The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Audix Consoles Consoles
Old 2nd January 2003
Audix Consoles

Does anybody have any hands on (or ears on) experience with these vintage desks? The few things I know:
They are few and far between. They are cheap.
They are the most affordable all discrete console.
The company made it's name supplying Nevesque consoles to the BBC.
In recent years Calrec prices have started to rise, but Audix are still reasonable. Why? Are all the surviving consoles basket cases?
They do look ugly BTW.........s**t brown.
Old 29th April 2003
Here for the gear

Audix Mic Pres..

Hi I'm not familiar with the Audix consoles, but I do have a rack-mounted bank of 5 of their mic-pres, or 'Gain Makeup Amplifiers' to give them their proper title. I like the sound, it's *very* clean and takes some welly to get into overload. I think we'll be seeing more of names like Audix, Calrec, Glensound, Audio-Developments etc. over the next couple of years as the BBC are currently in the process of skipping loads of this gear as they convert to 100% digital radio studios.
Old 29th April 2003
salty,
Any idea where they're going to be skipping it to?
Dealers?
Old 29th April 2003
Lives for gear

Heres a cute little Audix... MAssive Attack used to have one in thier studios when they were doing 'Mezanine' .. fromthe pics i remember in SOS its was the same sort.

The ones to look for are the 35102 modules. Their 1:1 rippoff of the Neve 33114 pre/eq module.

PEACE
Wiggy
Attached Thumbnails
Audix Consoles-audix-console.jpg  
Old 29th April 2003
I enquired after that console a while ago.
Two drawbacks:
It is big - expensive to ship.
The dealer said he thought it was more 80's and not discrete.

The modules certainly don't look like the 'desireable' ones.
Old 29th April 2003
Here for the gear

BBC EOL stuff..

Hi Chrisso..

There's at least 1 broadcast desk up for sale at the moment. I'll see if I can get you the name and number of the bloke who's dealing with it.
Old 25th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Nothing wrong with the 35101 modules at all. In fact there were several revisions of both the 35101 and 35102 (I've seen and heard a lot of diff ones and to be honest there's not a huge amount of difference between them - some later 35102s had a single op-amp stage which was put there for some switching / broadcast reason I believe - I have schematics somewhere).

The later rev. 35102 did not have an integrated output stage (necessary to drive the output TX if you're racking 'em up) - you will need an additional 3XXXX 'quad amp' board which will provide you with the necessary circuitry.

Regarding Audix consoles - there have def. been a few around.
I think the small one used by Massive is now in a basement studio in Bristol.

A slightly larger Audix has recently been completely refurb'd for Charlie Jones . I believe it has just been installed in his own studio in the last week or so. I saw and heard this console while it was been refurb'd - it was originally a broadcast desk. EQ was more limited than the 35101/2s (on strange 'sliders') . This was quite an involved refurb job!

Both the above desks were fully discrete.

Yet another Audix console is listed for sale on TMOP - and is NOT a discrete console and is circa 1980s.

I know of at least two other larger audix consoles which were disassembled and sold as parts (I have quite a few modules from them myself) - they both carried 35102 EQ modules.

And finally - yes they do look an awful sxxt brown.

Chrisso if you do ever get an audix desk and/or modules - drop me a PM - I have quite a few Audix schematics here should you need them. If you're getting raw modules be sure to get the module edge connectors as well (unless you fancy having your modules soldered direct to pin!).
Old 25th October 2004
Gear Maniac

They won't sound exactly like a 1073 - but they are from that same school of EQ. Some will argue til the cows come home about the differences and similarities between Neve modules and their Calrec/Audix bretheren but the truth is they all sound v. good. All v. 'musical' (oh dear god - there should be a fine imposed for using old cliches like that! ;-) )

Recapping is pain in the arse tho - 30 to 40 caps per module. I had 10 of the buggers to do. What fun....
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by isa215

The later rev. 35102 did not have an integrated output stage (necessary to drive the output TX if you're racking 'em up) - you will need an additional 3XXXX 'quad amp' board which will provide you with the necessary circuitry.

Hey isa215,
Great info in this post, and I have a question. I picked up a couple of 35102 modules awhile back in good shape, and haven't had a chance to rack them up yet. Anyway, what rev. numbers of the module didn't have the integrated output stage?The pair I have are labeled above the connector "Model 35102V03". They also say "Title Mic Line Module", and lastly the serial numbers are 410 and 475. Any info you have would be greatly appreciated as I'd like to get these guys racked up soon.
TommyD
Old 25th October 2004
Gear Maniac

TommyD - yup you have v03. I *think* that might have been the last revision of the 35102. As I recall they changed the rotary switches to some 'encased plastic' doodads.

Anyway - yes I'm pretty sure you're going to need some a 'Quad amplifier board - 35302 which confusingly will only provide you with two usable line drivers (The entire module consists of 2 x 'Type A' line driver modules and 2 x 'Type B' non-driving amp modules)

At least I *think* that's right. It all got a bit confusing because I remember that some of the 35302 boards we had got converted into mic-amps...

oh yes and you'll need some output TXs. Can't remember what we used....something from sowter I *think*...I know those broadcast consoles used lundahl transformers quite frequently.
Old 25th October 2004
Gear Addict

I have a couple of Audix modules, racked up and recapped by Tom Hilbe. These sound great and are exactly the same as Neve 1073's in design. The story I was told when I looked into these was that workers from Neve left that company and formed Audix, makig products using the same basic design as Neve. I was lucky enough to obtain my modules for the price of FREE! A friend had them an said he didn't use them and did I want them, of course I wanted them. They had no phantom power,so I had a phantom supply wired up and put them to work. I have used them on many sessions since then with great results. heh
Old 25th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Tousana - what modules do you have? The 35101/2 is def not a 1073 clone - although it is
from the same school of design and engineering. I think the closest Neve equivalent would be something like the 33114 or 33122
35101/2 have Class AB output stage.
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Tousana,
Do you have contanct info for Tom Hilbe? I'm looking for someone to rack up my modules. (35102's) THanks!
TommyD
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Tousana
I have a couple of Audix modules, racked up and recapped by Tom Hilbe. These sound great and are exactly the same as Neve 1073's in design. The story I was told when I looked into these was that workers from Neve left that company and formed Audix, makig products using the same basic design as Neve. I was lucky enough to obtain my modules for the price of FREE! A friend had them an said he didn't use them and did I want them, of course I wanted them. They had no phantom power,so I had a phantom supply wired up and put them to work. I have used them on many sessions since then with great results. heh
Hi

No, that's a little off course.... Audix wasn't formed by ex-Neve designers... it employed ex-Neve designers. I'd question also that the modules were identical to Neve... they may be similar but won't be identical.

You'll find that later Audix modules are IC based and that, although they used 24 volt single rail, they used an IC to generate a centre rail that was distributed to the various stages whereas Neve used a potential divider on the input of each amp stage to provide the centre bias.

Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by rme uk
What would we all to without you Geoff! It's good to have you around!
Hi

Thank you for the kind words!

To the best of my recollection, at various times between around 1970 and 1990 Neve engineers David Rees, Mike Stapleton, Robin Ireland, and Geoff Tanner (!) spent time at Audix.

The yukky brown colour was a BBC standard and you'll also find Neve and Calrec consoles that colour!

Tweed Audio was a company formed by an ex Neve engineer to design and manufacture small broadcast consoles that resembled BCM10's. You could be fooled into thinking that they were Neve consoles if you didn't look hard for the "N" logo on the modules.

I spoke with the guy who formed the Tweed company ages ago and he told me that he had no interest in supporting the product. He had wound the company up a loooong time ago.

Old 26th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Thanks Geoff

I'm quite certain that the 35101 and 35102 in question are not IC-based - although later revisions of the 35102 (circa '82) did have a single op-amp stage - the EQ remained passive w/ discrete gain makeup.
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by tommyd
Tousana,
Do you have contanct info for Tom Hilbe? I'm looking for someone to rack up my modules. (35102's) THanks!
TommyD
He was very hard to find via the internet but I did finially locate him. I would try Vintage King, I believe they are in Michigan and they do great work as far as racking gear up.
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by isa215
Tousana - what modules do you have? The 35101/2 is def not a 1073 clone - although it is
from the same school of design and engineering. I think the closest Neve equivalent would be something like the 33114 or 33122
35101/2 have Class AB output stage.
I'm not sure which modules I have,beacuse they have been racked for a while,this has got me going and I'm giong to pull them out to see what version they are. This is purely for my own info, since I have almost nothing invested in them. When I find out I will post.
Old 26th October 2004
Here for the gear

Hi.
I thought I'd just add; I have 4 of the Audix 35102's racked by Brent, from back in the day when he used to offer these.

I love 'em! I wish I had at least 2 more.
I do a fair amount of classical music recording, so I love the clean gain, and the surgical EQ.
Old 17th April 2015
Gear Head

AUDIX 35101 _ Schematics

Sorry to revive this topic.
I managed to buy 02 Audix 35101.
I need diagrams, or service manual.
If anyone can help me ... I thank you
Cheers

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search