The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
'65 Twin RI Question
Old 22nd June 2008
Here for the gear

'65 Twin RI Question

Hello, I recently pulled the outer two tubes (Groove Tubes 6L6Bs) out of my Reissue Twin and also disconnected one of the speakers. I was hoping to decrease the wattage of the amp so I could crank the input to get some tube crunch, which I am unable to get normally because it is simply too loud and will not break up. When I crank the input I get a loud hum which was not there before I pulled the tubes. Any suggestions on what I could do to fix this? Also would it damage the amp if I used a THD Hot Plate with the tubes pulled to further reduce the volume? I would probably be better off selling the Twin and getting something with less wattage but I will regret it.
Old 22nd June 2008
Gear Maniac

The twin never breaks up. It just gets more colored.

I've been playing through a twin RI at home with the same change as yours (I just use a 7308 instead of the 12AX7 as it lowers the output) and I really like it.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search