The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
akai s950 question Drum Machines & Samplers
Old 9th November 2004
Lives for gear

akai s950 question

i purchased a used s950 off ebay this year. the unit seems fine, however it seems the output level of the unit is very low. i make sure to sample at the max levels before clipping. however the output level of the unit is weaker than the incoming signal even if i crank the output all out. the output level makes the levels a little louder but its not adequate. to get around this i have been giving the signal a slight boost through a di amp before printing digital. this is fine as a workaround since its a 12 bit unit and i am not worried about achieving"highest fidelity" etc. however this issue still bothers me.

could the output amp on the unit be dying? is there something i am missing?

electric
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear

I used one for years - and the output was HOT.. would nearly overload my line mixer.

Try the individual outs - see if those are weak, too.
"-)
Old 10th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Hi

Make sure the individual sample volume and program volume is full on.
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear

i have tried changing the sample output volume. this didnt fix it. i have not tried the other outputs. i'll give this a shot and see what happens.

electric
Old 10th November 2004
JGP
Gear Head

s950 fun

Also, OT, just for fun choose a sample and in the sample ed page find "resample at half bandwidth" and do that a bunch of times in succession...
Old 10th November 2004
Gear Maniac

Hey, what do you think of this unit? I mean, tonally? What did you use before this?

-Stephen
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear

I sold mine last year.. it was my drum workhorse for YEARS.

For industrial or hip-hop drums.. it just rocks. 12-bit, baby
"-)
Old 10th November 2004
Lives for gear

well assigning to different outputs helped a bit. i am still convinced the unit may be slightly deffective . the issue is not that big of a deal though.

i was normally using the "mix" output as my signal out. i believe the "mix",left,and right output are tied to the level pot on the front side of the unit. (outputs 1-8 are not). once i assigned the output to channel 1 or 2 the output seemed slightly hotter. maxing out the volume of the sample in edit menu can get the volume up to a more reasonable level. its still not blazing hot though. it strikes me odd that i cannot clip the input meters of my mixer. the s950 still seems like it should be able to output a HOTTER signal. others in this thread have already confirmed this. oh well, so i cant blow out my speakers with the thing.i still can get the unit to do what i want it to.

the unit still rocks. it adds a broad range of sonic possibilities. the variable rate sampling freq is killer. people forget to mention this aspect of the s950.

electric
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search