The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
What converter chips in Apogee Duet/Ensemble? VS what's going to be in AIO...
Old 3rd July 2008
Gear Addict

What converter chips in Apogee Duet/Ensemble? VS what's going to be in AIO...

Does anyone know which converter chips Apogee uses in Duet/Ensemble?

I'm asking 'cause I need a soundcard with a pretty good conversion and I was meant to buy RME HDSPe AIO but it doesn't seem to be coming out any time soon. It was supposed to come out last summer, last november, last march, last may, not before june and now a sales rep from a music store told me that maybe in late july.

The thing just is that I don't wanna wait forever for something that may come some day...who knows when. I've even heard some rumours that RME has delayed the release because of some financial problems or something like that.

And the other thing about HDSPe AIO is that it was supposed to be using Hi-End Cirrus Logic AD/DA converters that are used by RME in their AD-8 QS converters, but now they say that the converters are going to be cheaper not as good TI's PCM4202 for AD and PCM4104 for DA.

So now I don't know if the converters in Apogee Duet are better or worse than what's going to be in HDSPe AIO. Can someone who knows something about converters speculate?..

If the conversion is better or as good in Apogee, then the only thing going for AIO would be the near zero latency... And I suppose I could work around that in Duet...
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

I don't know which converter chips are in what, but I do know that the chips that are used play just a small part in the overall sonic quality of a converter, so the chips alone will not tell you whether one particular box will sound better or worse than the next...
Old 3rd July 2008
Gear Addict

Well yes, I should have mentioned that I realize that there are other things that factor in... But still...what is used in Apogee Duet and are those TI chips good...used in anything else? I haven't found any info on either product on this topic.
Old 3rd July 2008
Lives for gear

I don't know what chips are in the Duet and Ensemble, but I do know that, to me, they sound better than any computer interface I've ever heard, as well as most standalone converters (including the RME)...
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

I´ve been searching for a couple of hours now but still can´t find which converters the Duet is using...
All other companies are proudly announcing exactly which converter chip they are using but Apogee is really quiet in this matter, almost as they try to hide something...
Anyone who knows?
Old 28th October 2008
Gear Nut

AFAIK it's a CIRRUS LOGIC CS4272 CODEC.
Old 28th October 2008
Lives for gear

Wow, a CODEC, huh?!
Old 29th October 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimbo View Post
Wow, a CODEC, huh?!
ADC and DAC in a package. What's the problem with that again ?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search