The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Soundelux ifet7 is back from repair and still doesn't work!!
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Maniac

My Soundelux ifet7 is back from repair and still doesn't work!!

That's right! I bought it in may, sounded great but exhibited obvious sound problems, or maybe it was digestion problems cause it kinda produced "burps"...or low farts...please don't laugh , it was very embarrassing for everyone attending the session who thought it was the guy sitting next to him(her)...until we found out it was the damn mic...

Sent it back for repair, cost me a 150$ in shipping, missed 2 sessions, had to give extra time to compensate for the time lost, re-schedule a session with very busy people, redo the vocals...

a month later, I receive the ifet7, try it on a session, first thing it does: " please give me your loudest line....."BLAAAA------no signal"", the signal was gone, nothing...the guy was standing a good foot from the popscreen when I entered the room, I switched to the "I" position and the signal was back...we tried a take but the singer stopped because he was hearing weird things in his headphones, the farts were back! Louder than ever!! I didn't say anything, but I was so upset!
I mean, making a living in this business is tough, especially now, people hire you because they really feel you give them something special they can't get at home...

It was my first experience with Soundelux, thought it was a serious company that takes good care of its clients, I really hope they will answer the mail I sent them on friday and change the mic...

Has anyone had the same experience lately? Hopefully not, because I'd like to think we still have true good microphone manufacturers around...

Peace,

Tom VDH
VDH RECORDINGS
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Addict
Mine has a farting sound in "V" mode as well. I haven't sent it back yet. I have been kinda lazy and just use the I mode.
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Nut

Tom,
You should have Soundelux pay you for losing those two sessions, plus pay for that extra day of studio time it took you to re-track, plus the engineer fee...... No ****, I am serious!
If you loose $$ due to new gear failure, they should be help responsible and compensate you.

David Bock or Brad Lunde please comment on this reply.

Sincerely,
Lindell

(Im not even gonna comment on when you got the mic back from repair)
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Do all gear manufacturers have the same "Limitation of Liability" fine print that post houses/film labs/film manufacturers have?

I would think that a company like Soundelux would make good on the mic at least. I spent a good amount of time singing into an ifet7 and it's been at the top of my "Mics to buy" list for a couple months now. That could change depending on the direction this thread goes...
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Addict

I too have to send my Ifet7 back for a second time. Basically the "I" mode didn't work the first time, then I sent it back used it twice (on V mode) and now "I" mode does not work. It always seems to be the opposite mode from what I was using the Mic on that somehow breaks. I hardly even used the mic to be honest. Although, now that I started using the Ifet7 on Vox, I love the sound of it.

Now, to stick up for Soundelux, they repaired the mic once for free, no hassles. This time I think they are doing it for free no hassles as well. I think that is pretty good, so I don't feel too bad about it. I just don't want to be without the mic for another two weeks again.

As to the comment on Soundelux owing money for the session, that seems outrageous to me. A professional studio should have gear to fall back on. **** happens, and a studio owner I think is more liable than Soundelux if a mic craps out and they can not continue a session. In the computer industry we call this "fault tolerance" and no serious software shop (think online sales) would consider not being "fault tolerant" when clients are paying for products.

Good luck,
Lumen
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by LumenStudio
I
As to the comment on Soundelux owing money for the session, that seems outrageous to me. A professional studio should have gear to fall back on. **** happens
So what If the iFet was the only mic I had? And I was booked for three days tracking vocals. The mic failures, I don´t get paid by the client, I can´t pay my bills..... and so fourth...
Old 11th October 2004
GMR
Lives for gear

I have just been thru the same problem with my U195. I was getting wicked wind storms coming from the mic and all kinds of noises, sent it cost me $80 cuz of all the duty crap. 3 week turn around. And plug it in and the wind storms are still there. I called tech and and asked them if they even plugged the mic in, he said yes they reported that a screw was loose in their test and the mic stopped working so they fixed that but they didn't fix the other problem which is by my guess a cold solder cuz I opened it up myself and checked all the parts and lighly seated them all in and the problem stopped. just if it stars up again I would like to find which parts is failing! When they got the mic the problem wasn't apparent , the loose part probably got seated right when they checked it so it didn't make the noises!

And they don't return calls, they were supposed to call me back to arrange to ship it out there again to fix the problem cuz i told them it cost me $80 to ship it and didn't want to pay that again, and never called me back!

But this ain't the first time I hear this about Soundelux and I'm really not that impressed with their quality control!

But I don't agree that Soundelux should pay for any session. If you are a pro Studio you should have more than one Mic even if that is your best one. If you're car breaks down and you're stuck losing a days work, no car manufaturer will pay for your loss of income! I had requested for them to pay for shipping the 2nd time though!
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindell 2nd
Tom,
You should have Soundelux pay you for losing those two sessions, plus pay for that extra day of studio time it took you to re-track, plus the engineer fee...... No ****, I am serious!
If you loose $$ due to new gear failure, they should be help responsible and compensate you.
If that was the way business was run, there would be no more business. Tom could have rented a mic while that was being repaired, or used a different one.

When he got it back, it is his responsibility to test it before using it on a client. As he said, you get hired because people think you give them something special. To me, that includes testing repaired equipment before the session.

My 2c.
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
If that was the way business was run, there would be no more business. Tom could have rented a mic while that was being repaired,
Who´s gonna pay for that rent? renting a $2k mic I guess would be 20 bux a day. Let´s say it takes ten days (incl shipping) to repair it, thats $200....
Old 11th October 2004
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally posted by David R.
When he got it back, it is his responsibility to test it before using it on a client. As he said, you get hired because people think you give them something special. To me, that includes testing repaired equipment before the session.
So should he test the mic 10 days before using it? Is that a precaution we have to take when we are buying a two thousand dollar microphone? I think that is irrelevant in this case. You buy a high-end mic and expect it to work!!
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

Lindell, not sure why you have the 10 day trial period in there. Don't know where that came from.

To me, it is always risky trying out a new piece of gear or software on the client's dime. Why risky? because the client does not pay for things in my studio that do not work.

Hey, come book my studio because I have this great mic. Thanks for coming, by the way, the great mic doesn't work. Who's fault is that? The guy who said come book my studio because I have this great mic.

Again, my opinion. Your business practices may vary.
Old 11th October 2004
Lives for gear

I think the main point here is that the Gearslutz may account for a good percentage of their sales. If anyone at SD is listening, this could be an opportunity to shine or shine-OLA. I had figured on taking enough of the top of my fees from last month to get an ifet7 plus their 250 is on my "Mics to buy" short list. I guess not unless I hear that all you guys got replacements or repairs that didn't foul up again soon. Sheesh. I don't need that for sure.

Once again, I'm glad I watch this forum closely.

Wonder if anyone at the company is listening.

BTW...I think the other point is that if you take the attitude that "this is a $2000 mic and I expect it to work every time" this can blow up in your face.

I had a brand new high dollar piece of pro gear botch a session in a way that wasn't apparent until later. There were airfares, hotels, and a label V.P. involved. I wanted to crawl in the biggest hole in the world and I wanted to sue the company off of the planet. I would have preferred to give my fee back +50% if I could have had that day back. I'll certainly not let that happen again if I can help it.
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

I was very very close to buying a iFet but came across a great deal on an original 47fet so I jumped on it...Now that I read this thread I'm glad it worked out the way it did!
Old 12th October 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

Well, to balance out the bad experiences. My iFet7 has been doing just fine on both modes since i got it. Its been powered up for at least 8 hours every day for the past 4 months too. No problems, and it sounds great.

So, 2 people with iFet7 issues, and one with a u195 problem. And one person that wants a reimbursement for downtime related to a mic he doesn't own.

Any other soundelux experiences, good or bad?

And about down time: I came from a live/location upbringing. If something crapped out, you'd swap the mic and cable, and go on like nothing happened. Check it out after the show, and get the repair process started. I can't imagine having a single mic or preamp define a studio though. Very rarely is even a modest-sized studio in a state of 100% repair. There is always something broken somewhere. With a good assistant that knows the room, the client might not even notice a whole bucket on the console is blown out. If you panic, the client panics. And a panicked client isn't fun to be around.
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

I own a E47 and owned a U99 for around a year so I like soundelux mic's. I have recomended to a few people the U195 and they have been happy.

The iFet7 well I brought one last year, it started wind type noises after a week and V mode went dead. So the store gave me the other one they had this one I pushed for a night changing modes waiting and changing them again etc etc. It died as well that night.

I shutdown for renovatations after 2 months they had not received a new batch from soundleux and I was short on building funds so I got a refund from the local place. Both were very low serial numbers and I have talked to the local guy who said he has sold ones since with no problems.

It has not stopped me buying Soundelux mics although I never heard the reason why the two Ifet's I had died. Would be intersting to here from Brad or David if there is or was problems with them. Things break its a annoyance, if tehy keep breaking then it pisses you off.
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Lindell 2nd
So what If the iFet was the only mic I had? And I was booked for three days tracking vocals. The mic failures, I don´t get paid by the client, I can´t pay my bills..... and so fourth...
Then you should not be charging the client if you are not prepared to handle a piece of gear crapping out. I certainly would not pay you for that kind of service.

I understand your frustration, but please try and understand you need to be prepared for this type of thing.
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Addict

Mine is a low serial. How about the others out there that are having these problems?

Cheers,
Lumen
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Maniac

I've been waiting for some feedback on the iFet7. Any more comments on the new E250?
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Sir Bob
I've been waiting for some feedback on the iFet7. Any more comments on the new E250?
The ifet7 sounds great on vox to my ears.
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

I bought a new U195 from Atlas in January that had to go back. It was losing power and dropping out. Nathan's service was incredible however. He took care of all the details for me and it was covered under warranty. I had it turned around in around 7-10 days. I can't remember exactly, but it was faster than I expected. Unfortunately, with all the hurricanes and the damage I received from Jeanne, I have had to shut down for several weeks and haven't even used it on a session. I did plug it in and it appears to work.

I have called Soundelux in the past concerning the shockmount and they took my name and number but never called back. That happened twice.
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

thread hijack alert:

buy gefells!
Old 12th October 2004
smk
Gear Maniac

I also bought a U195 and got a broken mic from the retailer. The box was already opened when I received it and there was no warranty card. I returned it, about three months later (a little late bbut after confirming that it was broken in a mic shootout with another U195), and the retailer said they turned the mic into Soundelux for repair. I just recently called them again and the retail manager said he'd check and call me back but hasn't yet. I just want my money back because I think it's a crock to pay for a new mic and receive a used one. Now, I'm not going to say who this retailer is, but if they refuse to give my money back I absolutely will post the retailers name, salesperson's name and the manager's name. Why? As a fair warning for the rest of us who can spend our hard-earned cash with retailers who are honest and fair with their clients.
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Maniac

Wow! I wasn't expecting so many answers, I feel a bit less lonely now, thank you guys...
Mine is #038.

Quote:
If that was the way business was run, there would be no more business. Tom could have rented a mic while that was being repaired, or used a different one.
Some more details for David R. and LTA....

first time it happened the pops appeared in the middle of a session, and they weren't so loud you would jump on your seat, it's when we checked the different takes we noticed there was something wrong, but it was too late! we were at the end of the session and the singer couldn't stay any longer...

the mic had been tested long before we started, it got picked after a short mic shootout and everything would've been perfectly smooth if crap didn't happen...

then it got tested again, exhibiting a true erratic behavior, "farting" in "I" mode, not in "V", then after a while it'd do it in "V" also,etc...sent it for repair.

It came back (with no tech explanation given or just a word saying "we're sorry you experienced problems with one of our product...", but that's ok, I'm busy too...), the morning of a session, I included it in the acc guitar mic shootout, worked perfect but the R-121 got picked instead, IT'S ONLY when we tried different mics for the lead vocal that it did its thing....
and that is when you start listing explicit adjectives, but yes I self-controlled and continued the session with another mic just like my shaolin master taught me.
Unfortunately, the singer didn't like the other mics as much ( including a brand new Babby Bottle that gave us a nice fuzzy tone, it was my lucky day, that'll be next thread...) and it was running late so we rescheduled a session with other mics I borrowed... but rescheduling also means losing another for somebody else...

Just to say that I won't start world war IV against Soundelux, sh*t happens, even when you do things well, it's part of the job, but I'm also in a position where I expect a good support from them, change the mic, take care of the shipping costs, and upgrade me or refund me if it's a design problem they cannot solve...manufacturers, at least those of this category, should always remember they're in a relation of interdependance with us! We often praise them for the great tools they put (sell, excuse me) in our hands, but should also be grateful we trusted them and chose them in the first place!

Ok, enough rambling for the moment...

Tom VDH
VDH RECORDINGS
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear

sorry tom vdh, it doesnt help you, but
i know someone who dropped his brauner vm1
on the floor and the tube broke.
he got it repaired the second day and had not to pay anything.
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Addict

Thanks for this thread, I did not expect all of these replies either.

Mine is #35. Could the packaging they mail these things be at fault?

I mailed mine in the original cherry box (with padding) and the cardboard box that has no extra padding that the mic was originally mailed to the dealer in.

Just a thought.

Guess I better send it off today.

Cheers,
Lumen
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Nut

I have an E47. It was sounding very strange. I am not sure if it was under warranty or not. I sent it back in to get fixed and was told a 2 week turnaround. I heard nothing, but 10 days later, I get a package from UPS. I got the mic back. No note, or bill.
Working great ever since.

My experience with Soundelux. Not fery personable, but the did the right thing.
No complaints here.

As far as paying for lost studio time, There is no way Soundelux could afford to do that.

I would suggest buying from a dealer that can support you with loaners. A good dealer will help you out. Of coarse it might not be the most rock bottom price. There is more to cost than a $ amount.
Steve
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Addict
Ifet 7-Serial 0113. Wind tunnel V. Time to send it in.
Old 12th October 2004
Lives for gear
Oh hell! I've just noticed mine is serial no 006. It was bought through Soundfield in the UK and had to be returned recently due to eratic dropping of level. They could not find anything wrong with it! Funny thing is, the mic has hardly ever been used. Think I'll forget about buying a U195 after all.
Old 12th October 2004
LTA
Gear Addict

#200 here. It had been shipped out to iowa as a demo before i picked it up. So, if it was shipping related, i'm doomed to have the problem. I travel with it too, on occasion. I just put the mic in a plastic bag, put that in the case, and throw it into a backpack or plastic bin. If its related to cold solder joints or improperly mounted caps, i'm sure it will happen to me too. But until then, its running great and i will continue to cart it around town.

Perhaps it was a manufacturing issue that had been remedied. Or perhaps mine is just too new to have developed the problem. Not going to worry about it till it happens.
Old 12th October 2004
Gear Addict

I recently bought a U97 off Harmony Central. The mic appeared
to work OK when initially checked out but I noticed when switching patterns it would "lock up". I thought this was strange
but it would come back and the mic appeared to function OK after that. I finally got a chance to put it to some use and after it is
good and warmed up it locks up (not all the time) if I even talk into it.
I went to the Soundelux website and the service on their discontinued mics is farmed out to someone who never seems to answer the phone (the message answers with a personal name, not a business). No e-mail address. Nice.
Being technically inclined I'll try and fix it myself but this all makes me think twice about springing for any of their other stuff.
📝 Reply