The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
M-Audio vs Lynx vs External DAC Audio Interfaces
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Nut

M-Audio vs Lynx vs External DAC

Up to now I used the M-Audio audiophile 24/96 as DAC for monitoring. I'm looking for an upgrade, not feature-wise but soundwise. I saw Lynx makes a similar device, be it in another league quality wise.
Should I go for the Lynx and get rid of the audiophile or buy an external DAC (with the advantage of a volumepot after the actual conversion) and feed it with the SP/dif signal coming from the audiophile?

Thanks,
Jurgen
Old 24th October 2004
Lives for gear

I replaced an M-Audio 2496 with a Benchmark DAC1. Needless to say, the difference is HUGE.

I went with a DAC1 since it has a volume knob (as i'm using active speaker) and headphone outs (how else could i listen easily with headphones?) as well as a digital input switcher (can hook up 3 digital devices this way).
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Nut

Yeah, I was thinking in that direction aswell, with the difference that I'm feeding the ext DAC with SP/dif signal from the audiophile.
However, a Lynx card is about half of the price of a benchmark/mytec dac...
Old 24th October 2004
Lives for gear

I have apogee miniDAC connected to audiophile, it is much much better...

...you get what you pay for here, external stere DACs like Benchmark mytek or apogee are better than any onboard DACs.
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
I have apogee miniDAC connected to audiophile, it is much much better...
do you mean the miniDAC is much better that the M-Audio DAC's---yes

I owned the Delta 66 omni studio.

I bought a Lynx Two.

My DAC is much much better

My ADC is another universe better.

The Benchmark added to your setup will help with monitoring---however, to make an informed decision you also should evaluate your AD situation.

The clock on the Lynx Two and the 4 (or 6) inputs sound really great compared to the M-audio audio to digital converters....your recordings will immediately make a huge jump in quality with the Lynx---

Good Luck
Buddhaman
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Nut

Thanks Matucha and Buddhaman,

I'm going digitally in my PC, have external RME-converter based recorder, so that would eliminate the need for good ad conversion in the audio card.
But on the other end: how do the Lynx converters compare to RME ADC wise and to benchmark/mytec etc DAC wise?
Old 25th October 2004
Gear Addict

I'm also using a Delta66 with a DAC-1. Like everyone said - huge difference. I got it for the same reasons as DrDeltaM, and of course the sound. Been waiting for the ADC-1 to replace the Delta66 AD, but I'm just about done waiting (actually, was done waiting 6 months ago . . . where's the ADC-1 Benchmark!?!?!?).

I have no experience with external rme converters (sounds like you have an ADI setup?), or lynx. But I have been reading these forums for over a year . . . so I will attempt to answer your question since no else did.

I would guess the lynx would be better than the rme AD wise by a bit, and the lynx and benchmark/mytek would be pretty close DA wise, with the benchmark/mytek nudging forward in the end. But like I said, I have no first hand experience here, so maybe someone else can chime in.

IMO, if you're happy with your AD, don't fix what ain't broken. Stick to your original plan and get the DAC-1, you won't regret it.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear
How about the Kurzweil Rumour? It's got some nice D/A as well as great reverb.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

I replaced a Delta 66 with a Lynx Two. The difference is astonishing -- but make sure you have a good monitoring chain and don't degrade your signal by going through a budget mixer etc. I now use a passive A-Designs ATTY and before that connected straight from the Lynx Two to my powered monitors.

I can't comment on any of the other gear mentioned above.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

Replaced my Audiophile 2496 with the Lynx Two A. The pundits don't lie, the difference is astonishing.

The shootouts I have heard would place the Lynx slightly ahead of RME.

The Lynx provided, for the first time since I began digital recording, quality at par with professional recordings.
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Nut

Thaks for your replies!

Seems the Lynx will provide a cheaper solution, and provide good ADC on top of that... although the Benchmark has some other nice features and is stand-alone.... tough choice.
Has anyone A/B'd Lynx to benchmark etc?
Old 27th October 2004
Motown legend

Benchmark is better but also more expensive. There are plenty of other more expensive converters that aren't as good as the Lynx cards.

Benchmark is sort of the American equivalent of Lake People, a major broadcast supplier that's a bit of a giant killer. I've heard the Benchmark more than hold its own against Prism, DCS and Weiss converters.
Old 27th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Bob,
funny that you should mention Lake People.
I need a headphone amp and bookmarked the LAKE PEOPLE G94 PHONEAMP a couple of days ago. I'm using an analog mixer so the Benchmark DA is not ideal for my setup.
Do you think this Lake phoneamp is good quality?
http://www.netzmarkt.de/thomann/thoi...447c29d00c62ae
http://www.lake-people.de/Home_Engli...e_english.html
I've googled but the Lake People stuff seems to be found mostly within Germany.

Old 8th November 2004
Gear Nut

Lucid da2496?

I dropped by a secondhand Lucid DA2496...
Would this also be an interesting unit to get?

thanks.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search