A star is born on the other side of the universe. I stub my toe. A car goes past.

Mankind has no clue what is going on or what his role is in the greater scheme of things, and not only can we see just the tiniest part of the universe, we can also only observe it with our human functions.

The only thing that we do know is that we exist and that there are patterns in everything from the way we think to the way physics works to the way I can sometimes always win at cards to the fact that certain music can generate the same abstract moods to everything there is really has a scheme. And to pick the scheme apart just reveals more scheme.

We are part of that scheme. The fact that we're humans doesn't seem to have much to do with anything.

What were dinosaurs 'for'?

What's more important: A The battle of hastings B Your football team winning this season C The extinct Dodo E Lobsters?

Are 'happiness' and 'grief' as tangible as a rock or sun in the overall scheme of things? Well, whatever. We don't even understand the overall scheme of things, not even remotely.

And some people wll fight about whether they did or didn't know about it. It doesn't seem to bother my cats.

I had a nice day today. It was sunny.
I tried to be 'good'. I am lucky as humans go kind of right about now. Does that 'mean' anything?

*Brought to you by Bev The Seer Of Nothing And Generally Happy*
Old 23rd April 2003
Some people regard themselves as the most interesting thing they know of.

Meaning that the study of their own brains and inward looking "understanding" of how they themselves tick, is the most fascinating topic they can honestly think of.

I dont share this view but I can see it as valid.

IS anyone here 'fascinated' by themselves? Their own individual specimen of the human race?

I am not teasing either, it's a serious question.
Old 23rd April 2003
Mindreader

You personally are the only thing you can ever experience and know. You are alone your whole life being you. No one ever comes in, it's impossible. It's a solitary existance.

How to learn more about it is up to every individual, but from taking all your clothes off and running through the snow as a way of finding yourself to going into meditation for 100 years, it's always personal!

And from my last post, if you did learn more about it, what for? Is that helping..something?

People need religion 'cos most of this stuff is too mind bending.

Especially when your up this late as me and Jules's are....zzzzzz

I'm off to bed for a mindbending cosmos dream....where that Tangerine Dream album...
Old 23rd April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
Some people regard themselves as the most interesting thing they know of.
i bore myself... just a few posts here talking about what makes me tick is starting to put me to sleep, or is it the ambien?

i've been told im an existentialist, yet i dont read those philisophers and never have. i came to their apparent conclusion without their prior insights to it. i had a pragmatist tell me i was wrong... seemed he proved my philisophy without realizing it.

does anyone here read any tom robbins?

i wonder if its just plain how your brain is wired that you have a disposition towards music. does anyone else here not understand why they are afflicted with this "disease"? i sure as hell dont... but its some innate drive that i can not seem to relieve myself of.

did the apple of knowledge really **** humans up in a way that they became bothered by things they arent capable of understanding? i have had glimpses of things that i still cannot comprehend, and severely question if i was supposed to see... life, and death... is still quite a mystery to me, although death isnt scary in the act of leaving, but what is scary to me is the act of leaving here and not seeing this all played out as far as i can go.

bev said:
Talking like this makes you realise that human beings aren't equipped to understand what the hell is going on, and what they do is irrelevant. But in our human world we always try and equate the world to what we understand on our planet. Our 'enlightened' science discussions are no more advanced than a conversation about the Sun God as people did thousands of years ago. For the amount there is to know compared to how far we've come in understanding what's happening since those times we are actually no nearer to knowing anything.

so true... and my disgust as said before isnt necessarily FOR the earth as a being. she will be here long after us and die with the sun, but the disgust i think stems from the fact that we are killing ourselves. mother earth chould take us out at any time, so could the universe... but they seem to just let us slowly and methodically ruin ourselves, possibly in hopes we will "wake up"... that is what disgusts me about humans, so many are asleep.
Old 23rd April 2003
Mindreader

Fcku all that rubbish, back to me.

I just found that test thing that you lot were doing.

I got

eq 56
sq 52

What does that mean? Can I give up music now and become a mediator for a self help group of nuclear scientists or get a job sweeping floors while I piss people off?
Old 23rd April 2003
Quote:

Are these humans or just men in general?

I think it goes towards the music industry and also the studio biz.

Hey we can complain all day, but in the end we are partly responsible also.

Its weird that out of the 1,467 members that are registered, only one woman(Renie) will dare to post(well I guess if you count Jules' gal that makes two).heh

But the people that buy the most music are women, women artists outsell their male counterparts.

And still things continue to be the same(or getting worse).

I hope we have more women in the biz(maybe some top music execs would be cool).

It sure would shake things up around here.
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

Jules sez: "IS anyone here 'fascinated' by themselves? Their own individual specimen of the human race?

I am not teasing either, it's a serious question."

Yes, the way I'm fascinated by auto wrecks.

just read in Borges about a man who spends his whole life creating a comprehensive picture of the world and everything in it- on his deathbed, he takes a last look and realizes he's done a self-portrait.

I just absolutely live to work with certain women in this biz, and hope to find a few more to live for too. I mean that quite literally- I would not likely be alive if I didn't have these prospects to live for.

I see the late Beatles work and lives as recognizing that the next step and perhaps the only one really worth taking: to pursue what happens between the sexes musically. The basic principle of Magick is the feminine plus the masculine- That's evident enough in John and Paul, goes both ways for sure.

AJ- I despise Tom Robbins. Yes I've read him. There's something so smug and complacent about it all- I really got tired of the phrase "perfect grapefruit breasts" when reading "Still Life with Woodpecker."

An old psychedelic Viet vet friend defines existentialism as follows: "I give mankind 1 chance in a million. And I have to take that chance."
I absolutely live for that barely explored territory.
Old 23rd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Its weird that out of the 1,467 members that are registered, only one woman(Renie) will dare to post(well I guess if you count Jules' gal that makes two).heh
Faeflra counts. So does MixerVixen. Who's Jules' gal, MegLeeChin? She hasn't posted for several months...

I don't think it has anything to do with 'daring.' Of all the registered members, only a fraction, male or not, have posted on this particular topic. It has to do with males vastly outnumbering females both here on this forum and in the professional audio industry in general. I'm not sure why this industry is male-dominated, but the holistic perspective and calming balance that women can bring to any part of any culture is certainly lacking here.
Old 23rd April 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by Ted Nightshade
AJ- I despise Tom Robbins. Yes I've read him. There's something so smug and complacent about it all- I really got tired of the phrase "perfect grapefruit breasts" when reading "Still Life with Woodpecker."
whats wrong with perfect grapefruit breasts? and complacent would hardly be a word used to describe his writings... have you only read the one book that is ALL about sex? ever read skinny legs and all? jitterbug perfume? i guess you shouldnt read half asleep in frogs pajamas then, too much sex although the main character doesnt have perfect grapefruit breasts.

thrill: women maybe outsell men, although im not sure i believe that figure... but they are run by men [who made the pop divas?] and i would say my collection of music mimicks the rate of women to men in this forum.... my collection is mostly man made music. there are very few women i buy musically. amber valentine, hope sandoval, and janis are the only 3 that spring to mind off the top of my head. i have only worked with one woman in my studio although it was somewhat pleasurable, but she didnt have herself together enough to finish the whole deal. lee flier posts here from time to time too. i dont know if its daring either, but i surely welcome it. too much testosterone is a bad thing.
Old 23rd April 2003
Lives for gear

"whats wrong with perfect grapefruit breasts?"

That phrase has got to be the pure essence of smugness. "perfect" is smug enough my itself, but what condition would a woman have to have to have spherical breasts? Siliconiosis, probably. Repeat that phrase as often as Robbins, did, it's like a mantra to the media.

" and complacent would hardly be a word used to describe his writings... have you only read the one book that is ALL about sex? ever read skinny legs and all? jitterbug perfume?"

I've read those two as well. Most of it strikes me as very self-congratulatory. The one thing I WILL always treasure is the scene in Cowgirls Get the Blues where essence of pussy is dabbed behind the ear as a perfume- I like that a lot. Great idea, by the way.

Have you ever read any of the Joyce Carol Oates short stories from the past 10 years or so? That stuff is completely scathing and highly subsersive- try "Where Is Here" or "Faithless" on for size and you'll see what I'm saying about Robbins.
Old 23rd April 2003
"Faeflra counts. So does MixerVixen. Who's Jules' gal, MegLeeChin? She hasn't posted for several months..."

Meg lee Chin is the Web Mistress for Gearslutz, she's the tech internet expert I hire to fix stuff here. She set the whole deal up for me and is great at building web sites (hint hint) She's very busy, has her mic, laptop PC & Apogee MiniMe and is recording her second album right now with varios colaberators.

http://www.megleechin.com

We aren't going out though...
Old 23rd April 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by Jax
Faeflra counts. So does MixerVixen. Who's Jules' gal, MegLeeChin? She hasn't posted for several months...

I don't think it has anything to do with 'daring.' Of all the registered members, only a fraction, male or not, have posted on this particular topic. It has to do with males vastly outnumbering females both here on this forum and in the professional audio industry in general. I'm not sure why this industry is male-dominated, but the holistic perspective and calming balance that women can bring to any part of any culture is certainly lacking here.
Sorry Jax I meant to the forumn in general.

The reason males dominate the industry is the same in any industry... CONTROL + MONEY=POWER!!!!

Take those things away and watch them turn into animals.

I like women's opinions on the whole music scene. Its very real, more realistic than a lot of guys I know. The problem is they will never get the oppurtunity to express it. Once they try, they are told to either shut up or "oh just let her say what she wants, she will get over it" attitude. Or the other one...she is just a b*tch with a power trip.

Like I said earlier I hope we have some kinda change. I remember growing up, I remember thinking "man they should let some of us young guys decide on the music that gets realesed", that happened(middle 90's till now) and that's actually made things worse(it goes to show how shallow we can be when we were younger).
Old 23rd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
lee flier posts here from time to time too.
Cool! I didn't know Lee was a gal.
Old 23rd April 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry Jax I meant to the forumn in general.

That's what I meant as well, by pointing out the vast discrepancy of men to women on Gsz.

The problem is they will never get the oppurtunity to express it. Once they try, they are told to either shut up or "oh just let her say what she wants, she will get over it" attitude. Or the other one...she is just a b*tch with a power trip.
Well then I'm glad to report that my experience with women in the industry has been a bit different than that. I think the above is a very old-fashioned, sexist attitude that mostly died out over the 70's and 80's when women became liberated in the workforce. Maybe it's liberal California, but I've yet to meet a woman in this industry who let herself be treated like wallpaper and dirt. Infact, most of the audio women I've known have been quite the opposite, and there was one in particular who was very outspoken and wouldn't take **** from any human. I wish she still lived up in this part of the state.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search