The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Juggernaut samples Audio Interfaces
Old 21st June 2008
Gear Head

Juggernaut samples

Hiya...

I'm a frequent visitor here (plenty of helpful info), and only an occasional poster...but...due to the relative dearth of Juggernaut samples, I thought I might chip in with a couple of very brief clips…

I work writing music for television (midi rig with live sweetening) so I’m not really set up for multitracking…I’m recording 1 or possibly 2 instruments at a time in my treated room. If I require something more extensive I’ll book studio time. I don’t need a ton of gear just a few well chosen pieces.

I’d been using DAV pres, but I thought the Juggernaut might suit me because I guessed I could get a bunch of different sounds out of a single piece of gear (man…I was right on that score). I bought a pair with the extra nickel output transformers.

They arrived from Atlas incredibly well packed…double boxed…mucho packing filler. I installed the nickel output transformer in one, left the iron in the other and put up some mics.

A few observations…

You can get many, many tones out of these units. To generalize in an overly simplistic way…

1) The iron (in and/or out) gives more mid range ‘bite’, the nickel (in and/or out) gives a smoother broader tone.
2) The input transformer impacts the sound more significantly than the output transformer.
3) The (incredibly useful) impedance feature allows you to dial in a ‘sweet spot’ to suit a particular mic.
4) Every mic will react differently (sometimes dramatically) depending on the combination of input transformer>impedance>output transformer.

I took notes with my modest mic collection to catalog some useful settings, and determine the response to the impedance and transformer settings. Once you get a handle on the possibilities you can basically shape your sound to taste. I also have my Juggernauts patched out to an ATTY so I can overdrive the pre (even more than the THD button provides) if desired.

I’m using the Juggernauts to juice up the drum loops on the project I’m presently on, but cannot post those…so….there are two sets of clips below which might be of some use. They are 44.1/16 bit, and mic placement was identical for matching takes. The gain is closely matched, but please feel free to adjust if required.

The first two clips are a VO reading of a sentence from the Juggernaut manual. The chain is Stedman pop filter>AKG 414B-ULS>Juggernaut>Fireface>Nuendo. One clip is iron/iron; the second is nickel/nickel. Impedance was at the 12 o’clock position.

The other two clips (see the following post) are a very brief picked acoustic guitar segment. I am very obviously not a guitar player, but I think the clips illustrate the wonderful ability of the Juggernaut to sculpt the tone. The chain is Schoeps MK41pair>Juggernauts>Fireface>Nuendo. One clip is iron/iron with THD On; the second is nickel/nickel. Impedance was at the 9:30-10 o’clock position.

A final note…the attention to detail, build quality and look of these preamps is outstanding…kudos to Tim and Nathan.

Cheers,
wellyouneednt
Attached Thumbnails
Juggernaut samples-juggernauts.jpg  
Attached Files

Jugger_414B-ULS_Iron.wav (1,010.6 KB, 277 views)

Jugger_414B-ULS_Ni.wav (1,004.4 KB, 296 views)

Old 21st June 2008
Gear Head

...and the second clips...
Attached Files

Jugger_Ac_Gui_Iron_THD.wav (2.38 MB, 271 views)

Jugger_Ac_Gui_Ni.wav (2.49 MB, 227 views)

Old 21st June 2008
Lives for gear

thank you, seems you use yours pretty similar to how I will use mine.
rsp
Old 1st October 2009
I don't think I had seen this thread from last year. Thanks for taking the time here wellyouneednt.
Top Mentioned Products

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search