The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Help us on Gear Decisions for a New Studio Studio Monitors
Old 1st November 2004
Gear Head

Help us on Gear Decisions for a New Studio

I am a producer and have worked on a lot of successful albums (mostly Alternative/Electronica).
Currently trying to put together a well-rounded project studio, basically to do most of the time/detail intensive pre production (such as tracking, PT comping, initial tweaking etc) before going into a big facility.
This way the artists I work with would have a relaxed environment to work in.
We are done with the construction, which houses a control room and two tracking booths.

I already have a PT HD3 Accell system with 16 channels of Apogee AD/DA converters.
I have been reading the forum for about 3 months to see what is favored and have a decent idea.
We need pointers on what to buy to make the facility as functional as we can for the budget of approximately $35,000.
Monitoring will be either Adam S3A or Dynaudio BM15A.
Mixing will be ITB with a controller but need either a summing box or a small format mixer.
Recommended Pres, Eqs, Compressors, Mics, etc. that would be used in most recording situations?
Old 1st November 2004
Lives for gear

Synth oriented

Clay,
I'm jealous. You have a DAW that can compensate on the bus returns for using real equipment(Still stuck with LAP 5.5). I guess you could use the mixer for auditioning new synth parts and summing later in the mixing process. I assume a lot of your synths are digital and or software. Then again you probably have some old analog stuff as well. Why not get a mixture of some good analog compressors(UA LA2A for bass/vox, Pendulum Audio optical comp mix bus, EL distressor vox/drums/whatever sounds right, EL Fatso for warming up tracking and the mix bus). Also, some nice mic pre's like Great River, A Designs, John Hardy, and Millenia would be a geat place to start. As far as software goes I've had great success with the UA Fairchild and Pultec plugs. My mixes used to sound cold before I got my A-Designs pre and UA plugs, but my music since has been more organic and less sterile. I envy your budget, but if I were you that's where I would start. As for as mics go I can only say what works for me and the artists I work with now. Mics as I have noticed are too dependent on the source to give you any recommendations. With the equipment I talked about above you should be able to make your artists and label people happy as clams. What about outboard reverb? The kind of music you're making definitely needs it.
Later,
Black Seal
Old 1st November 2004
Lives for gear

PLEASE. Invest the most you can in a good tracking room. Hire a good designer, architect or whatever you call them guys. With part of that budget you can get a wonderful room. The rest you can always buy, sell.. replace, but a great room is priceless.
Old 1st November 2004
Gear Head

Thanks to you all,
A well-rounded designer built the studio according to important specs.
We will be recording vox, drums, guitars, synths and everything else in between.
Old 1st November 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Clay

A well-rounded designer built the studio according to important specs.

AWESOME

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search