The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Does it make any difference to write your CD-R's at faster or slower speeds ???
Old 15th January 2003
Here for the gear

Does it make any difference to write your CD-R's at faster or slower speeds ???

I was wondering if it was true that you get better sound quality if you write your CD-R's at a slower speed (8x's as opposed to 10x) ????
Old 15th January 2003
Gear Guru

Re: Does it make any difference to write your CD-R's at faster or slower speeds ???

E,

> I was wondering if it was true that you get better sound quality if you write your CD-R's at a slower speed <

My current burner runs at 24x and it sounds fine to me. When I play back a CD it sounds exactly like the Wave file it came from.

Some people say that higher speeds result in more errors which can make a difference if the CD is sent to a duplicating plant.

--Ethan
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

pretty much everyone i know has an opinion on this...

I subscribe to the " go at the slowest speed your burner supports for masters, ans go as fast as you can for everything else" group

I think this was more of an issue in years gone by? I have never has a disc rejected for high error rates.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

I saw about this on another very extensive thread and can't find it, as I don't know where it is, so take the info how you like. The general conclusion I read, was that with today's type of burner and with today's type of media, that it is best to at least be at 4x-8x burn speed, as the slower burn times actually have a chance to corrupt a disc or burn too long on one spot...
As far as faster speeds, i.e. 24x, I don't know if there are any negative consequences. I usually burn at 8x and have a very high success rate. I'll still look for the thread.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

I kinda agree with the other posters....I bet it doesnt matter too much...I'm usually burning at 4x.
Methinks there is a lot of other stuff to worry about rather than burn speed.
Old 17th January 2003
One with big hooves

I don't think so. My burner is 8x max and I usually do 2x or 4x unless I'm burning a quick rough for the car or duping discs. Mostly because I tend to get more coasters at the higher speeds and it's not related to the media I use. It's either the software, burner or computer or a combination. I'd rather worry about other things.
Old 17th January 2003
Lives for gear

It is usually considered to be better practive to burn at slower speeds as it produces less errors. There was a very interesting article on CDR discs and drives by Glen Meadows of Masterfonics 2-3 years back, and error rates increased with burn speeds.

Where as it is fine to burn discs at faster speeds that sound great when they are played back, there can be numerous problems when they are used as a PQ master for replication. Replication as it is a plastic moulding process by its very nature introduces a certain amount of data error, but this can be kept within tolerance and is therefore easily corrected with the error correction built into a modern CD player. The problems occur when you present a CD plant with a CDR containing unknown quantities of block errors that are then transferred to the glass and lead to a poor quality pressing master. Errors on errors if you like! I have heard CD's with high error rates and they can sound like old records! Even at the lessor end of the scale they can screw up the sound. Consequently we always exabyte PQ masters for the parity checking ability.

Regards

Roland
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Maniac

The CD-R in the Masterlink burns at 4X, reputedly because it's the best balance of error correction and quality of recording by the laser to the dye layer.
Old 18th January 2003
Gear Addict

I think it really depends on the particular burner you use.

I usually do masters at 2x or 4x as well.

However - I just bought a Yamaha CRW-F1DX

It rocks my world. It uses CAV (constant Angular Velocity) to achieve greater consistency and higher quality at all
The 44x copies sound fine. But - it has an "audio master mode" that will only burn at 1x 4x and 8x.

Quote:
By increasing the length of pits and lands, thereby using more of the recordable CD space for the same amount of information, the Audio Master Quality Recording System drastically reduces the jitter effect. However, this does not just result in better sounding music. There are notable benefits for data recordings as well. Reducing background jitter slows the deterioration of the recording that naturally occurs over time, thus extending life of your valuable data.
But here are some links :
http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/...cdrw/crwf1.asp
http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/tech/aam_01.asp
even a graph ! :
http://www.yamahamultimedia.com/yec/...amqr_chart.asp
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear