The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Tunable live rooms/surfaces/ who's done it in their room?
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

Tunable live rooms/surfaces/ who's done it in their room?

I'm looking into varying the room treatment in the live room (30x25 with 8-16ft ceiling) on one wall by employing either a stone wall or a convertible type "wall unit".
The idea would be to make a frame out of 1x8 hard wood that would cover a wall (say 8x12L section) and running vertically would be hardwood slats 1/4"x 6" (think vertical blinds in 8 ft sections) that could be opened to expose a sound absorbtive backing. I'm thinking that if done right this "wall" could serve double duty and replace the typical sundboard/framing/drywall that we're doing around the rest of the room, and maybe gain some variety in room tone.
i lifted the idea from someone on another bbs but failed to bookmark....
Has anyone done this type thing or can you suggest alternate aproaches seen or used that have worked for you ?
Old 3rd January 2003
Lives for gear

what..you actually wanna record instruments...most designers seem to have forgotten about variable acoustics
Old 3rd January 2003
Gear Guru

I have a giant umbrella (with the pole sawed off) over my drum set. It's on a pulley so I can raise or lower it and it has hooks for hanging wood or foam panels.

I put a big foam pad over the jagged sawed off end of umbrella pole - for the drummer peace of mind in case the pulley breaks.

the "venetian blind" sort of thing you are describing sounds great. You have a continuously variable option from absorbtion to reflection.

though I suppose you could just have some 2 sided gobos and flip half of them over or all of them over, etc
Old 3rd January 2003
I take out many fiberglass filled panels (ceiling / walls) to convert my concrete walled / wood floored live room into a drum booth. The 4 x RPG corner bass traps stay in.. PITA but works a treat.. on my budget.
Old 3rd January 2003
urumita

lots of good ideas here www.saecollege.de

if you don't find it in there do a search on John Sayers, he has some excellent methods.
Old 4th January 2003
Lives for gear

And he's a gearslut in good standing! heh
Old 6th January 2003
Jax
Lives for gear

The live room at my joint has several velcro strips on the splayed berber-carpeted walls for attaching 2x2 wood panels. Makes it so I can "liven up" the live room. There are also several 6 x 4 baffles hanging by chains from the ceiling, some of which have foam completely covering one side and others are just plywood for reflections. They can be angled by varying the length of the chains at each corner. Very useful to put the foam sides over a drumset for a tight overhead sound, or conversely using the plywood sides for some slap. Cheap to make, too!

I have a few mobile walls of about the same dimsension and treatment as the ceiling baffles. I can get the room within room thing happenin this way (great for guitar amps, but not bass). Sometimes I do double walls and then drop insulation and pillows in between to keep the low freq. bleed down.

Oh yeah almost forgot my slat resonator/reflectors. Two 5x5 panels that look (and sound) kind of like monotone marimbas hang off of framing arms that are attached at the studs. Cool way to get a wood resonance vibe from anything loud enough to get it shaking.

In another thread on GSz, someone mentioned using hinged walls that unfold from the real walls. Cool idea.
Old 7th January 2003
Gear Guru

ccajonezzz,
I'm about to embark on a similar project. I got some advice form my tech/design/sound guru that you should know. He said to use 1"x4" or 6". He said he tried to build dome with 1/4" and they started to warp and then wouldn't rotate. 1" are actually 3/4" thick but should suffice.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
ccajonezzz,
I'm about to embark on a similar project. I got some advice form my tech/design/sound guru that you should know. He said to use 1"x4" or 6". He said he tried to build dome with 1/4" and they started to warp and then wouldn't rotate. 1" are actually 3/4" thick but should suffice.
If you beat me to it , I'd love to see what you do.

I tried your URL but got nowhere , is it dead?

I'm also kicking around a couple other designs....
Old 7th January 2003
Here for the gear

A long time ago in a studio far far away..Record Plant NYC. I was part of a crew that built and installed a tunable wall. We constructed 8' long triangular units that had 16" or so faces ( I think these were the dimensions). Anyway, they had two hard surfaces of 3/4 plywood covered with oak tongue and groove and the remaining side was fabric. The cavity inside was filled with fiberglass. The units..lots of them, were recessed into a wall on a pivot so that when one of the hard surfaces was visable it was flush with the wall around in. Turning the units so that both hard surfaces were visable gave a saw tooth wall and rotating the units so that the soft side faced out dampened the room. Pretty cool as I recall. Lots of work to build. The interior plywood stiffiners had large holes drilled into them so that acoutically they acted like one large box rather then a series of small ones. Lots of gluing and screwing.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search