The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM7B + Fireface 400 - Good combo? Audio Interfaces
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

Shure SM7B + Fireface 400 - Good combo?

Hi guys,

I had originally placed an order for a Audio Technica AT3035 microphone but after reading some bad reviews about the here on gearslutz i decided to cancel the order & went for a Shure SM7B instead.

Now i'm going to be recording with a RME Fireface 400 which has around 65db of gain. I've read that the SM7B works best with a preamp that has lots of gain so i'm wondering if the FF400 will be able to get the most out of it.

Also before it's too late, can someone recommend a mic that works well on male & female vocals & is less than $400, or is the SM7B the best option in this budget?

Thanks for the help!
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

65 db should be enough gain for the SM7 .. itll probably be cranked though...

imo, the sm7 does sound a lot better than the AT3035.. i think youre on the right track...

just try it out, if it doesnt work, send it back..

gl
Old 19th June 2008
Theoretically yes - the RME 400 should do the trick, but in reality this will put the mic to about 70% of its capabilities - You will have to crank the gain al the way up and then a hiss will appear... - and the final effect will be miles away from a good preamp like GRNV1 or Pacifica. So I would definitely invest in some good preamp - maybe in 500 format?

Good luck
M
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Nut

Try it. Crank the pres and try it. But 65db should do the trick. But you will get some hiss from the ff pres.

Sm7 is really nice and versatile. Best value in it's price range.

Keep it.

And save up for a really good preamp.

Best of luck
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

After reading this, I threw my SM7B on to my RME ff800 (same pres as the ff400) to see whether it would work or not. I had to turn it all the way up (backing off just a touch was still good) and it not only worked well, there was also absolutely NO hiss. As the others have pointed out, it would sound better with a high end preamp, but it'll still work for you. On the Fireface Settings Dialog Box, I have my Level In set to Lo Gain and My Level Out Set to +4 dbu. Play with these a bit as well and you may get varied results. The SM7B will sound a bit dry when you solo it, but it will sit the mix very well. Also remember to take off the foam cover (pull it off by the plastic ring at its base so you don't tear it... it just pulls straight off).

Last edited by Newcleardaze; 19th June 2008 at 06:07 PM.. Reason: Misspelling
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by vibralux View Post
Theoretically yes - the RME 400 should do the trick, but in reality this will put the mic to about 70% of its capabilities - You will have to crank the gain al the way up and then a hiss will appear... - and the final effect will be miles away from a good preamp like GRNV1 or Pacifica. So I would definitely invest in some good preamp - maybe in 500 format?

Good luck
M
Couldn`t agree more.
Old 19th June 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
After reading this, I threw my SM7B on to my RME ff800 (same pres as the ff400) to see whether it would work or not. I had to turn it all the way up (backing off just a touch was still good) and it not only worked well, there was also absolutely NO hiss. As the others have pointed out, it would sound better with a high end preamp, but it'll still work for you. On the Fireface Settings Dialog Box, I have my Level In set to Lo Gain and My Level Out Set to +4 dbu. Play with these a bit as well and you may get varied results. The SM7B will sound a bit dry when you solo it, but it will sit the mix very well. Also remember to take off the foam cover (pull it off by the plastic ring at its base so you don't tear it... it just pulls straight off).

Good Advice!
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to go ahead & confirm the order then.

My next purchase is probably going to be a good preamp now, to be able to get the best out of the SM7B.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newcleardaze View Post
Also remember to take off the foam cover (pull it off by the plastic ring at its base so you don't tear it... it just pulls straight off).
What difference does it make when you pull the foam off?
Old 20th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s-cube View Post
Thanks for the help guys! I'm going to go ahead & confirm the order then.

My next purchase is probably going to be a good preamp now, to be able to get the best out of the SM7B.

What difference does it make when you pull the foam off?
The best way to tell without the mic present would be to put a thin piece of foam over your ears while listening to music... it will effect the sound coming in and dull it down some. The foam will help keep out wind noises and plosives when its on the mic, but it also alters the sound a bit. For indoor recording, you're better off using a good pop filter, because it won't alter the sound (to check whether or not a pop filter will effect the sound, again just put it over your ears while listening to something... there should be no change in the sound you hear). Of course, you make like the sound better with the foam on, but I think most people take it off. Give it a shot both ways and see what you think.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search