The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Peavey VMP-2
Old 7th October 2013
500 series nutjob

Anyone still using one these Peavey VMP-2 pres?
Just curious.
What about the comp?

Old 7th October 2013
Lives for gear

I still use both.
Old 12th October 2013
Gear Head

I've got the pre. Prefer it to Aurora's or Shadow Hills for bass.... for whatever that's worth.
Old 10th April 2019
Here for the gear

Excellent mic pre. Doesn't need any mods. I wish I had a bank of ten, I'd run everything thru it!
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

I have the pre, although I haven't had a chance to do a lot of recording with it. The output transformers are garbage. Using the 1/4" outs lifts the veil off of things, but you have to be careful about the impedance of what you connect it to, because if it's mismatched improperly you'll get a tiny wimpy sound (as I found out when I connected my VMP-2 in this manner to the transformer inputs on my VC/L2). I coughed up the dough for some reasonably priced NOS US tubes, which also helped clarify the tone and remove icepick highs. Best bang for your buck is to put nice tubes in the first 12AX7 slot and in the 12AT7 slot (which I think is for the EQ); past that it's diminishing returns.

I've had more opportunity to use the VC/L2, and I love it. I use it on vocals both during tracking and mixing, and it also seems to fatten up snares (which can be too much of a good thing depending on how the snare sounds to begin with). I didn't find that pricier tubes improved the tone as much in this unit, but they do affect the gain reduction curves. It's been a while since I did my experiments in this but I believe the better tubes yielded quicker attacks.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Still love my Peavey comp as well, use it a lot on bass (mix) now that it's back in action. I have used it on vox in the past during mix as well. I recently had to replace the EL panel in both channels of mine as one channel had started to dim in regards to the panel, so I replaced both. That was quite the adventure as you can't get the original panel anymore so I opted for what would go in an actual LA-2A.

Shared album - Scott Baker - Google Photos
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash View Post
Still love my Peavey comp as well, use it a lot on bass (mix) now that it's back in action. I have used it on vox in the past during mix as well. I recently had to replace the EL panel in both channels of mine as one channel had started to dim in regards to the panel, so I replaced both. That was quite the adventure as you can't get the original panel anymore so I opted for what would go in an actual LA-2A.

Is that just to light the meter, or is that component involved in the gain reduction? The lights have never worked in mine since I got it.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Whoopysnorp View Post
Is that just to light the meter, or is that component involved in the gain reduction? The lights have never worked in mine since I got it.
That is part of the compression circuit. I also replaced the VU meter lights as well. I got them on digikey as I recall. That was an easy fix. Sorry I don't have any pics of that one, but they just clip in as I recall.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Gotcha. What are the symptoms of the issue you had to fix by replacing the EL panels? The two channels on mine are a bit different tonally, although gain reduction seems comparable.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Quote:
Gotcha. What are the symptoms of the issue you had to fix by replacing the EL panels? The two channels on mine are a bit different tonally, although gain reduction seems comparable.
There was a difference in how much compression would happen with the knobs set the same on both channels. To get the same compression between channel one and two I would have to, for example, set channel one to say 3, and to get the the same compression value on the meter for channel two, I would have to set that knob to 4 or 4.5, if that makes sense. Replacing the these EL panels is not for the faint of heart FYI. It's a very half ass design compared to how the LA-2A does it with a plug in canister that contains their EL panel and photo resistors.
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Here is a link to the meter lamp.

GF710 JKL Components Corp. | Optoelectronics | DigiKey
Old 10th April 2019
Lives for gear

Thanks for the link! I guess it might be wise for me to actually do some measurements to determine whether the gain reduction levels are comparable on both channels given the same input and control settings.
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Could someone please post pics of the peavey vbc/L2 internal layout? Be much appreciated.
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by christube View Post
Could someone please post pics of the peavey vbc/L2 internal layout? Be much appreciated.
Will schematics suffice?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1egR...ew?usp=sharing
Old 4 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yoink!
Old 4 weeks ago
Gear Head

Quote:
Thanks dude! Legend
Old 3 weeks ago
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by ishtar View Post
Excellent mic pre. Doesn't need any mods. I wish I had a bank of ten, I'd run everything thru it!
I contacted Audio Upgrades years ago about mods for the VMP, and they seemed very dismissive...like it wasn't worth the effort. I'm happy with it stock, regularly run kik and snare though it and have always been happy with it and prefer it to the BAE312s that I was using for kik and snare.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
I have the pre, although I haven't had a chance to do a lot of recording with it. The output transformers are garbage. Using the 1/4" outs lifts the veil off of things, but you have to be careful about the impedance of what you connect it to, because if it's mismatched improperly you'll get a tiny wimpy sound (as I found out when I connected my VMP-2 in this manner to the transformer inputs on my VC/L2). I coughed up the dough for some reasonably priced NOS US tubes, which also helped clarify the tone and remove icepick highs. Best bang for your buck is to put nice tubes in the first 12AX7 slot and in the 12AT7 slot (which I think is for the EQ); past that it's diminishing returns.

I've had more opportunity to use the VC/L2, and I love it. I use it on vocals both during tracking and mixing, and it also seems to fatten up snares (which can be too much of a good thing depending on how the snare sounds to begin with). I didn't find that pricier tubes improved the tone as much in this unit, but they do affect the gain reduction curves. It's been a while since I did my experiments in this but I believe the better tubes yielded quicker attacks.
Would adding a product like an Ebtech Line Level Shifter after the 1/4" address the impedence concerns? I ask because I also have both.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slow Learner View Post
Would adding a product like an Ebtech Line Level Shifter after the 1/4" address the impedence concerns? I ask because I also have both.
The information I'm finding on that unit suggests that it could. I'd want to try it to be sure. You would also have to trust its transformer to be sonically superior to what's already in the VMP2.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
The information I'm finding on that unit suggests that it could. I'd want to try it to be sure. You would also have to trust its transformer to be sonically superior to what's already in the VMP2.
Right. I might do some more research on Ebtech and Radial ptoducts and attempt that. Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by clinter View Post
I contacted Audio Upgrades years ago about mods for the VMP, and they seemed very dismissive...like it wasn't worth the effort. I'm happy with it stock, regularly run kik and snare though it and have always been happy with it and prefer it to the BAE312s that I was using for kik and snare.
There must have been a misinterpretation as I rebuild these tube mic preamps all the time here.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
There must have been a misinterpretation as I rebuild these tube mic preamps all the time here.
Jim, If you do not mind me asking what are your thoughts on these units as far as the quality after the upgrade?
Old 3 weeks ago
Customers do love them. They can be used for acoustic guitar and drum overheads. The fog is removed.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Williams View Post
Customers do love them. They can be used for acoustic guitar and drum overheads. The fog is removed.

How can I get in contact with you about working on mine? One of the channels has developed a low level hum which almost disappears when I engage phantom. Very weird.

Also what do you charge to work on these? I really love my VMP2 and would love to have it back in action soon if possible. We can take this to pm if you’d prefer. Let me know. Thanks.
Old 3 weeks ago
After years of reading about how great the Peavey was, I broke down and bought one that had been populated with premium tubes and an extra gain pot. My reaction was...meh. I have a cheapo ART Pro MPA II with JAN Phillips 5761 tubes. It sounds slightly fuller with better low end than that Peavey had, and the ART has impedance control, and a pretty good sounding low cut. Sold the Peavey soon after getting it.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
After years of reading about how great the Peavey was, I broke down and bought one that had been populated with premium tubes and an extra gain pot. My reaction was...meh. I have a cheapo ART Pro MPA II with JAN Phillips 5761 tubes. It sounds slightly fuller with better low end than that Peavey had, and the ART has impedance control, and a pretty good sounding low cut. Sold the Peavey soon after getting it.

Did you use the XLR xformer outs? or the TRS outs? Night and day difference between the two and I don't use that phrase lightly. The TRS outs are way better sonically.

I also have an MPA-II with NOS Mullards as well as the VMP. They are different beasts.

The Peavey is cleaner and a little bit "softer" IMO. Great when coupled with brighter mics.
Old 3 weeks ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Did you use the XLR xformer outs? or the TRS outs? Night and day difference between the two and I don't use that phrase lightly. The TRS outs are way better sonically.

I also have an MPA-II with NOS Mullards as well as the VMP. They are different beasts.

The Peavey is cleaner and a little bit "softer" IMO. Great when coupled with brighter mics.
Now that you mention it, I do recall reading some discussion somewhere about the two different sets of outputs. On the one I had I did use the XLR outs. I guess it never occurred to me that the TRS outs might sound any different.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob Coates View Post
Now that you mention it, I do recall reading some discussion somewhere about the two different sets of outputs. On the one I had I did use the XLR outs. I guess it never occurred to me that the TRS outs might sound any different.

Yep. The transformer on the XLR outs in the VMP makes it sound very muddy. It’s crystal clear on the TRS outs (which has no xformer). I did an A/B and recorded the results. Couldn’t believe my ears and like I said I almost never use that term “night and day difference” but it’s true in this case.
Old 3 weeks ago
Gear Head
Quote:
Originally Posted by Funny Cat View Post
Yep. The transformer on the XLR outs in the VMP makes it sound very muddy. It’s crystal clear on the TRS outs (which has no xformer). I did an A/B and recorded the results. Couldn’t believe my ears and like I said I almost never use that term “night and day difference” but it’s true in this case.
Hence my question about using a Ebtech Line Level Shifter or similar device after the TRS to make certain the signal plays nice with others.
Old 3 weeks ago
Lives for gear

Yep, the stock output transformers in that unit are hot garbage. Replacing them with Jensens supposedly makes the XLR outputs usable.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search