The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bm6 active or bm6 passive?
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

bm6 active or bm6 passive?

hello,the search function did not bring me any info so here i am.

i am going to buy a pair of bm6's but i cannot decide between active or passive. my budget allows for the actives but i see that the passives are 1/2 the price. i could take the $$$ i would save if i were to buy the passives and do a lot of slutty things with it like get a good d/a or whatever. if i were to buy the passives than i would be using an alesis ra-100 for power.

do the bm6a's and the bm6's sound the same? can anyone compare the 2?
thanks -jay
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Addict

FWIW I haven't heard the actives. I bought the passives because of budget constraints (powered with a Hafler P3000). They have brought about a significant improvement in my mixes, and make working more enjoyable (goodbye ear fatigue). That said, I think that the amp you have might be suspect. The dyns are pretty inefficient and you should power them with as big of an amp as is feasible. The quality of your amp also makes a big difference in the sound. Maybe look around on ebay for a used P3000.

Most importantly, listen to all the speakers you are considering (preferably in your studio). Maybe you will prefer one over the other, and then your descision is made for you.
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Addict

I was at the same road a little while ago and went for the passives. I power them with a smaller Hafler amp which I think works great. They sound so much better than anything I had heard before. With regards to the effieciency, I have the amp set halfway and I can't turn the volume all the way up on my console. They're plenty loud, and that amp isn't very powerful. I've heard some people say they even prefer the passives, but I've never heard the actives to know. Like you, i was looking at what I could spend that extra $800 on. I think you'll get more out of them with a nice d/a like the DAC-1, which I bought as well to compliment the dynaudio's.

Brandon
Old 19th October 2004

If it was me, I would buy the actives... They should outperform a passive set with an Alesis RA100 amplifier. I think the amps Dynaudio has are very good.
Old 19th October 2004
Gear Nut

maybe bm5a?
Old 19th October 2004
Lives for gear

Interesting not too expensive amps IMO are the Flying Mole ones, they're distributed by PMC and used in the active models of their smaller monitors. They use the DAD-M100Pro
http://www.flyingmole.co.jp/en/index.shtml
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

thanks for the info. i just got a quote on the bm6a's. the pair new for $1,200. and the passives are $730.
i am still trying to decide. any more info would be great!
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Nut

a new pair for $1200? where where?
Old 21st October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by manisedap
Inquiring minds want to know.
Old 21st October 2004
Gear Maniac

Hi

I have a pair of BM6a's
I have to say the bottom end is very good.
Infact everyone that uses the studio comments on the detail from them.....
More important to me they have a good gentle midrange

Paul
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

That's a smoking price. I got mine at less than 10 up, and they were 1370.00

I need another pair!
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by manisedap
believe it or not,guitar center!
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

hi

Have your guys seen they have just released the BM5A?
Old 22nd October 2004
Gear Nut

guitar center?!?! Aight, I'm gonna get that baby!!!

Yeah was wondering bout bm5a too... Hopefully good reviews will come for that product.
Old 22nd October 2004
Gear Addict

Unless you can pop for a decent amp go for the actives. That alesis is a pile of poo... it wouldn't do justice to the DAC-1 or the BM6.
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

hi

Monitor Ones are not all that bad. Have been using them for 8 years, just replace tweeters every 3 years to keep things fresh. Much better than Mackies.
Old 22nd October 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by maskedman72
believe it or not,guitar center!
I paid $1200 tax included at GC
Old 22nd October 2004
Lives for gear

I've got the passives and love them. Didn't have the coin for the actives at the time. Started w/ a Crown DC-300 (since that's what I already had) and have since upgraded to a Chevin Research A500, which is great.

That being said, the BM6's w/ the Chevin cost me about what the actives would have cost to start. I do love the sound, but it would be nice to be able to conveniently take them to other studios, which would be a PITA now.

Also, FWIW, the passives are 4 ohm (and want about 200W ea.), so you'll get more output from your amp than you normally think, since you're probably used to referencing an 8 ohm load.

g
Old 23rd October 2004
Gear Maniac

maskedman

check your PM's
Old 23rd October 2004
Gear Maniac

sub for bm6a at gc

Does anyone who purchased at Guitar Center know if they sell a matched sub for the BM6As?
Old 24th October 2004
Lives for gear

the salesman i deal with at g.c. is a friend and he has asked me not to identify him or the store he is at. since i do a lot of business with him i agreed to these things. he said he went way out to get that price for me and could take some heat for it. otherwise i would love to send him some business!!

on the other hand vintage king has a set of bm5's right now for $399. ask for dave at 248-591-9276.
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Maniac

understood, very reasonable. i'm actually have a quote worked up with dave at vintage king for some stuff (included in which is a pair of BM6A's) so maybe i can strike a good deal there.

they helped me out a lot on the myteks.
Old 24th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by pedrohead
understood, very reasonable. i'm actually have a quote worked up with dave at vintage king for some stuff (included in which is a pair of BM6A's) so maybe i can strike a good deal there.

they helped me out a lot on the myteks.
i also deal with dave and his quote to me on the bm6a's was $1,640. i told him about the price i got from gc and he said he would see what he could do and he would call me back.
i also ordered a mytek from dave but there was a lot of trouble getting it so i had to get it elsewhare. how do you like your mytek? i am still putting mine through its paces.

anyhow i feel that gc has given me a price on the bm6a's that i cant pass up so i am going to rid myself of my event 20/20"s and my alesis ra-100 and go with the bm6a's.
from what i understand this will be a large jump up in my monitor setup. it is hard to get a mix right with 20/20's although i have been using them for about 6 years now.
Old 24th October 2004
Gear Maniac

very funny you mentioned it. i think i actually got your Myteks. dave mentioned someone kept getting put on hold and delayed with the shipments and went elsewhere. once they finally showed up (about 2 months later apparently), there was no buyer for them, and i called him at just the right times.

actually, i'm still kinda confused on the myteks. i actually think i may have received a bad pair. i can't really hear the benefit of the clock, and i did a session with them last week and the depth and clarity wasn't even that of my lucids (!!). it was just a blurry, 1 dimensional, high-mid mess. the DA had a much narrower field, bad lack of lows, and messy hi mids. so i talked to michal, and it sounds like i may be swapping them for another pair to try out.

how have you liked yours?
Old 25th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by pedrohead
very funny you mentioned it. i think i actually got your Myteks. dave mentioned someone kept getting put on hold and delayed with the shipments and went elsewhere. once they finally showed up (about 2 months later apparently), there was no buyer for them, and i called him at just the right times.

actually, i'm still kinda confused on the myteks. i actually think i may have received a bad pair. i can't really hear the benefit of the clock, and i did a session with them last week and the depth and clarity wasn't even that of my lucids (!!). it was just a blurry, 1 dimensional, high-mid mess. the DA had a much narrower field, bad lack of lows, and messy hi mids. so i talked to michal, and it sounds like i may be swapping them for another pair to try out.

how have you liked yours?
yep,that was me waiting for the mytek. what a small world it is.
i have not had the pleasure of doing drums with the mytek yet but i did some guitars over the weekend and they do indeed sound much better than before. as far as the clock, i also do not feel that there is any benifet from using the mytek clock as opposed to the digi002 clock. if there is a sonic difference,i have yet to hear it. i could be wrong and hopefully someone will correct me but isnt it true that your system will only benifet from a good clock if you are trying to sync up more than one thing to a single clock?
Old 25th October 2004
Gear Maniac

actually i believe that's not supposed to be the case. if you're plugging a good clock into an 002 or 001 system (be it a converter or dedicated clock) you should hear a real difference in how stuff plays with each other, how the high end sounds, etc.

i was using an aardsync clock with a lucid ad, and i could hear a definite difference when clocking with the internal computer clock vs. the aardsync/lucid.

but along those same lines, converters like the mytek are supposed to work much better running from their own clock.
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Addict

the Mytek's clock should make a significant inmprovement to the 001, it certainly does for the 192 in HD. Deeper, wider & more detailed, more "3D".
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Maniac

then there must be something significantly wrong with my mytek (or the setup therein). because there's no real difference between the mytek clock and the internal 001 clock.

whereas the lucid/aardsync clock was very noticibly more "3D" as you put it, compared to the 001 internal clock.

what could be the possibilities that are wrong with these things. it just doesn't make much sense and is pretty frustrating now that i sold my lucid stuff.
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

have you tracked a whole song through it or are you just recording 1 track and listening to that?
Old 26th October 2004
Gear Maniac

i did a whole session with them last week and mixed/mastered it all.

i've also done some just vocal tracks since then to finish some songs which everything else was tracked with my lucid/aardsync pair.

i've got another AD on it's way from michal to try out to see if there was something wrong with my AD. the DA....that may be another step.
📝 Reply