The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
I Need Help-Fast(Talkbox)
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

I Need Help-Fast(Talkbox)

I'm looking for that Roger Troutman(RIP) Teddy Riley Sound out of the Talkbox. How can I and where do I get it fast. I need it for a couple of project's. I have the Heil Talkbox but it just does'nt sound the same. Can someone please help.
I know this is the forum to ask for great help.

Thanx Guys
M2E
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

recorded a talk box just one time ... not much experience to share , sorry grudge
Old 14th January 2003
Wasn't a lot of the Zapp stuff vocoder? If so, a few multi fx boxes have vocoder patches you could try. Other than that you'd have to trawl Ebay or the second hand guitar pedal dealers for different versions of the 'Talk Box'. I believe Electro Harmonix did one. It may even have been reissued.
Anyway, I thought Frampton was 'talk box' and Troutman was vocoder and possibly a bit of talk box.
Old 14th January 2003
Moderator emeritus

If it helps, Digitech is making a talkbox that's fairly nice (and sounds diferent than the Heil).
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

Roger Troutman used some type of hybrid voicebox. As I understand it, Teddy used the Roland Vocoder. If you use a heil box or banshee or the like, I suggest going to the handware store with it and buying various tubing for it for a couple reasons: #1, Try getting tubing that more elastic, but has a smaller diameter that the tube provided. This will drastically make it sound better. I know this sound gross, but shove the tube way to the back of your mouth. Use choroseptic if you think you are going to gag. #2, It's hygenic because you can replace the tubing instead of using a nastified peice of tube that looks, smells, and probably tastes funky.

The vocoder in Virus sucks as sounds more like Battleship Galatica. The Bruno plug in does a great job and if memory serves, digitalaudiorock had a good preset.
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

different sized tubing....very good...i will from time to time use a small metal insert in the end of the tube...it brightens the hell out of it and knocks all the plaque outta yer teeth at the same time....saves on dental bills...also try using it with a cry-baby set a various parts of its sweep
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

I know the first guy to ever use a talkbox (Mike Pinera of the Iron Butterfly...his is also the one you hear on Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow). The thing that makes the BIGGEST diferrence, is you are using an actual talkbox, is the speaker/driver. Many will modify it to produce a smoother/cleaner tone. Some heavy compression on the guitar or keyboard will also help.

However, you would probably get closer to what you want with a "vocoder/synth based talkbox." This might sound crazy, but for that sound, you should get a used roland 1680 or 1880 w/ fx board. It comes with a great vocoder, plus a ton of other fx. I use an 1880 as just an fx processor.
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

Roger T was a freakin' genius and i reckon 80% of his sound was pure TALENT.....(sorry, not very helpful, i know!)
Old 15th January 2003
member no 666

It's pretty tough to get a real "Vocoder" effect out of a talkbox... try using a keyboard instead of guitar and you might get something useable with some experimentation.

Best of luck.
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Check your inbox for some Talkbox help I sent ya.
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

You guys are great buy the way. Jules you have a special forum goin on here man... Can't wait to meet ya when I get in London.
Anyway, Does anybody have anything I could hear so I know what I'm going to get.

Again Thanx guys- I'm in a crunch. I'm going to do the talkbox part last. So I can get more ideas from you guys before I go out and spend the money. I'am willing to pay anything for that certain sound by the way. Or should I say that certain Talkbox...

M2E
Old 26th August 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I know the first guy to ever use a talkbox (Mike Pinera of the Iron Butterfly...his is also the one you hear on Jeff Beck's Blow By Blow). The thing that makes the BIGGEST diferrence, is you are using an actual talkbox, is the speaker/driver. Many will modify it to produce a smoother/cleaner tone. Some heavy compression on the guitar or keyboard will also help.

However, you would probably get closer to what you want with a "vocoder/synth based talkbox." This might sound crazy, but for that sound, you should get a used roland 1680 or 1880 w/ fx board. It comes with a great vocoder, plus a ton of other fx. I use an 1880 as just an fx processor.
When I saw Jeff Beck with BB&A in early '72 he was using a Kustom "The Bag" driven by a chrome faced Fender Champ for his talkbox.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear