The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Altiverb? Who's using it?
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

Re: Re: Re: Altiverb? Who's using it?

Quote:
Originally posted by nkf
I managed to load your Rockfield IRs into my SREV1 and the EMT 140 impulses are sounding very good - especially EMT1, which seems to be a real alternative to the EMT responses that came with the SREV1.
About the chambers I'm not sure - they sound very bright with no bottom to me. All EMT impulses have around 3dB more level on the right channel - I'm not complaining, just reporting ...
I'm glad you like the 140. In terms of the 3dB drop on the left, they are exactly how they came off the patchbay in Rockfield. For my own copy I boosted the left side (2.5dB if I remember right), but as I wrote in the notes, they tend to sum the left and right to mono in Rockfield and I suppose that is why they aren't that concerned about the L/R balance.
For the chambers, I generally put a shelf on the top end myself, and once again, they are true to what came off the patchbay at Rockfield. I quite like the Chamber on BV's and clean guitars as it doesn't interfere to much with the source or other reverbs you may have in a mix.

Quote:
Originally posted by nkf
I was not able to convert any impulses from the Audioease webpage as no application I have on my MACs can read them as SDII files - what have I'm doing wrong? Your files were easily converted with SoundApp to wave files for the PC, with the installed Altiverb Impules that was impossible for me. Of course I can load the impulses into the Altiverb Demo but found now way to export them. Any hints?
Anyway ... many thanks again.
I have just checked them myself and you're right, I can't get at them as audio files either. I think Audioease have encoded them so, lets say, SREV1 owners can't copy them to use with their machine.

One way around it that I thought of though is to install the Altiverb demo and then go to PT or DP (..or PT Free if you have neither), import the sweep file, place Altiverb on an insert of the sweep track with the IR you want to capture and record the sweep going through Altiverb at 100% wet. Then you just need to export the files created and you'll have the Audioease IR's as SDII files. heh

BTW, it's Carl not Messiah!
Old 13th January 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

Carl,

glad you can confirm the format thing of the Audioease IRs ... it seems it's not my inability.
It's really interesting how different the EMT 140 impulses sound compared to the ones coming with the SREV1. Beside different recording methods maybe plates are very 'individual' sounding. (?)
EMT2 has some ringing in it that makes it less usable. As I understand from the filenames EMT1 and EMT2 were equalized (in contrast to EMT1NOEQ). Why?
Old 13th January 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by nkf
maybe plates are very 'individual' sounding.
i would highly suspect that no sheet of metal is exactly alike.
Old 13th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by nkf
EMT2 has some ringing in it that makes it less usable. As I understand from the filenames EMT1 and EMT2 were equalized (in contrast to EMT1NOEQ). Why?
When I took these IR's I was in the mixing stage of a project I was co-producing with John Leckie. Pleased with the way the mix was sounding, I took the 'EQ'd' EMT IR's from what was on the board for the mix. It was actually John who had EQ'd the EMT returns and I had no problem with how it sounded. I did spread to stereo though whilst capturing (they were mono in the mix). I originally captured these IR's from the mix in case we mixed somewhere else (we were on a VR60 and both prefered to mix on SSL w/G).

EMT1NoEQ and the chambers were taken directly from the patchbay (using a Metric Halo Mobile I/O and DP) whilst everyone 'relaxed' after dinner. The changes to the Chamber IR I did when I got the IR's home.
Old 13th January 2003
nkf
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alphajerk
i would highly suspect that no sheet of metal is exactly alike.
As a son of a steelworker I know this ... but the differences are quite prominent, more than I expected.
Old 13th January 2003
There is only one

Quote:
Originally posted by nkf
As a son of a steelworker I know this ... but the differences are quite prominent, more than I expected.
i bet it doesnt take much difference to change the sound... never mind the tuning of the plate, the drivers/pickups used, the amp for the driver, the actual EQ on the plate [if included]

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search