The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altiverb? Who's using it?
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Altiverb? Who's using it?

I've heard it is being compared to some reverb outboard gear. Is it that great? I also see that it is HTDM, I don't know what that is but it sounds good. Does HTDM work for Pro Tools Mix Plus users? How does these get processed(HTDM)?
Anyway back to the subject. Anyone using these to great success?

Thanx Guys
M2E
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Altiverb? Who's using it?

Quote:
Originally posted by M2E
I've heard it is being compared to some reverb outboard gear. Is it that great? I also see that it is HTDM, I don't know what that is but it sounds good. Does HTDM work for Pro Tools Mix Plus users? How does these get processed(HTDM)?

Thanx Guys
M2E
It's being compared to Sony 777
it is great
there is an htdm version, but I thing it is not taking power from the dsp, only native powered (mac only).
don't know if it works with mix+
Old 7th January 2003
Alitverb seems like a PITA. Every post about it has paragraphs following on the latency workarounds. I cant get a handle on how it really works in practice. I feel I need to actually speak to a user, reading about it kinda put me off to be honest....

Old 7th January 2003
There is only one

latency is only an issue for PT users... isnt that ironic. DP has no latency mode. i have heard its less latent to run out to a MOTU system than running inside a PT system.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear
Altiverb is the best software reverb yet imho. I only use it on vocals and some instruments so latency is not really an issue (as long as you leave it in low latency mode). Low latency stresses you cpu more and I reckon anything less then a 733 mhz mac will not be enough.
The reverbs are really stunning, there's even an EMT 140 now. You can download a demo and it will give you a idea of what it's like (even though the demo has a tone that comes through every few seconds!).

DW
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

I'm not a big fan of Altiverb. The reverb tails are nice and give the sense of a "real" space, but there is something weird going on with the early reflections, even in no latency mode. My initial reaction to hearing Altiverb was "wow!" but then the more I used it the less I liked it.

I'm talking about using it on exposed acoustic material like solo piano, a real test of any reverb. I'm sticking with my hardware boxes for now.
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Addict

I LOVE it.

Latency, to date, hasn't been a problem in PT when used on a sub group, no biggie.

On classical stuff where I'm extending an existing acoustice I've had to leave just a hair longer on my fades so as not to chop the tail a bit, again, like any other piece of gear you learn to live with it's idiosyncrasies.

I'm damned glad to have it in the arsenal!
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
latency is only an issue for PT users... isnt that ironic. DP has no latency mode. i have heard its less latent to run out to a MOTU system than running inside a PT system.
right, for Steinberg realm, no latency too.For logic, there is some I thing...

great reverb
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

DP user here, dedicated a spare G4 for the purpose only because I wanted to experiment at first. I run a short or medium verb on it cause it's a 500mhz machine. Have a PCM 91 and a M3000 running also plus an Eclipse so I am in effect heaven. All running through Motu MK3 and 308 withhout a hitch. The Altiverb sound is a real sound, not hyped or enhanced in any way, so I guess that can be a usable effect. It's working for me!
Old 7th January 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Albert
I'm not a big fan of Altiverb. The reverb tails are nice and give the sense of a "real" space, but there is something weird going on with the early reflections, even in no latency mode.
I compared the demo of Altiverb to my SREV1 (AES/EBU connections) with the same material (vocals, voice). Because a few of the same rooms were sampled there was a kind of comparison possible. Even if I invested into a hardware box (with additional DSP card) I had no prejudices against Altiverb, in fact having a fast G4 I would spend the money for it additional to the SREV1. But there was something different sounding compared to the hardware that I didn't like. I used the 'ConcertGebouw' which is available for both systems. Altiverb did sound a bit more metallic and 'stiff' in the higher mids. The SREV1 sounds clearly smoother for whatever reason.
For the price Altiverb is surely a great value and the best would be to compare the same impulses with both systems but right now the quality of the sampled impulses are also crucial to the sound quality no matter what other technical differences may exist.
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Maniac

Im using it on a G4/800 with MixPlus and it works great - best reverb plug in !!!

It`s also really cool for modelling other sound devices.
There are patches of modelled tube radios, telephones, little speakers, .... and they are great for lofi vocals or drumloops.
Old 8th January 2003
Here for the gear

Like it a lot!
I get the parquet in my kichten done (5mx5mx3m) and thinking of sample that room!
It is also great to save all reverbs used in a mixdown to preserve it for overdubs.
We did a mix at Avatar Studios, but the lable didn't like the vocal performance. So we did new vocales and used the instrumental. With Alitverb we even would have the original rev sound, but we didn't have Alitverb at that time.
Old 8th January 2003
Lives for gear

news from apple

titanium 12 inches screen , I guess cheaper, and enough for altiverb !

mmh

groovy
Old 8th January 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by clipgod
Im using it on a G4/800 with MixPlus and it works great - best reverb plug in !!!

It`s also really cool for modelling other sound devices.
There are patches of modelled tube radios, telephones, little speakers, .... and they are great for lofi vocals or drumloops.
i gotta pick those up now along with the emt250 r2d2
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

I hear there an option in HTDM for a no latency also. Also in looking for the the plugin to buy. At Sweetwater I see that they have a TDM Version. Could this be the blessing of God to us Mix Plus users?
If so what do you think of that?

M2Egrggt
Old 9th January 2003
Gear Nut

once I find something I like with it in low latency mode, I record the effect on a track and then adjust it...sometimes I like the sound of it better with its latency...
Old 9th January 2003
Lives for gear

I have a spare powerbook 500mhz,
can I run altiverb in one way or another with my emi 2/6 interface (emagic) ?
going from 888 to emi ana or digi.
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

Is it a Ti? Don't forget it needs a G4 processor to run...
Old 10th January 2003
Lives for gear

ahh, I was pretty sure a G3 was the minimum.
Old 10th January 2003
There is only one

nope... need the ALTIvec engine [in the G4] for ALTIverb.
Old 10th January 2003
Gear Addict

Andre,
I've always admired that classy win at Paris-Roubaix a few years back.heh
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

watch out for my return , autumm 2004
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

[QUOTE]Originally posted by M2E
[B]I've heard it is being compared to some reverb outboard gear. Is it that great? I also see that it is HTDM, I don't know what that is but it sounds good. Does HTDM work for Pro Tools Mix Plus users? How does these get processed(HTDM)?

I've been using it for 2 years now and I think it is amazing. In terms of DAW 'verbs, nothing comes close to it.
I use it on all kinds of different sources. The Impulse Response's that Audioease have on their site have an IR for every occassion!
http://www.audioease.com/IR/
'Bill Putnam Echo Chambers' are brilliant for vox (very Beach Boys circa '67!), 'Cello Studios 1&2' are great for bringing togetherness to bass/drums/guitars if you need it, 'Dome Chapel Renswoude' has some amazing natural IR's that really breath life into acoustic gtrs, pianos, perc, strings, etc.. Then you have IR's that range from the backs of cars and vans to 14th Century Cathedrals, from studio control rooms to PA systems in an American Football stadium. All realistic and always handy when it HAS to be a Gothic 14th Century cathedral on that guitar solo.

Another worthy note is the ability to be able to capture revebs that you are using on a session for future recall or simply because you know it sounded good. I have captured various outboard reverbs, EMT Plates and natural chambers whilst out and about in studios on sessions. It's great to be able to take them home with me to use on home projects.

If anyone reading has Altiverb, I have some IR's that I took in Rockfield Studios (in Wales (Bohemian Rhapsody was done there!)) of their 140 plates and the actual chamber room that they have there that has over 3 seconds of decay time. If anyone would like a copy let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.

Anyway, I think Altiverb rules!
Old 12th January 2003
There is only one

Re: Re: Altiverb? Who's using it?

Quote:
Originally posted by Messiah
If anyone reading has Altiverb, I have some IR's that I took in Rockfield Studios (in Wales (Bohemian Rhapsody was done there!)) of their 140 plates and the actual chamber room that they have there that has over 3 seconds of decay time. If anyone would like a copy let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.
please point me in the right direction. id love to hear them.
Old 12th January 2003
Here for the gear

Quote:

Anyway, I think Altiverb rules! [/B]
Would be great to share the IRs! I have some nice locations to sample in the next months after finnishing a project. I have some out door spots with lovely slap echos, and I'm looking forward to make a IR in the woods!

I think ALTIverb isn't realy compareable to "algoverbs" it captures real acoustics and should be compared to units like: Sony DRE-S777, Yamaha SREV-1 or the software solutions like that IR-Reverb in Samplitude!

A handy tool! And I think I'll try it on eqs, comps and pres.
Old 12th January 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
If anyone reading has Altiverb, I have some IR's that I took in Rockfield Studios (in Wales (Bohemian Rhapsody was done there!)) of their 140 plates and the actual chamber room that they have there that has over 3 seconds of decay time. If anyone would like a copy let me know and I'll point you in the right direction.[/B]
Do you have the IRs (also) as sound files (AIFF, SD2, Wave)? I would like to check them out in my SREV1. It's easy to convert impulse responses of other systems to the special SREV1 format if they are in a common sound format. This way I'm using my old Acoustic Mirror Impulse Responses with the SREV1.
Is there a way to convert Altiverb impulses back to a soundfile?
You get the idea ... :-)
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by nkf
Do you have the IRs (also) as sound files (AIFF, SD2, Wave)? I would like to check them out in my SREV1. It's easy to convert impulse responses of other systems to the special SREV1 format if they are in a common sound format. This way I'm using my old Acoustic Mirror Impulse Responses with the SREV1.
Is there a way to convert Altiverb impulses back to a soundfile?
You get the idea ... :-)
I'm not sure of the capture process with the SREV1, but with Altiverb there are two main ways.

The first and most accurate is running a soundfile of a sine wave that sweeps from 10Hz to 48Khz (I think!!It's Low to High anyway!), that Audioease provide with Altiverb, through a decent monitor/s in the space you want to capture. The advantage of this way is the obvious accuracy of frequency response of the room, and also, the ability to be able to run the sweep in a DAW enabling you to get multiple takes of each microphone placement and significantly improve the S/N ratio.

The second way is to fire a starter pistol in the space and process the resulting audio file that you record.

If you download the demo of Altiverb from Audioease's site, these sweep files are included as SDII files along with the pre-processor that turns them into reeadable files for Altiverb, so you can make your own IR's without having to purchase Altiverb.

Most of the files within the Altiverb presets ARE audio files (SDII) that are usually the 'wet' sweeps that have been recorded in spaces. The ones that aren't sweep based will be 'wet' starter pistols files (again, SDII).

I hope this answers your question, and helps!
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Nutmeg
Would be great to share the IRs! I have some nice locations to sample in the next months after finnishing a project. I have some out door spots with lovely slap echos, and I'm looking forward to make a IR in the woods!
Good luck!! Outdoor IR's are very hard to get effectively, after all, what do woods sound like? I've attempted to capture outdoor IR's a few times now and it's never quite been what I expected. When you work with spaces they are constant, i.e. when you send out a sweep the room will be the same at 40Hz as it is at 20Khz. Out in the woods, you run the sweep and you have birds chirping at 40Hz, a gust of wind at 15Khz, etc.. so when you process this Altiverb thinks it's part of the constant sound and gives you them all together (birds, wind and all!!). Night time is best if you can do it without disturbing people.
Try it but prepare to be patient or frustrated!!

It's also funny how annoying people can find the sweep when you're running it quite loud over and over!
I was taking IR's from the Royal Liverpool Philharmonic Hall (which has great acoustics, BTW) 18 months ago and there were several technicians huffing and blowing due to me running the sweep rather loud on the stage. I ended up saying to them that the longer they made noise the more I'd have to run it!! Needless to say they all took an hours break and left me to it!
Old 12th January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Altiverb? Who's using it?

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
please point me in the right direction. id love to hear them.
OK then, here's the link to the Rockfield IR's;
GET IT HERE!

I'm sure they'll become clear when you hear them, but the Chamber has a very 'ghostly' distinctive quality to me that has some cool uses. Be sure to adjust the decay time to taste.....and be sure to brush your teeth before you go to bed!

Let me know what you think.
Old 13th January 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
I'm not sure of the capture process with the SREV1, but with Altiverb there are two main ways.
Thank you very much Messiah for your explanations and your impulse responses. With the SREV1 the procedure is very much the same to capture IRs. With the machine come programs for the PC that control the SREV1 and allow working with audio files for preparing them to use as IRs. The files then used are in 32 bit floating point format.
I managed to load your Rockfield IRs into my SREV1 and the EMT 140 impulses are sounding very good - especially EMT1, which seems to be a real alternative to the EMT responses that came with the SREV1.
About the chambers I'm not sure - they sound very bright with no bottom to me. All EMT impulses have around 3dB more level on the right channel - I'm not complaining, just reporting ...
I was not able to convert any impulses from the Audioease webpage as no application I have on my MACs can read them as SDII files - what have I'm doing wrong? Your files were easily converted with SoundApp to wave files for the PC, with the installed Altiverb Impules that was impossible for me. Of course I can load the impulses into the Altiverb Demo but found now way to export them. Any hints?
Anyway ... many thanks again.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search