The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emperical Labs - Lil Freq EQ
Old 1st November 2004
Lives for gear

Empirical Labs - Lil Freq EQ

Haven't heard much about this one... anyone tinker with it at the show? Thoughts, comments, features, estimate street price? Got a better pic?
Attached Thumbnails
Emperical Labs - Lil Freq EQ-shesupahfreakyyowah.jpg  
Old 1st November 2004
Lives for gear

I love EL stuff.
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Can't wait to hear this thing...
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

ah, yeah....if someone can scan and post the brochure

Both sides

Pleaze!!!

And what's the price suppose to be??

Fleaman
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

That picture is tiny, but it looks like a four band parametric with high and low shelf. Isn't that an instrument input on the left? So it's probably a preamp as well. I can't wait to hear it either!
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

That`s so COOL !! thumbsup thumbsup
Old 2nd November 2004
Damn!

I forgot to tweak with it!

Sorry guys!

Old 2nd November 2004
i'll go frequy about this aes show... so much cool stuff coming out. next time i'll be there too
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Jules,

Do you think it would be possible to get Dave Derr to "enlighten" us on his new puppy?!thumbsup
Old 2nd November 2004
OK, here is the data from the drop sheet I picked up at the show:

Quote:
Instead of daisy-chaining EQ’s and frequency processors, we tried to cram most of what an Engineer needs into one single-height box, while offering the highest performance of any design we know of.

The EQ Sections

HP – The High Pass section is a sharp filter that cuts all content below one of eight pre-selected frequencies. We call this particular filter a “colored” filter since it is very steep and has a special shape that prevents thinning out frequencies just above the “cutoff” frequency. The corner frequency is indicated by LEDs that glow softly when the section is bypassed, and brightly when the section is engaged. As with the EQ sections in the Lil FrEQ, there is a dedicated bypass switch.

High and Low Shelving – These are very similar to your standard “Tone Controls”, but extremely high performance, providing exceptionally smooth boost and cut on the “bass” and “treble” frequencies.

Parametric EQ Sections – There are four sections of fully parametric EQ… possibly the cleanest parametric EQ section ever produced – operating below .0007% THD (Total Harmonic Distortion) at extremely high audio levels. Try finding those specs anywhere else!

Dynamic EQ Section – The DS section combines filters with a compressor-like circuit that can help control and contain excessive high frequency content such as sibilants, especially in the absence of other lower frequency content. There are two modes of operation, with threshold control as well as a frequency select control. There are foru LEDs that indicate the amount of Gain Reduction: -1dB, -4dB, -8dB, -12dB. The DS section provides the highest performance, easiest to use, and most natural De-esser ever built, as well as a one of a kind, soft knee High Frequency Limiter. You will love it!

The Lil FrEQ is to EQ what the Distressor is to Compression, so you’ll want to experience it for yourself. Call or write fro more info
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
The Lil FrEQ is to EQ what the Distressor is to Compression
...in which case the idea of a Distressor/Lil Freq chain is quite intriguing.
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Very nice!

BUT I would expect Dave to do the EL8 of the EQs!

He should take a look at the McDSP Filterbank and ath the SPL Optimizer.

Both EQs are a bit like the cameleon (eq wise), that the disstressor is in the comp domain.

Both eq's alow to adjust the roll off, slope and dipp of the shelfing eqs + they do alow the parametric bands to switch between Constant/Vari Q and several other things.

The dynamic thingy is real dope! heh
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

Thanks for the info Brad! I was hoping Dave would build something like this, excellent. Any word on price?
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

In the back mix magazine they were going over new AES products and it said it listed for $1799. If that ends up being the case im definetly getting a pair.. I just have to find out how to get on a waiting list asap.
Old 2nd November 2004
Lives for gear

WoW.

Thanks Brad.

So, it seems to be a single channel unit?

I'm always hoping someone would come out with a stereo EQ that has a link switch, meaning you flip a switch and it turns into a stereo unit with ONE set of controls (ala your typical home stereo EQ). With the switch off it becomes a dual mono unit. TL Audio made one called the EQ-2. Functionally it worked like a charm, sonically, well....

Although I would even settle for it to be a single mono with stereo capabilities as I think a stereo style EQ would be very helpful to me, and maybe others...

Fleaman
Old 2nd November 2004
It's a mono unit, no preamp.

I spent some time with Dave and this unit... he engineered it so that even with maximum gain and maximum boost on the eq, it doesn't clip.

Other neat features:
- 8 position hpf filter is digitally controlled - Dave was saying that he couldn't find a single hpf that worked at all 8 frequencies, so he put hpfs in there and a digital selector control. They all offer a boost right above the cutting frequency, so you can, for example, cut below 200 on a female singer and not get the impression that any bass or the fundamental is missing.

- the de-esser connected to the high shelving eq means that you can boost the hell out of the highs (+15 db) but without increasing sibilance or, in a drum mix, the hihat. It's gain independent, using a comparator to measure the balance between lows and highs.

The unit sounds great and does things no other EQ can touch - but it's not your average EQ, and the extreme settings its engineered to perform might not be for everyone...
Old 2nd November 2004
finally i miss a pre from EL

Old 2nd November 2004
Gear Addict

You can count me in on grabbing a pair!!!!
Old 2nd November 2004
Gear Guru

Drooooool! .Any release dates????
Old 3rd November 2004
Gear Head

ME WANT A PAIR !!!!!!
(or two)
If it is as versatile as distressor or fatso ..........

Old 3rd November 2004
Lives for gear
What, it's not released yet?? Pity.
Old 3rd November 2004
hopefully not "soon" as it was meant by benchmark

Old 3rd November 2004
I heard from Dave that the first customer order had shipped the day before they got to AES. That would indicate that they're close to making production runs, right?
Old 3rd November 2004
i'm not sure, could be a prototype to be tested!?
Old 4th November 2004
Gear Addict

Yes! Very cool and perfect combo with the distressor.
Thanks Dave for the time! One of the best pieces at the show.

=j
Old 5th November 2004
Okay, here's the official scoop -

Lil FrEQ, rev 1.0. Preliminary shipments started October 24th.

Limited, hand made production for November and December. November production run is sold out. A few select dealers will be making announcements shortly concerning availability.

Increased production planned for January and February - still hand-made, just not quite as limited ;-)

US Manufacturer's Suggested Retail Price - $1999

Brochures are available, e-mail me with snail mail address to get one. Owners Manuals will be made available on eBay for a sneak peek on how it all works. Photos and specs will be posted on www.empiricallabs.com soon.

Okay, end of commercial. We now return you to your regularly scheduled newsgroup.

-gil

[email protected]

"Get yer FrEQ on!"
Old 5th November 2004
Hi Kent...

For those who will not be able to get their hands on a Lil FrEQ from the first few production runs, we will make the Owners Manual available on eBay (like we currently do for the Distressor and FATSO) so that they can get more in-depth information and details on this new EQ.

-gil
Old 6th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GilWave
Hi Kent...

For those who will not be able to get their hands on a Lil FrEQ from the first few production runs, we will make the Owners Manual available on eBay (like we currently do for the Distressor and FATSO) so that they can get more in-depth information and details on this new EQ.

-gil
Why not just have it downloadable from the website as pdf files like most manufacturers do? I mean, it's not like it will cost anything to EL and it's not software that pirates need the manual to know how to use it....

I own 3 distressors and a Fatso. But I think that pdf manuals should be downloadable from the site... Less trouble for users....

Just my opinion that's all.
Old 6th November 2004
Lives for gear

...and probably will drum up more sales that way also...

..not to mention saving a few branches off some trees.

The only reason I could think of against this is maybe by the act of selling a paper manual, they might ask for a serial # to make sure the unit isn't hot?

Ok, a little far fetched, but cool if so.

I’d also be interested in the reason/logic for no pdf mnls?

(also a 2 distressor, Fatso owner myself )

Fleaman
Old 6th November 2004
Lives for gear

1. I'm for PDF as much as possible to conserve this planet's trees a bit.

2. I'm against the idea of buying some manual that won't help me make up my mind whether I want to buy it or not. It will only satisfy my wanting to know its specs/usage... this should be provided free by those who want to make my money.

3. It's a GREAT product! I'm definitely checking it out when it comes out.
📝 Reply