The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
bm6 active or bm6 passive?
Old 26th October 2004
Lives for gear

let me know what the result is of your comparison.
Old 27th October 2004
Gear Maniac

will do. the AD is on it's way as we speak. but i'm almost as interested in a different DA, which he said he is out of, but will have next week.

did you get the DA, too? how are you liking it compared to what you were using before? are you using these at tempermill or something for home?
Old 27th October 2004
Lives for gear

man i could have swore that i saw at the top of this page where it flashes a chandler and a mercenary ad that the mytek da is going for $495 for a limited time. that is a steal if true.

anyhow, i use the mytek at home with my pt le rig and i take it to the tempermill as well. up there we have a mix 5.1.3 rig and an mci 2".

last night i listened to some guitars i tracked before i bought the mytek and i will say, man there is a large noticeable difference between the mytek and the 002 converters.....i take that back...a huge difference. the guitars actually sound real now. they have a far smoother high end now. they sound way more "pro". i was using a gtq-2 for 1 mic and a great river for the other. the sound is better than the 1073's i use at the tempermill!

i am eager to put the mytek on kick and snare. i hope i get similar results there also.

let me know what the d/a sounds like when you get it. i am considering getting one also,espically for $495.
Old 27th October 2004
Gear Maniac

i guess i should have made that clearer. i bought the mytek AD and DA at the same time. i'm impressed with neither at this point (and this is in comparison to the lucid/aardvark AD and DA i was using before).

so there's the distinct possibility that one of the two units i bought (could have been either the AD or the DA) are not functioning properly. i'm swapping them one at a time to see. the AD this week, the DA next week.

the DA i found to be pretty grainy, somewhat painful to listen to in the highs, a narrower stereo image, and too light on the mids and lows. now this always leaves open the possibility that "it's just that clear and transparent, and now i'm hearing just how bad of an engineer i am", but i guess that's only possible if lucid purposefully widens the stereo image and enhances the bass to make it seem like you're recordings are better than they are. my monitors could also be a culprit, but again, this is a direct comparison between a mytek and a lucid DA on the same set of monitors....and right now, i like the lucid better. but hey, can't make any firm decisions yet.

does anyone else feel the same (or radically different) about the mytek DA than I do?
Old 28th October 2004
Lives for gear

your post makes me want to hear the lucids although i have been told that mytek is far better than lucid.
the one thing i dont like about the mytek is the input meters. and on my unit the input gain knob really dosent do much after the 1/2 way point.
📝 Reply