The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
should I stop mixing in pro tools?
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bombguy
> [Does] PT sound flat and lifeless because it is too clinically accurate and
> doesn't have any analog electronics to enliven the sound?

That's my vote.

--Erik
Well, aren't you and I agreeable these days? (And please take my recent purchase of your Fairchild and Sansamp as a token of regret for any past incivility).

-R
Old 16th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by s2n
Know what your converters are calibrated to and observe 0.0Vu.
Hitting PT's master fader at near 0.0dBFS is the equivalent of driving an analog console's mix bus to +22dBu;
Except that the analog consoles' distortion rises as you approach +22dBu, while the digital signals' distortion drops as it gets closer to 0dBFS.
Quote:
Originally posted by s2n
you're gonna hear the transformers working overly hard at that level. It all comes down to gain staging. Proper gain staging in digital is more important then in analog. In analog, you simply pull down the master fader. In digital, the "mix sum" is performed before the master fader, so pulling the master fader down reduces the volume...not the "stress" on the summation. And, all the inserts on PT TDM's master fader are post-fader...MasterX3 and L2 won't help.
Except that pulling down the master fader on an analog console in no way reduces the levels hitting the mix bus. It too is located after the mix amp, otherwise they couldn't use a stereo fader (though a ganged 32 channel fader might work!)
Old 16th January 2003
jon
Capitol Studios Paris

Quote:
Originally posted by RKrizman
I think that by "correct" they mean that the mix bus adds things accurately, and that any error is imperceivable
Which mix bus has Erik's mentioned trinity approved as "correct": The MixPlus or the HD mix bus?

I believe that one of them has been marketed as an improvement over the other one.
Old 17th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jon
Which mix bus has Erik's mentioned trinity approved as "correct": The MixPlus or the HD mix bus?

I believe that one of them has been marketed as an improvement over the other one.
You would have to ask Erik. I'm an HD user myself. My understanding is that HD doesn't necessarily have a "better" sounding mix bus, just more headroom and no dithering back to 24 bits when your mix spans a chip. So it has greater capacity and can carry a heavier load without crapping out. I'm guessing that up to a certain project size both systems would sound the same.

-R
Old 17th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Robinhood

PS
remember Bomguy makes plugins for Pt's. Dont you see a slight conflict of interests there?.
LOL! Have you seen Erik's past history with digidesign?!?! I hardly think Erik has some type of agenda considering his public history with them.
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear