The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
My Soundelux ifet7 is back from repair and still doesn't work!!
Old 30th December 2005 | Show parent
Here for the gear

ELUX251

I own a Soundelux 251 and never had any problems with it. I use it every day for about 3 years now and it works great. I do have the noise problems mentioned with my Neumann M149 though... I figured out it is humidity related... in this time of year I have no problems but in late summer and autumn it starts again.
Old 30th December 2005 | Show parent
Lives for gear

It's good to hear that actually. I love the sound of my ifet7 and wanna believe that I am just unlucky in the one I have. I hoping that when I get another it wil last me many many years to come.

Paul Blenn
Old 10th February 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Deleted by Paul Blenn.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare Nixie
I own a Soundelux 251 and never had any problems with it. I use it every day for about 3 years now and it works great. I do have the noise problems mentioned with my Neumann M149 though... I figured out it is humidity related... in this time of year I have no problems but in late summer and autumn it starts again.
The Soundelux issues were not humidity related, something was up in the production of the iFet7 mics specifically.

The humidity / wind noise with your M149 is caused by dirt and crap on the capsule. Condensation combined with small amounts of dust short out the voltage on the capsule and create this sound. If you are having humidity problems with a condenser mic it will probably get worse as time rolls on. Look into getting the capsule replaced or cleaned by someone like Tracy Korby or Klause etc.

Hope that helps..... wow is this thread old.
C/G
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by not_so_new
wow is this thread old.
Yes it is, but the iFET's keep breaking so on it goes. Glad I dumped mine.
Lives for gear

Hmmm... I think if it were me I'd ask them to replace the ifet7 with a new U195 and refund the difference.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flare Nixie
I own a Soundelux 251 and never had any problems with it. I use it every day for about 3 years now and it works great.
Ditto that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colin Gaucher
Yes it is, but the iFET's keep breaking so on it goes. Glad I dumped mine.
Yep, this thread caused me to not get a iFet7. I was on the fence about it anyway. I was about to pull the trigger a few times and thoughts of this whole mess kept popping into my head..

I am 99.99% sure I will be getting a new E251C pretty soon, sounds like the rest of the Soundelux line is pretty good in the quality department so I hope that works out well for me.

(crosses fingers, knocks on wood and jumps up and down 3 times on right leg while uttering the names "Les Paul" and "Geoff Emerick" to appease the recording gods)
Lives for gear

When trying out iFET7's recently, considering buying one, the first one I was sent by a dealer had the same problem as originally stated in this chain. I returned it and was sent another, which worked fine. After auditioning it, I decided I liked a number of mics better.

Sounds like Soundelux has a fairly serious quality control issue. And, personally, I'm just not fond of the sound of any of the Soundelux mics I've tried -- 4 different ones. Kind of boring to me...
Why aren't these dealers testing the mics before they send them to the customer? It's one thing to fail months or years later, but to be DOA and Soundelux doesn't drop ship, so that means it's got to come from the dealers inventory. These problems would show up immediately as soon as the dealer plugs in the microphone. And FWIW I haven't had a bad iFET7 in here in at least 2 years, so I'm either very lucky, or others are not.
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by analogjeff
Sounds like Soundelux has a fairly serious quality control issue.
Perhaps with the ifet7, but as far as the rest of the line goes they seem to be rock solid.

As far as being boring, Soundelux has the greatest sounding line of high end mics being manufactured today IMO.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meriphew
Perhaps with the ifet7, but as far as the rest of the line goes they seem to be rock solid.
Judging on what I hav read around here and on other sites I think this is the case as well. Most people are VERY happy with everything but the iFet7 so lets not toss the baby out with the bath water here.

Quote:
As far as being boring, Soundelux has the greatest sounding line of high end mics being manufactured today IMO.
Yep, many people really dig the sound but I guess YMMV. As I said I am pretty much sold on the E251C myself, even after all the talk on this thread.
Lives for gear

While on the subject....how come every pic of an ifet7 has a red switch except mine....

When I bought it the dealer told me it was brand new and not a demo....BSers or what?

Old 11th February 2006 | Show parent
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by kats
While on the subject....how come every pic of an ifet7 has a red switch except mine....

When I bought it the dealer told me it was brand new and not a demo....BSers or what?
I think all of the ELUX's are that way too. In most pics (manufacturer's) they have a red switch, but all the ones that I've ever seen (including mine) they are silver.
Gear Nut

Quote:

When mine was returned after repair, the red rubber cover was removed. The repair documentation indicated that it was reported that the red cover prevented the switch from completely engaging on one side or the other - so it was removed.

It's a bit inconvenient since I have use a pen to flip it.

My first ifet7 came making noises. The vendor switched it immediately. I finished tracking the album and didn't use it for another several months. I started another project and once I started using it again and the second one failed.

SD did a great job of expediting the repair, but I'm not comfortable with the sound. To MY ears, both sides sound the same.

If I had my way, I would trade for a U-195 and get a refund for the balance, but the vendor said that I had already had it past a year - even though there was less than 40 hours of time on it. So, I'm stuck with a mic that I'm not really confident with.

It's unfortunate because I have a part time studio and I'm confident that if I was consistently using it, I would have discovered the problem much earlier and trade for a different mic. Because I'm a small, part time studio, I have to watch how and where I spend my money. I spent nearly double for a mic that I believe is substandard to the U195.

Oh well! Nevertheless, if I ever buy another mic (in my continued push to get better gear every couple years), I will probably buy an SD mic, but feel burned on this one.
Lives for gear

Yeah, I just had it confirmed that the latest productions have had the red "thingie" removed. Was just curious...that's all. For what it's worth, I've never had the slightest issue with the ifet7 - has been a solid performer for me - I'd buy another one (probably will actually). I can't see it being a QC thing at the factory - same bloody employees, hard to imagine them conspiring to screw the pooch on the ifet7 but do every other mic well.
Lives for gear

Just wann give a heads up to anyone who is interested. Firstly let me stress that even in this incredibly long thread and for how long it has been going we are only talking about a handful of ifet 7's. My problems are specific to one ifet 7 0144 model number. Not three differetn ifet 7's.

I emailed Brad Lunde who emailed me back. I have to say I am over the moon with his response. I had lost zero faith in soundelux, their products or even the ifet7, which sounds fantasic incidentally. Now that Brad has emailed me back and is personnally helping me on this one has without doubt made me a Soundelux user and customer for life.

Here is his response. (By the way I do have his permission to do this)

Hi Blenn:

Thanks for writing. Gosh, your experience is horrible and I feel awful
about it-I will work like heck to fix it for you and do whatever I can. I've
been in contact with David.

There WAS a fault by a cement manufacturer on the cement they supplied that
let go after a certain time period (works great on assembly, testing, drop
testing, etc but lets go much later). This was not a failure of Soundelux
or SoundField, but of the cement manufacturer. This headgrille is pressure
fit and glued to secure it. We've done it this way from day one and it has
worked fine, save a small quantity of approx 25 or so. We have repaired all
that we know of and this fault has disappeared from our radar screen till
now. Most dealers have never had a defective ifet7.

I do NOT know where the electrical fault comes from. There was a bad part
that showed up in some ifet7's, but it wasn't consistent and we've
identified about 10 with this fault.

I know Ken (he owns SoundField) quite well. He is probably the MOST
honorable guy in pro audio-so this story doesn't sound like him at all.
Blenn, did you actually talk to SoundField yourself, to Ken or was this all
second hand through Sound Control? That info is very important. I cannot
imagine SoundField making you out to be the bad guy in any way-I talk to Ken
all the time and he fusses over Soundelux mics so much you wouldn't believe
it. He cares tremendously about his clients.......to the point of ulcers.

I will say this, in the US all Soundelux dealers are required to help
inspect and test incoming defective or "suspected defective" mics. We've
had many mics come back with no fault and we've had ship damage go through
to the client because the dealer just passed the box on. We want local ears
and eyes to make sure the client is happy and the product they are given is
correct. If anything goes wrong it is to be caught there, at the dealer
level, so it never makes it to the street. The dealer is the last line of
defense to protect the client and this is why dealers are so important.

Can we ship you a new mic on behalf of Soundelux and SoundField? Please
give me your address/phone/ etc...

You are welcome to post this letter to Gearslutz. I do however wish you
could have called or written before posting your comment and photo to avoid
people thinking there remains ongoing issues with Soundelux mics. This is
has a group panic effect. I've had people actually think there are 100's
and 100's of defective mics when it was only about 25 ifet7's (total)
worldwide!
Thanks Blenn.

Brad
TransAudio
High End Pro Audio
Lives for gear

Incidentally. I have apologised to Brad for posting the pic and posting on Gearslutz before giving him time to reply. So to the whole gearslutz community, though we all deserve to know if a product is failing or not, I apologise for being un pro about that. I should have only brought this to everyone's attention if I was treated like crap by Soundelux themselves which, evidently, they are not doing anything but being pro and concerned.

This does come off like I am suck ass but anyone who knows me knows that aint me.
So top marks to soundelux here. Just ****ed off with whoever is to blame in the UK for this treatment.

Paul Blenn
Quote:
Yeah, I just had it confirmed that the latest productions have had the red "thingie" removed. Was just curious...that's all. For what it's worth, I've never had the slightest issue with the ifet7 - has been a solid performer for me - I'd buy another one (probably will actually). I can't see it being a QC thing at the factory - same bloody employees, hard to imagine them conspiring to screw the pooch on the ifet7 but do every other mic well.

My point exactly...the red cap or whatever it was on the switch has been gone, and that's how long it's been since I've seen a problem. Are all the mics the ones with the red cap? They must be inventory from 2003 or early 2004?
Old 12th February 2008 | Show parent
this thread's been dead for a while, but i was searching and it seems that my ifet7 is doing exactly what the original poster's mic was doing - that low sporadic farting/thump noise. it also seems like the mic cable is somehow picking up a lot of noise - like it's live or something. hard to explain (i tried different cables, patches, preamps, etc, same each time till i changed the mic).

they've changed hands to david bock - did anyone get any resolution on this front? i really need mine and i'll be missing some sessions with it starting today. any help or advice would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Old 12th February 2008 | Show parent
Gear Head

Try Atlas Pro Audio.

Bock Audio, SOUNDELUX MICROPHONES, SOUNDELUX ELUX 251, SOUNDELUX U195 - Call Us Toll Free @ 866.235.0953!

They likely can either help you or point you to someone who can.

My pair of low S# ifet7's are still goung strong.
Old 13th February 2008 | Show parent
Lives for gear

If you purchased it through Atlas, then I'd contact Atlas. If not, contact the dealer where you bought it, or Bock Audio.
Lives for gear

not very useful but

I ****ING LOVE SOUNDELUX MICS

AND DAVE B IS A MIC GOD

XXXXXXX

251 IS AWSOME

XXXXXX
Jam
Lives for gear

Wow

This is a hell of a coincidence !!

I've got a client/friend who I sorted out an iFet for about eighteen months ago ( from memory ) and it has the switch problem. Works fine on V but no sound on I.

We're in the UK and it was purchased from Unity Audio who were the distributors at the time.

With the change of situation re Bock Audio and Soundelux who should we contact for service ?

Jam
Old 14th February 2008 | Show parent
Jam
Lives for gear

First thing in the morning bump !!

Jam
500 series nutjob

contact Brad @ TransAudio Group - Pro Audio Distributor
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jam View Post
Wow

This is a hell of a coincidence !!

I've got a client/friend who I sorted out an iFet for about eighteen months ago ( from memory ) and it has the switch problem. Works fine on V but no sound on I.

We're in the UK and it was purchased from Unity Audio who were the distributors at the time.

With the change of situation re Bock Audio and Soundelux who should we contact for service ?

Jam
Yes Pan60 is right, you can get to me, or get to Richard here in my office on service. We are the distributor for BOCK and we were the folks who sold Soundelux (to dealers) as well. So we've been invovled in SOundelux/BOCK for a long time.

On ifet7's, flip the switch hard, flip it a bunch! Often what happened was the electronics board insde would shift just a hair, preventing the switch from fully engaging in one direction or the other. If you can reseat the switch, it works. This was a frsutrating problem to have, for there is nothing wrong with the mic other than this mechanical issue usually appearing after a few knocks (shipping).

We did have some early ifet7's have a bad part, but this was ages ago (I think we saw about 25 of these). We haven't seen one of those now for a couple of years I think as it was a part that went bad after a few thermal cycles.

BTW, don't PM me here-just use my email address! [email protected]
Brad

Brad

David has been servicing Soundelux, covering warranty issues as they arose. Soundelux shut down and David continues on as BOCK AUDIO and we have been trying to ramp up production on 195 epscially, 151 (known before as the 251C) and 251 (the old ELUX251) continue on as before.
Old 15th February 2008 | Show parent
thanks for all the help brad - it's on it's way to james gangwer right now.
Old 15th February 2008 | Show parent
Jam
Lives for gear

Thanks Pan and Brad.

Brad I'm a bit pushed at the moment but I'll drop you and email when I've got ten minutes.

Jam
Old 28th March 2008 | Show parent
Jam
Lives for gear

Thanks

Hi All

Just wanted to post a quick thanks to Brad Lunde ( TransAudio Group ) and Kev Bent ( Unity Audio ) for helping me get this sorted.

Jam
📝 Reply