The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Any Suggestions for a Good Firewire Removable Bay HD?
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Head

Any Suggestions for a Good Firewire Removable Bay HD?

I've been looking into removable bay HD's for my G4. I figure it would save me $ in the long run, as all I need to replace is the actual HD itself..

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks
Old 8th January 2003
Gear Maniac

I've used a number of hot swap drive systems over the years but they were all SCSI based and well before the time of Firewire. It seems to me that those systems would be essentially obsolete except in the most extreme needs today.

I can't imagine what the advantage would be to swapping just the drive when a fast FW enclosure only costs $100 ?

I could be wrong, it wouldn't be the first time, but wouldn't buying several identical fast FW external drives serve just about any need to move large sessions around ?
Old 9th January 2003
jho
Lives for gear

www.granitedigital.com

I haven't seen any really "good" quality, fast drive-in-enclosures for under $100 (most run $150-$200 that I've seen), but you can get IBM Deskstar 120GXP 80Gig raw IDE/ATA100 drives on ebay for $65-70 bucks and put them in the Granite removables all day long and they perform great.

I'm real happy with the Granite Digital removable enclosures. I bill the client $100 for a drive then put their entire backup sessions on them and make a little extra for the hassle.

jho
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

CompUSA sells a Firewire enclosure for $70 that RH58 removable trays fit in nicely. These are the trays Mackie uses on their three HDRs, so lots of folks add them to their DAW for working directly off the HDR drives. HTH
Old 9th January 2003
jho
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by subspace
CompUSA sells a Firewire enclosure for $70 that RH58 removable trays fit in nicely. These are the trays Mackie uses on their three HDRs, so lots of folks add them to their DAW for working directly off the HDR drives. HTH
$70 for the enclosure with no drive in it, right? I twas referring to externals (case and drive) included...compUSA has em for like 175 or something I think. Alcorn?
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Maniac

I hadn't seen the removable setup from Granite, it looks like cool. I'm glad to know about them.
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

Ran across these instructions for building your own Firewire removable drive caddy:
http://www.npstudios.com/fwdock.html
HTH
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear