The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peavey VMP-2
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Nut

Peavey VMP-2

I was looking to get one of these units and I was hoping somebody out there could give me some feedback on this pre-amp. Like sound characterisitics, gain level, true tube sound, detail, easy to use and manipulate, etc.

Thanks a bunch
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

It has a bit of a cult following. By virually all accounts, its a rather nice tube pre. I believe Jim WIlliams (Audio Upgrades) does on mod that takes it to another level. Lotsa tubes in that unit, so if you plan on upgrading the tubes you'll need to get your wallet out.
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally posted by sdelsolray
It has a bit of a cult following. By virually all accounts, its a rather nice tube pre. I believe Jim WIlliams (Audio Upgrades) does on mod that takes it to another level. Lotsa tubes in that unit, so if you plan on upgrading the tubes you'll need to get your wallet out.
Actually, I have an old email from Jim concerning that mod:

To:
Sent: Wednesday, March 17, 2004 8:27 AM
Subject: Peavey mods...

Hello, the VMP-2 mod includes MIT MultiCaps, Wima EQ and filter caps, Jensen input transformers and EH 12AX7A tubes. Gain setting electrolytic caps are changed to Rubycons bypassed with the Wima film caps. Top end details are very open and clear, the fog is removed.Cost is $475 due to the high cost of the parts. It takes 1 week to do.
Thanks, Jim Williams
Audio Upgrades
818-780-1222
818-201-4414
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Nut

Originally posted by psytechguy:
Hello, the VMP-2 mod includes MIT MultiCaps, Wima EQ and filter caps, Jensen input transformers and EH 12AX7A tubes. Gain setting electrolytic caps are changed to Rubycons bypassed with the Wima film caps. Top end details are very open and clear, the fog is removed.Cost is $475 due to the high cost of the parts. It takes 1 week to do.
Thanks, Jim Williams

Did you do the upgrade? If so were there any noticeable differences?
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Nah, too steep for me. It sounds fine like it is to my ears.

Mike
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

I don't know what it sounds like since I haven't used one but I do know some dirt on it's development. In the early 90's Peavey decided they wanted to dip their toes in the pro recording market. At that time I worked for a pro audio company that also had a division that sold a lot of MI consumer Peavey gear. Consequently they had good ties to Peavey. We heard rumor that Peavey wanted to do some high end gear. We of course had a good laugh at that since almost all of their other stuff were cheap, relatively bad sounding alternatives to items other companies offered. Well one day we were asked by the owners of the company to do without one of our Summit preamps for awile. We took on out of service, boxed it up and the ship to label clearly said Peavey Meridian Mississippi. We got it back a couple months later without any thank you note. Within that next year Peavey introduced their new VMP-2 all tube preamp. I don't know how closely or if it follows the Summit design. It's likely Peavey collected various preamps to reverse engineer towards their own design. Regardless of origin though that's one of the few Peavey products that has a decent reputation. If though on some chance you come across thier AMR console, run away from it as fast as you can.
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by grahluk
If though on some chance you come across thier AMR console, run away from it as fast as you can.
LOL... ya that thing is a piece of crap
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Head

RE: Peavey VMP-2

I think they are great without any mods. You don't need fancy tubes. The first in front matters most and the eq tubes, well. Silky vocals and great for bass. GE 5751 picked up for a few bucks if you want a cleaner sound. The only ones to swap fer sure are the chinois tubes but the later ones had Sovtek. Some came with a Jensen xformer.
Old 18th April 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitarman View Post
RE: Peavey VMP-2

I think they are great without any mods. You don't need fancy tubes. The first in front matters most and the eq tubes, well. Silky vocals and great for bass. GE 5751 picked up for a few bucks if you want a cleaner sound. The only ones to swap fer sure are the chinois tubes but the later ones had Sovtek. Some came with a Jensen xformer.

I know this is a very old thread, but I'm looking at upgrading at least the tubes in my VMP-2. opening it up I see 8 tubes in there, 2 are marked 12 AT7, the others aren't marked but suspect they are 12AX7. Is that correct? The tubes in there have no identifying brand on them etc

How can I tell if I got one with Jensen transformers? [that'd be on the XLR outs?]

Best place to pickup decent but cheap new tubes like the GE 5751s?

I've also got the VCL/2 and assume it would have the same type of tubes [12 AT7 and 12AX7]?

Dave
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by grahluk View Post
Well one day we were asked by the owners of the company to do without one of our Summit preamps for awile. We took on out of service, boxed it up and the ship to label clearly said Peavey Meridian Mississippi. We got it back a couple months later without any thank you note. Within that next year Peavey introduced their new VMP-2 all tube preamp. I don't know how closely or if it follows the Summit design. It's likely Peavey collected various preamps to reverse engineer towards their own design. Regardless of origin though that's one of the few Peavey products that has a decent reputation..
The Summit is a hybrid tube pre with IC gain stages.

The VMP-2 is a fully tube and discrete pre.

I thought the VMP-2 was a copy or attempt to be like the V72.

The output transformers (XLR) aren't that great and have a hard time driving a good signal. You'll get a cleaner sound using the unbalanced outs....all w/o any mods/upgrades.

The VMP-2 gets freaking hot too. Have good ventilation in your rack.
Old 18th April 2008
Lives for gear

My partner and I have two of these between us. Love 'em. The Peavey/AMR VC/L-2 is a nice comp/limiter to go with it. These are harder to find than the preamp.

Peavey VC/L-2 Valve Compressor with EL84

Wow, a thread from 3.5 years ago resurrected......
Old 17th June 2009
Here for the gear

Peavey VMP2

In case anyone is looking for a VMP2, I am about to list one on eBay today.
Old 26th November 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleaman View Post

I thought the VMP-2 was a copy or attempt to be like the V72.
Interesting ........I recenly used a VMP-2 and a pair of Schoeps cardiods to record drum overheads for a Jazz session. Darn nice 'vintage' sound. Really warm and silky. That pair and the kick drum mic did a fine job on the kit.

Anyone have suggestions for replacing tubes in this pre?
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear
I liked it. It was my first high end pre amp.

It will add lots of tube harmonics. The EQ is very smooth. I mod would be great to take the "fog" off - if you want a cleaner sound.

I got a Pendulum pre amp - so I sold the VPM-2.

Surprizing entry from Peavey. One of Harley's best. My said "Make in America" on it too!
Old 26th November 2009
Lives for gear

Just posted one for sale in the classified's if anyone is interested.
Old 30th October 2010
Here for the gear

Peavey VMP-2 for Sale

A nice VMP2 for sale here for $650.00 Peavey VMP2 Dual Mic Preamp--Used
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Ballenger View Post
This thread just won't die. Someone got a heck of a deal on that preamp.
Old 24th February 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nevelicious View Post
LOL... ya that thing is a piece of crap
well you and Grahluk dont know what the hell you're talking about. I had an AMR 1600 for over ten years, hot rodded the center section, put 48 faders of megamix automation in it and it was good sounding and a reliable as hell console. I made a lot of records on that board including film soundtracks and mixed a latin grammy winner. Could you get a better console, without question,
would you pay a hell of a lot more for it, with out a doubt.

As far as the VMP 2 goes, I had one, it was OK, but it wasn't anything special.
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIGHT'SCHILD View Post
I was looking to get one of these units and I was hoping somebody out there could give me some feedback on this pre-amp. Like sound characterisitics, gain level, true tube sound, detail, easy to use and manipulate, etc.

Thanks a bunch
I spoke with the Peavey folks at NAMM last month. They are releasing a new two channel tube preamp some time soon. The only hold back was the pricing, which my contact says might be $1,500 on the street. We shall see.
Old 24th February 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pcbiz View Post
I spoke with the Peavey folks at NAMM last month. They are releasing a new two channel tube preamp some time soon. The only hold back was the pricing, which my contact says might be $1,500 on the street. We shall see.
I had heard that once before about a year back. There was even talk of a compressor as well as I recall, much like the VC/L2. Did you hear anything on that?
Old 24th February 2011
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
My partner and I have two of these between us. Love 'em. The Peavey/AMR VC/L-2 is a nice comp/limiter to go with it. These are harder to find than the preamp.

Peavey VC/L-2 Valve Compressor with EL84
Yeah i got a vcl/2 and sent it back to PV for the link mod. Very happy with it.

I don't have the VMP 2 but I remembe that for the longest time, it was recommended as the lowest price tube pre that really did anything tube like.
JP
Old 1st March 2011
Gear Maniac

Quote:
I had heard that once before about a year back. There was even talk of a compressor as well as I recall, much like the VC/L2. Did you hear anything on that?
No, I only heard about the pre amp. Maybe someone from Peavey can comment.
Old 24th September 2011
Here for the gear

vmp2 balanced output too hot?

hey guys - i have 2 of these, LOVE them, they're totally fun and exciting, but when they're driven much, the output seems like it's really too much for a +4 db environment - clipping my converters, compressors i insert after them, etc...

should i just use the unbalanced outs, or get 4 10db inline attenuators?
Old 30th September 2011
+1 for the VMP2, great value, not a PCB to be found. Price used for 2 all tube channels and eq is a steal. Just added a VCL/2 to the chain - 2 american made all tube channels for under $1,400 works for me. Great on OH's and toms.
Old 29th October 2011
Here for the gear

I have a Peavey VMP-2 and love it. I record classical music and have used it with the following mics: Neumann TLM-170R, M150 and M149. I'm making a Decca tree stand and hope to purchase another one as soon as possible.

I first became acquainted with the VMP-2 when Peavey loaned me one to do a recording project back in 1997. I was told by an engineer at Peavey that they waited until the patent ran out on a real famous mic pre, (I don't remember which one unfortunately) and they just copied it.

I was planning to use the VMP-2 as a back up because Neumann had arranged for me to borrow a couple of very good mic pre amps. However, the Peavey sounded so much better with the TLM-179s that I used the VMP-2 exclusively for the recording release.
Old 30th October 2011
Gear Head

I have two of them and really love them. I really use the compressors (VCL-2) more, though. I have two of those as well. I think these are hidden gems. Really.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

The VC-L/2 is the bomb.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear

Quote:
The VC-L/2 is the bomb.
I have one I'm putting up for sale if anyone is interested pm me.
Old 30th October 2011
Lives for gear
I had one of the first ones made - MADE IN USA. It was the poster child for tube pre's when it first came out.

Smooth EQ
Gain can be noisey if you turn it up too much. Although I never really had a problem with it. You can get a big sound with it.

Later I purchased a Pendulum tube preamp. WOA! (I sold my Peavey)

I think the VMP2 could be made into a decent class tube pre with some mods - new tubes, caps. It decent for a price. No need for ebay crazies to jack up prices to over $500 though.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search