The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
new 17" LCD PowerBook
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Addict

well, i am still booting to os9 on my tibook for audio work. mainly running nuendo with rme multiface. the system has been solid under os9. rme has a beta driver for os x but midi and some other features are still missing from the current beta driver. i need mtc to sync with pro tools and 88.2/96k samp. rates for audio. so, i am staying with os9 for now on my tibook.

back to the new powerbook...what if i reformat the int. hd and install both os9 and os x onto 2 diff. partitions, can i boot into os 9? well, that's what i have on my tibook...os x on a 20gb partition and os9 on a 40gb partition.

when apple say os x only, do they mean you can't install os9 even if you try to install os9 onto a diff. partition? do they make this "restriction" onto the firmware of the new powerbook?

one thing i notice that is missing from the new powerbook is....usb2...they still have usb 1.1 ports. that's not a big deal to me since i don't have any usb2 device.
Old 14th January 2003
grggt grggt grggt grggt grggt

Funny picture!

Is Bill Gates holding up the other end?

Old 14th January 2003
Mindreader

You absolutely won't be able to boot into 9 on a different drive. It's not just the firmware, it's the way OSX sets its file structure on the disks and the fact that currently its having to do 2 ways of working. Have you seen the mess that X leaves all over your boot drive of 9? It's desperate to be in charge.

Does your music software boot up in classic - ie running 9 in X? If so that may be the way to go.

I run a whole bunch of stuff in classic mode. Once classic has started up, applications take no longer to boot up than they do in 9. You can also set classic to boot up on startup of X so it's always there waiting for you to launch a 9 app.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Addict

well, my os9 drive on my tibook is not messy at all...i will say it's kept pretty neat. osx messing up the os9 drive? well, it may be happenning to other people but not here. i have no problem whatsoever booting into os9 on my tibook 500. i am doing this everyday for more than a year now and never run into any kind of problem. nuendo, peak, spark, dp, altiverb and many other audio progs are all running well under os9 in a diff. partition than osx. also, the rme os9 driver has been rock solid.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Addict

btw, what audio prog can be run under classic mode on osx? nuendo? dp? how about the driver for the audio card, ie, in my case, the rme os9 driver can't run under classic mode on osx.

running under classic mode is not a solution to me.

anyway, os9 or osx or even windows are all fine with me as long as they are stable and have the programs i need for my mixing or mastering sessions.
Old 14th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
i am doing this everyday for more than a year now and never run into any kind of problem. nuendo, peak, spark, dp, altiverb and many other audio progs are all running well under os9 in a diff. partition than osx. also, the rme os9 driver has been rock solid.
Yes. Keep doing it if you like. The point is - don't buy an Apple Model announced Jan 2003 or later. Starting with these new powerbooks (12" and 17") - There will be no booting in OS9. Period. So - if you want to stay 9 = stay with an old machine. But, if you want a new machine (this is gearslutz you know - don't you want a new one?!?! ) then you must boot in X.

I'm buying one of these new ones for personal use. My studio machines are still in OS9 and will probably stay there for 3 to 6 more months. Although - I may move the B room to X for ProTools 6 just to see how it is before I commit to changing the A room.

BTW - Peak runs great on X.
Old 14th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Paul Turpin

BTW - Peak runs great on X.

Logic runs great on X too...and I would LOVE to have one of those 17" mama's for my mobile rig.

YUM. GSD! (Gear Slut Drool)

Old 15th January 2003
Gear Addict

well, i have spark, peak and cubase sx running on osx too...still waiting for the final osx driver for the rme multifalce.

os9, osx or windows are fine for me...i am thinking about setting up an audio dedicated pc rig with sequoia to do mastering.
Old 15th January 2003
Lives for gear

Hey noiz,

Have you had any of the problems that a lot of the OSX users are bitchin about on Cubase.net? Glitching, dropouts, etc..

I would love to upgrade my copy of Cubase to SX...but only if I knew it was working.

Some of those horror stories seem unreal.

Thanks.
Old 16th January 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Kamurah
Hey noiz,

Have you had any of the problems that a lot of the OSX users are bitchin about on Cubase.net? Glitching, dropouts, etc..

I would love to upgrade my copy of Cubase to SX...but only if I knew it was working.

Some of those horror stories seem unreal.

Thanks.
i still got the sx about 2 weeks ago and haven't been playing it too much. like i said b4, i am still waiting for the final osx driver on the rme multiface.
Old 3rd February 2003
Gear Maniac

If I were to get one of the Digi programs, probably 002, would I have better performance from a G4 than a powerbook or are any drawbacks to a powerbook in a home recording situation?
Old 10th February 2003
Gear Addict

I got my 12" powerbook this week.
It rocks. The USB doesn't like my Logic XS key though. grudge

Otherwise I am very happy. The 802.11g and the intergrated bluetooth are cool and I've been running Ableton live with great success.
Old 10th February 2003
Mindreader

WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT DOESN"T LIKE YOUR XS KEY?????
Old 12th February 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
WHAT DO YOU MEAN IT DOESN"T LIKE YOUR XS KEY?????
Don't freak out Bev....
I just needed to do a full install from a fresh download - problem fixed - not Apple or Emagic's fault. Just my laziness.

....now if only my Edirol driver worked - HA

the Edirol's "Advanced mode" doesn't like my current scheme. Basic mode works - one thing at a time I guess. But I'm a patient man. Also - this is my personal computer - my studio computers are still on OS 9 and only run PTHD.
Old 13th February 2003
Mindreader

PHEW

I wondered why you skimmed that bit! You forgot to mention that it was human error and not a given!
Old 13th February 2003
Gear Addict

Quote:
You forgot to mention that it was human error and not a given!
Well I didn't know it was my fault until I found out what was wrong.
Old 13th February 2003
Mindreader

<< just imagining the celebrations
Old 4th March 2003
Here for the gear

As cool as it is, the 17" is just too damn big. I saw it at the Apple store, and it is a tank.

I'll take the 15.2" any day, once they get one made outta aluminum instead of the Ti.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear