The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which one do you recomend Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 8th January 2003
Which one do you recomend

Hello guys!
I have a small recording studio here in Brazil and today I went to work as a freelancer on a major studio that had a whole bunch of cool gear .
Now I'm at home dreaming (and planning) which piece of gear I'll try to get in the next 6 months.
I record mostly rock bands and I'm looking for good pres that will stay with me for the rest of my life and I plan to use them for about everything , and from what I've been reading around here those are my choices:

Syteks
Great River ME-1NV
John Hardy M1
Speck 5.0
Earthworks Lab 1 or 101
Grace 101
RNP

or

I was looking at Old School Audio stuff and there is good reviews about them... and the fact that I can get the rack and add them later is a nice point to think about... so I could get other OSA stuff or API stuff...
The thing is, do you guys know any other places that make the racks to mount those kind of pres?
Old 8th January 2003
One with big hooves

I haven't used the Speck or the RNP. The Speck seems expensive for what it is but I'm sure it doesn't suck. The only one I'd cross off the list is Earthworks. I'm just not knocked out by those pres. They aren't bad, just very very clean and fast, not always in a good way.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

I would add the Buzz Audio MA2.2, which I love - particularly on acoustic instruments and vocals
Old 8th January 2003
API make a 4 mic pre in a 1U rackmount unit.

Classic & easy to transport.

Old 8th January 2003
Gear Head

I've gotta admit if I had the choice of one mic pre it would be the Crane Song Flamingo - warm sounding, crystal-clear and fast response. Although it's on the transparent side it has both a
Clean and Fat mode - sorta like dual personalties. It manages to sound fat while still retaining a nice, very open top end. I use it on everything both in the studio & live ... awesome.

Combining the Flamingo with a Neve, Telefunken, Peach or other colored mic pre usually results in a well balanced recording and mix.

My desert island choice - the Crane Song Flamingo, worth considering ... MTC.
Forestville Sydney Australia
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com

Old 8th January 2003
Where can I find more info (and price) for the Buzzs???
The thing is... alll those pres are at $1K range... I guess the Flamingo goes well over it doesn't it? eek!

I am really interested in getting a lunchbox API compatible so I can add APIs and OSAs on it... and have some different flavors... and the price (OSA at least) is not that bad... if you fill a 8 slot lunchbox each channel goes for around $600... not bad huh? but it only worth if you plan to fill it (8 slots)...

Am I right?? or not?
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Head

Jeronimo,

"The thing is... alll those pres are at $1K range... I guess the Flamingo goes well over it doesn't it? eek!"

Yeh ... sorry to say it usually does. :eek:
Forestville Sydney Australia
Email: [email protected]
Internet: http://www.gtamusic.com
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

The Buzz costs around £1500 in the UK (around $2500) for two channels, but I don't know how that compares with prices elsewhere.

They have a reasonable website at www.buzzaudio.co.nz
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Addict

The Buzz is about $1800 (US) and is on my list too.

Great River MP2NV is great for rock as well, I love mine. Color or cleaner.

RNP is a great "bang for the buck" unit that sees a lot of use here. Especially on dynamics. It's not a first line/go-to pre for me though.

If it's truly a lifetime pre you should spend the extra money to get what you want, otherwise... you'll STILL want it!
Old 8th January 2003
Yeah... that's what I'm looking for... something that makes me not want anything else (if it's possible )...
How does the RNP compares to... Great Rivers, Syteks (I feel like the Syteks are one level below the top liners... )?
Anywhere where I can find API lunchboxes for good prices?
Old 8th January 2003
It's a given for me that the Great River 1-NV is indeed great. Phoenix Audio UK is supposed to be coming out with a one channel version of the DRS-2, maybe late February. Old School Audio is also a professional top shelf piece of kit too with a few tonal options (3 to be exact).
Old 9th January 2003
Yeah... I don't know how am I gonna do this... but I'm seriously thinking about the OSA...
Anyone heard the Syteks 4ch?
Any place where I can get API lunchboxes for good prices?
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

you might want to look at

this link:

http://www.3daudioinc.com/cgi-bin/ul...&f=18&t=000001

An interesting idea that has my attention. A lunchbox that can hold pres from Buzz and Great River (and others?)...
Old 9th January 2003
That one is looking good.... but as I said... Buzz stuff is a little out of my budget
I hope the open standard get serious!!!

Any other options in lunchboxes?
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Yeah... I don't know how am I gonna do this... but I'm seriously thinking about the OSA...
Anyone heard the Syteks 4ch?
Any place where I can get API lunchboxes for good prices?
Most of the pre-made racks are pretty spendy. Building your own is an option if you have the requisite soldering skills.
If you're looking for a pre to do all your primary overdubs through, ala vocals/ guitar, I'd pick the MP-1NV. The Sytek and RNP seem more geared to when you need a lot of channels without spending $1k per. The Grace and Earthworks units are nice for when you're after flat-out transparency, but all four of these are gonna stay on the clean side of the fence. The Hardy is a classic, though still fundamentally a clean piece, while I know nothing about the Speck's sound. The Great River seems like it would give you the most flexibility from cleaner to more colored, depending on what you need for each source. You can of course accomplish this with multiple different pres, but I assume you're starting with just one as your primary channel.
I understand the OSA stuff ranges from clean to API-ish attitude, so if you can afford a couple different models in the same rack, that's a flexible option too. HTH
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Personally, if I had a recording space and intended to record rock bands, I'd go API (probably the 3124, 1 space 4-pre unit). It's strictly a matter of taste, but I've always been knocked out by the clean and powerful sound of API gear, especially on drums, bass and guitars, and it's great on vocals too. I'd start out with the 3124 and add other colors in time (GR 1NV or another Neve-ish pre would be soon to follow).

Here's one caveat though ... if you are recording to a host-based DAW, you'll need to consider how you are monitoring. Unless you somehow mult the preamp output (without degrading the signal), you'll be monitoring through the DAW, which can be less than ideal because of latency. A lot of newer preamps have additional ouputs for "zero-latency monitoring", which unfortunately played a big part in my recent preamp purchase (Summit 2BA-221: solid state input, tube output, variable mic impedence, lots of sonic variations).

-- David Tobocman
Old 9th January 2003
JB3
Gear Addict

API's, Modular, and Which One...

Jeronimo and Friends,

Flavors. Preferences. This along with flexibility are, to me, the name of the game, sonically.

What I have preferred to do, and what I am in process of, is building, as cost-effectively as possible, a way to do and have just that...the ability to pick and choose the sonic flavor that matches my preferences for the sounds being recorded.

I do mostly rock. I now have two channels of Neve-like (Vintech X81), Two channels of Tube (Older Summit Pre), and am in the process of trying to determine which of the API products is best for the next two to four channels...

For this purpose, a rack suits best, whether lunchbox or standard 19", allowing movement to different locality if necessary and ability to interchange.

Since there currently is no standard for the small racks I am either going to go with API 312 (Brent Averill) units (transformer coupled) or API 512 (ATI Gp/API) (capacitor coupled) or OSA (Old School Audio) (transformer coupled) in a rack large enough to handle at least 4 pre's and an additional two API graphic eq units .

I think you (Jeronimo) are headed in the right direction by going modular, and probably API/OSA, as like the Neves, they are reliable and produce sound you can trust.

heh

Having said this, a side question: Does anybody out there have experience enough to note the differences between the various API modules noted - the 312, 512, and OSA's. If so, would you please share your experiences?

rollz

...J

...It's all about the sound
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

The syteks are sonically in the same league as the rest. They do, however, have a less heavy-duty casing than the other ones mentioned, and I would guess that that's where Sytek saves a lot of money. They also are transformerless, and transformers cost $$. They also do not have a roll off or phase reverse. The things I find most appealing about the Syteks are the high gain, low noise, high headroom, three dimensional sound, and smooth yet highly detailed top end.
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

REcommendation

I love my John Hardys. I like the RNPs; they're brighter (in a good way) than the Syteks, although the Syteks have a little more depth to them (I'm not a Sytek fan, although plenty of folks use 'em to good effect). The Speck is a very muscular, present, and clean pre; I like it a lot on bass, and it has a lot of bells and whistles but, if the bells and whistles aren't of much use to you, the Speck may not offer a lot of bang for the buck.
Old 9th January 2003
As I'm trying to get rid of my old Tascam 2524, I'll need around 10ch of pres before I do that...
So, I was thinking about a Sytek 4ch (forgot the model) a RNP and use the 4 pres from my 001 and my Korg on the toms and stuff, and my VC6 (Meek) so I could sell the board.
And then start building my 8 space lunchbox from OSA w/ some OSA stuff and some API... but then... I'll have the syteks and RNP around... will they get obsolete or will they still have use after my lunchbox is filled?
Ohhh I gotta say that the lunchbox will take a few years to get filled
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Addict

2524 evolution

As I'm trying to get rid of my old Tascam 2524, I'll need around 10ch of pres before I do that...
So, I was thinking about a Sytek 4ch (forgot the model) a RNP
[/QUOTE]

Y'know, I was in the exact same position less than two years ago: I had two channels of John Hardy and a 2524. I bough two sets of 4 ch. Syteks and went to work (rh section went through the Syteks). The 2524 did a lot to undo my hard work. Such a muddy, small sound. I bought a Harrison board for relatively cheap (despite an insane amount of hassling with digibid), which I love (now that I've spent 2k getting it up and running), and sold the Syteks (I use the Speck for bass, RNPs for room mic and the board for the rest of the kit, but the Harrison sounds plenty good on those instruments; I just wanted a little tonal variety) and 2524 and my world is so much better. What I'm trying to say is maybe you should not buy all these pres and try to find a better board that you can track AND mix with. Even with the better pres (and I really don't think the Syteks are that great) your sound's gonna suffer. You'd need to find a real deal on a board, but it really can be done. Good luck, whatever you decide. -E
Old 10th January 2003
I'm not planning to mix w/ a board... I think if I have good pres and some good compressors I can get good results mixing inside PT...
I just did a work on a major studio around here, and I was impressed how easy was to mix when everythiing was tracked right and with good pres (avalon 737 and CIB)...
Old 11th January 2003
What about the Vintech 1272? How does it sound? Nevish??? It goes for around $1300 right?
Have anyone heard the Davisound stuff????
Old 12th January 2003
JB3
Gear Addict

Vintech...

Jeronimo...

Just recently added in two channels Vintech X81, I think this is essentially the same (1272) pre with the 1081 EQ section. Verrrry sweet. Put them up against two Brent Averill recapped Neve 1073's and could not really discern a difference...

As always, YMMV.

...J rollz
Old 12th January 2003
Re: Vintechs...

Quote:
Originally posted by JB3
Jeronimo...

Just recently added in two channels Vintech X81, I think this is essentially the same (1272) with the 1081 EQ section. Verrrry sweet. Put them up against two Brent Averill recapped Neve 1073's and could not really discern a difference...

As always, YMMV.

...J rollz
The preamp in the X81 and the Dual 72 sound a lot different. The X81 is a little clearer and airier in the top with what sounds like a flatter bottom. The Dual 1272 is larger in the bottom with a more solid flatter top.
Old 12th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by slipperman
The Speck does as much, if not more stuff than the ME-1NV or the John Hardy "Personal M-1"... which are both more expensive than the Speck... and to me, though it sounds different, it sounds no less lovely than either the ME-1NV or the "personal M-1"...

The RNP just happens to be a hell of a bargain... and the Speck EQ is also a hell of a bargain... the "5.0" mic pre just happens to be priced more like it should be... that doesn't make it overly expensive, just realistically priced.

Damn fine unit too...
I know what a Great River MP-1NV is. What's an ME-1NV, is that something new?
Old 12th January 2003
So, you guys think a Vintech 1272 will be something that I won't sell later, right?
I'm asking all this 'cause I don't have access to try any of those pres... and after I buy it, it's gonna be a hassle to sell it... but anyways...

Anything about the Davisound? I've read very good comments about'em :eek:
Old 12th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
What's an ME-1NV, is that something new?
My guess... ME = Mercenary Edition
Old 13th January 2003
Nice shot!!!
Old 13th January 2003
Gear Head

ME ME ME!!!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search