The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Emperical Labs - Lil Freq EQ
Old 16th November 2004
> What's the Freq. points of the hi/low shelvings?

We are measuring that again now with our new analyzer, so I'll post that shortly

>Slope rate?

6dB per octave slope

-gil
Show replies
Old 19th November 2004
I was able to steal Dave Derr's attention away from tweaking the Lil FrEQ long enough to ferret a message out:

"Could you tell the guys on Gearslutz I miss em, but at least I got to spend Halloween with Jules in San Fran... what could be more "outside" than that!?

I haven't had much time to get online lately - hardly enough time to sleep - with the new EQ "in the oven"... and the cheerleaders being so demanding and all... (OK, ok... only one cheerleader in particular).

Rah Rah Rah!

Tell them I've been spending every minute tweaking transistors, caps, filters,_ and feeling knobs..._ (NO, get your mind out of the gutter!), ensuring that the new EQ lives up to our standards._ I'm reasonably sure it will measure up to Empirical's reputation as a really wierd company that makes really wierd stuff that is often wierdly useful._

I do plan on spending some time with the Slutz_ (the non-cheerleading variety) when I get these Lil FrEQs pumpin' out Empirical Labs doors like coffee out of Dunkin Donuts.

Dave Derr
Head Eccentric at Empirical Labs
PS - Tell the Slutz they had quite an influence on the Lil FrEQ"
Show replies
Old 19th November 2004
Lives for gear

Any chance of ordering some with non-shinny chrome knobs?
Show replies
Old 19th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Gie-Sound
I'm gettin' curious.
The Distressor and Fatso are both coloured... But reading the LilFrEQ flyer gives me the feeling that this unit is a bit more natural? (whatever that means)
Correct me if I`m wrong but I seem to remember reading that the Distressor and Fatso actually start out with super clean analog stages and all the extra harmonic content and warmth and dirt are deliberately added in there in various ways. The Fatso has some of the saturation characteristics working even with no compression or warmth engaged but I think even that is due to stuff that `s added in to the original clean signal.

LOL @ Dave Derr by the way.
Show replies
Old 19th November 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
Any chance of ordering some with non-shinny chrome knobs?
Actually, we are looking at some other knobs that are not as shiny. Will re-photograph the FrEQ when we have chosen the final knobs, and post here. Stay tuned!

-gil
Show replies
Old 19th November 2004
Lives for gear

Will a stereo model come out?

Agh I'm going to have to add this to the list-- along with

adda 16x / mytek 2x 192khz 8 channel units
some more fine mics etc
fatso

:(

when will it stop?
Show replies
Old 19th November 2004
Lives for gear

Will a stereo model come out?

Agh I'm going to have to add this to the list-- along with

adda 16x / mytek 2x 192khz 8 channel units
some more fine mics etc
fatso

:(

when will it stop?
Show replies
Old 19th November 2004
We need to ship some single channel units before we can start work on a stereo one!! But we will address that at some point.

Don't forget to save some room on that list of your for some Tonelux gear - the Mic Pre's are totally dope.

-g
Show replies
Old 21st November 2004
Lives for gear

Regarding a stereo unit....here are my 2 cents worth:

What I REALLY want (I'm guessing others too) is a linkable stereo unit in which ONE set of adjustment knobs controls both channels equally. Ideal would be a stereo unit that links to adjust both channels with one set of knobs and when un-linked operates as 2 separate mono eq's.

TL-audio did this with their EQ-2 unit and functionally it works great. Sonics are another matter with this unit.

AFAIK, the TL-audio unit is the ONLY eq box that has this feature. It's a feature that I think many will find very useful and if E.L. does this, would make the eq unit one very unique and desirable unit.

Fleaman
Show replies
Old 21st November 2004
Lives for gear

I will add that even if E.L. came out with an stereo unit with only one set of controls (operates all the time as a stereo unit or can be 1 mono channel with say only the LH channel plugged it), sorta like a home stereo pre-amp eq, I would still probably buy it!

Fleaman
Show replies
Old 21st November 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Fleaman
AFAIK, the TL-audio unit is the ONLY eq box that has this feature. It's a feature that I think many will find very useful and if E.L. does this, would make the eq unit one very unique and desirable unit.
The SPL Stereo Q was also one set of analog controls for two channels of EQ, however this product is currently discontinued. I'd like to know if anyone knows of a unit that will do that besides these two units. How great would it be if E.L. released a linkable unit that you speak of? heh
Show replies
Old 21st November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by EngineEars
The SPL Stereo Q was also one set of analog controls for two channels of EQ, however this product is currently discontinued. I'd like to know if anyone knows of a unit that will do that besides these two units. How great would it be if E.L. released a linkable unit that you speak of? heh
Wow, I never knew of that unit....have you ever heard it?

It looks interesting, but being it's discontinued and I've never seen one on the used marked (always looking for the SPL Transient D., so I would have seen the eq if ever avail. used), it would seem doubtful that I would ever have the chance to get one

Oh well, Have to wait until E.L. makes my dream eq unit

Oh, and the TL-audio EQ-2 has 2 seperate mono-channels that can link to 1 set of controls, so I still think it's the only one that can/could do that.

Fleaman
Show replies
Old 22nd November 2004
Gear Addict

Now that I think about it the Avalon VT-747 also has a stereo EQ with one set of controls also.
Show replies
Old 22nd November 2004
On the "coloration" discussion a few posts back, Dave chimes in:

"Soooo it's another one of those "Great Taste vs Less Filling" questions, aint it?

Tell the Slutz that the LilFreq is 87.5% incredibly clean... in fact cleaner than any circuits i have ever seen, heard, or measured. If one uses the active output (and avoids the transformer Class A output), its cleaner than any digital can be, because of the A-D converter bottleneck. On occasion, it operates down below the resolution of our Audio Precision analyzers - which invariably makes me smile and have to go celebrate by reading a new data book or something.

Now one may say... what about that other 12.5% (the remainder of the 87.5%)? Well they will have to go buy a Lil FrEQ and find out.... OK NOT REALLY.

The reality is there are two distinctly non-linear parts of the FrEQ. One is the DS section which is a frequency sensitive Dynamic Section which not only can control high end problems, but also in the process, does add 2nd and 3rd harmonics. The second non-linear section is the Class A transformer output. This is transformer circuit capable of 90 Volts pk to pk output... but we try to keep it down to about 30V pk to pk so as not to make devices that follow, burst into flames. It does all those low end and high end things that people like about transformers as well as offers galvanic isolation to prevent buzzes on stage, in the studio, as well as in cramped bedrooms across the planet.

Sooo... the Lil FrEQ was really designed to "Taste Great" and also be "Less Filling" upon demand, givin its three inputs and three outputs, and 8 sections of processing.

Of course, it's also a lovely desert topping ...."

Dave Derr 11/22/04 1:00 am
Show replies
Old 23rd November 2004
Old 24th November 2004
Quote:
Originally posted by GilWave
Actually, we are looking at some other knobs that are not as shiny. Will re-photograph the FrEQ when we have chosen the final knobs, and post here. Stay tuned!

-gil
Actually, the knobs are brushed and in a dimly lit studio, they show up nicely, and are not actually shiney in the light. Looks more like a bright picture. That is one of the reasons I chose the brass insert for the Tonelux knob. You can have the lights almost off and still be able to locate the position.
Show replies
Old 24th November 2004
I like to think that I am a fart smeller I mean a smart feller...
Show replies
Old 24th November 2004
Lives for gear

BWAHAHAHAHA !
Show replies
Old 24th November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by GilWave
I *love* the shiny knobs, don't change a thing--it looks great!

My Distressors are some of my favorite gear, and at this point I really trust Dave Derr's work, so I'm looking forward to adding a couple of his eq's as soon as practical for me.

If you want design comments, the only thing I don't like about the front panel is that little "Bad!" comment above the clip light. This might seem a bit too soft and feely, but I know clipping is bad already, and I don't want something in my studio saying "bad" at me all day. Just the sort of a negative reinforcement I don't need. Or is the "bad" more like a "badass" type thing?
Show replies
Old 24th November 2004
Maybe BAD means "begin audio de-volumizing" or "before audio dies", or even "begin audio death".
Show replies
Old 24th November 2004
Lives for gear

Dave are we to the I love you man part yet :-)

Best designer on the sceen !
Hugs and kisses.
Wade
chandler Limited
Show replies
Old 7th March 2005 | Show parent
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
So Gil,

What's the Freq. points of the hi/low shelvings?

Slope rate?
Gil? Dave? Anyone?
Show replies
Old 8th March 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barforama
Gil? Dave? Anyone?
Show replies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman
Wooohoooo
The manual states 120Hz and 4kHz. A pair just dropped in my frontdoor.
Show replies
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by barforama
Wooohoooo
The manual states 120Hz and 4kHz. A pair just dropped in my frontdoor.
Interesting Eq points for shelves. Any spec on the slope rate?

Fleaman
Show replies
Old 9th March 2005 | Show parent
6dB per octave slope
Show replies
Old 14th March 2005 | Show parent
Gear Maniac

wade, you do some great work too! keep it coming....
Show replies
📝 Reply