The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Which one do you recomend Dual-Channel Preamps
Old 14th January 2003
Ok, now, another question
How does the Vintech 1272 sounds compared to API 312s?
On my plans, I'll get a lunch box (OSA) and get a whole bunch of OSA pres (MP-1 C) and I feel like the 1272 would be a good partner to them... what do you think?
Old 15th January 2003
Hey, what about the HHB Radius 10??? 4 ch? Tru Tube? or just toob?
Old 15th January 2003
Quote:
Originally posted by jeronimo
Ok, now, another question
How does the Vintech 1272 sounds compared to API 312s?
On my plans, I'll get a lunch box (OSA) and get a whole bunch of OSA pres (MP-1 C) and I feel like the 1272 would be a good partner to them... what do you think?
The Neve and API combination are like wine and cheese (or beer and pretzels depending on your semantic preference). I find that most of the 1272 interpretations that I have heard are more low frequency dominant (or perhaps pass low frequencies first) than a 312 type, and sound as if they have a slower transient response. That's why I personally like 'Neve's' on kick drum, toms and guitar amps. But this isn't a rule, they can sound great on voxs and overheads too because they are very smooth. Many people swear by API's on drums, personally I only like them on sources that benefit from a quicker transient response and that are less low frequency oriented such as snare and maybe overheads and aggressive rock voxs.

The Great River MP-2NV is an exception to most preamps and is a little different than most Neve based designs because of the many features found on it, including impedance switching and loading (the loading adds or takes away a 6db boost @ 60khz!!, which according to Dan Kennedy is about 1db up at 20khz). A 312 or OSA MP-1C sounds more 'growly' and aggressive in the midrange, which can be great for some vocals and mic'ed bass when combined with a DI (i.e. OSA MP1-C on the microphone, and the Great River in 300ohms and loading off for the DI is a good starting point for me). All of the "Neve's" on the market are slightly different from each other, but what I described above is what I hear as being a common aspect of the tone. Good luck with your search.
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Head

There's so many options. If you asked me right this instant, I'd say find a UA1016 raw module and rack it up. But that's a serious pain in the ass, I just finished the one I started last Feb, today. It sounds great, almost identical to my API 312, but a little cleaner and more 3d sounding. Probably my best sounding pre, but would I go though all that hassle again, hell no. I still have one channel not working, I"m gonna let me tech sort that one out, I'm mystified.

I think if I had to get just one pre, it would be a Api 312, or maybe a Hardy, or a Neve..............or......oh screw it, I want them all!
Old 20th January 2003
What about the Radius 10 from HHB?
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

An IC-based pre followed by a toob, then an IC output stage, not much different than what you'd find on cheaper consoles. TL Audio built one true tube pre-amp, but I don't belive HHB chose to re-badge that one as it was more expensive. HTH
Old 20th January 2003
So, it's just one more toob flavor IC pre ? How does it sound? Worth $700 for 4 ch?
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
So, it's just one more toob flavor IC pre ? How does it sound? Worth $700 for 4 ch?
No! Spend $790 (or whatever they go for on Ebay) on the four channel Sytek box. Still op amps, but at least the circut is very well designed.
Old 20th January 2003
I like a lot of op amp based designs, it doesn't have to be Class A or discrete to necessarily be great. Great designs and high quality parts do that...I don't care if it's made out of cat hair and bubble gum if it sounds good.
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Agreed on the op amp thing. As long as the circut is well designed you can get better performance out of op amps then you can out of discrete transistors. And my company knows a thing or two about that!!heh
Old 20th January 2003
I thought the MPX-4A was a Class-A pre... at least it says so on the website?

from the site:
"Each of the MPX-4A, units use a Class A, Auto-Bias Bridge Configuration, Hybrid input stage preamplifier based on selected transistors"

Did I miss something?
Old 20th January 2003
Gear Head

The syteks are not in the same league with the Neve, API etc, but they are a great bargain for the $ and seem to hold up pretty well. They are kind of like the SM57 of pre amps, they are never gonna suck on anything. I have 2 of them, one I will be selling soon. They definetely are a step up from the Mackie/Berhinger crap. I"m guessing probably a step up from the starved tube things that seem to be so popular also. I"ve only heard the starved tube Aphex 107 so I can't say for sure about the others, but I sold my 107's when I got the syteks, if that tells you anything.
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
I thought the MPX-4A was a Class-A pre... at least it says so on the website?

from the site:
"Each of the MPX-4A, units use a Class A, Auto-Bias Bridge Configuration, Hybrid input stage preamplifier based on selected transistors"

Did I miss something?
Op-amps can be class a, and you can use op amps and discrete transistors in the same circut. Our MPS-400 is designed using a combination of opamps and discrete transistors and sounds amazing.
Old 21st January 2003
Is the OP amp a chip?
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Head

Is the OP amp a chip?

In the sytek. Yes
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Is the OP amp a chip?
Like a lot of terms that get dropped here, there's what it used to be and what it is now.

There's a good explantion of an Op amp here.
Old 21st January 2003
Lives for gear

The Syteks are heavily underrated IMO. The non-Burr Brown version sounds great, with a lot of clarity on rap vocals. The BB mod sounds killer on female vocals, OH's, steel string guitar, brass horns, viola (not so much violin for some reason), and any cymbal micing. They have more detail than a 1073, but I can't compare them to the Great River or other Neve "knock off's" (yeah, I know, they aren't 'knock offs', they are enhanced) One of the things I base this conclusion mainly on vocals, but also on when a/b ing them on overheads and hearing a more solid center AND width at the same time.
The main gripe I have with them is that they don't seem to be calibrated and are very sensitive, if you consider that a gripe. The pre is easily worth $2,500, but you can find them under a grand no problem. If you don't own one, I believe you are missing out on one of the better deals out there. They are also great for ribbons because they not only have a lot of gain, but they don't get super noisy when they are cranked.

If you are looking for a "tube" sound, the Sytek ain't it. I'd also recomend the A designs MP-2 2 channel tube mic pre/D.I. (I scored an endorsement with them after using them to death, so rent one first so you know I don't have some kind of conflict of interest). It's the cleanest tube pre I've heard.
Old 21st January 2003
Where can I find more info on the A Designs stuff???
Old 21st January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Here's some info that will give you the basic concept. Different designers have their own minor variations on the specific design.
Old 22nd January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
www.adesignsaudio.com It's still a new pre on the market so you might have a little trouble tracking one down in South America. I believe there's links to reviews and info on where you can check them out. PM me your snail mail address and I'll send you a cd I did with it and point out where I used it.

Quote:
Originally posted by Tubelover
Here's some info that will give you the basic concept. Different designers have their own minor variations on the specific design.
When I was talking about A Designs, I meant the company, not just any class A pre amp.
Old 22nd January 2003
Gear Maniac

Quote:
When I was talking about A Designs, I meant the company, not just any class A pre amp.
OK dokey
Old 23rd January 2003
Lives for gear

The company has a problem with names...

A designs = Sounds like any class A pre

MP-1 Mic Pre / MP-2 Mic Pre = Sounds like about 10 other pres on the market
Old 31st January 2003
What about a Focusrite Red 1???? About the same price as the APIs... how do they compare?
Old 1st February 2003
Lives for gear

It's a very different beast. It's more clean/airy sounding with a somewhat scooped lower mids and not as much headroom. Good for acoustic gtrs, OH if that's what you're after and some voices, notably stacked BG's. The API in contrast will sounds more full, ballsy and present due to a hi-mid peak and a little harmonic distortion. (Sometimes they can bit a bit on the "hard" side going to digital though.) You'll probably get more mileage out of API's... and they should keep a better resale value!

Good luck!
Old 2nd February 2003
Thanks, that was helpfull
Old 11th February 2003
Quote:
I have 2 of them, one I will be selling soon.
Hey, how soon is that? Let me know ok?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search