The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peavey VMP-2
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Learner View Post
Hence my question about using a Ebtech Line Level Shifter or similar device after the TRS to make certain the signal plays nice with others.

Don’t think you need it. Never had any issues in my TRS outs.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

I’m glad to see this.

I have one I hadn’t fired up in years and while I used to know of the TRS output “trick”, I had forgotten. I was cleaning the rack that I had it in a few months ago, and thought, well let’s turn it on and see if it still works. It was so much worse than I remembered! Now it’s making some sense...nothing inside was blown or leaking. Just that crap transformer!

Now all these years later, after the issue of the bad transformer in these has been such a well worn subject, I am wondering if somehow it ended up at the wrong turns ratio. Even a cheap transformer just shouldn’t be that bad. It is almost on a level of “wrong” beyond just cheap transformer, and into some kind of botched implementation.
Old 3 weeks ago
I've run across this before with gear. Just having a transformer output does not insure any device will sound better and at times, they sound worse. Another piece of gear I once had with really bad transformers was the Black Lion AM Cha 1 inductor EQ. Even with all the controls set flat and/or bypassed, those transformers produced a constant ugly color.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by toledo3 View Post
I’m glad to see this.

Now all these years later, after the issue of the bad transformer in these has been such a well worn subject, I am wondering if somehow it ended up at the wrong turns ratio. Even a cheap transformer just shouldn’t be that bad. It is almost on a level of “wrong” beyond just cheap transformer, and into some kind of botched implementation.

Yep. The xformer in this thing sounds awful. I’ve never heard a xformer Sound this bad in audio gear. Couldn’t believe my ears when I did my comparison a few years back. This is the reason why the VMP gets mixed reviews. Many are using the XLR out exclusively. Put some NOS tubes in the input and output stages and stay far away from the high boost EQ and you’ll be golden. :0)

P.S. The low end boost is nice and thick.
Old 2 weeks ago
Gear Head
I have two of these that I hardly ever use these days. If anyone is in the market for one you can feel free to PM me. Both are stock.
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Learner View Post
I have two of these that I hardly ever use these days. If anyone is in the market for one you can feel free to PM me. Both are stock.
Price? What country you in?
Old 1 week ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by christube View Post
Price? What country you in?
I am in the US. You can PM me about price. I will be looking for a price that is roughly within the range of current market value.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search