The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Damn... another tuner bites the dust!
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Addict

Damn... another tuner bites the dust!

Okay, the second guitar tuner in 2 years has bit the dust. This one was dropped onto a concrete floor...

What tuner do you use? I was thinking a rackmount like the Korg DTR 2000 or Sabine RT 7000 might live a little longer around here. Or maybe a Peterson VS-1 (not the rackmount version), it seems kind of overbuilt.

Any suggestions???
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

I have a Peterson 450 rackmout (I believe that's right . . not in the control room). It's not made anymore. Buy a Peterson and get it over with. You will never buy another. The only downside is . . some clients aren't familiar with them and you either have to show them how to use them . . or tune for some of them. Great for setting up intonation etc.
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Addict

Thanks Knox/Strat,

So Peterson's the real deal huh?
Is the Korg DT2000 total crap?
Is this a good thing to buy second hand/ebay?

I'm mostly tuning guitars/mandolins/bass and need to have a built-in/exterior mic type function for acoustic gtrs w/out pick-ups.

Anybody?
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

You actually can buy one off ebay as Peterson is a great company and stands by their stuff if you need it brought to spec. There is a Korg DT2000 here as well. It is in the live room for clients. The Peterson is in the control room with me . . .get the Peterson! *smile*

I NEVER use the Korg. I have been using strobes since 70s. I believe ALL Petersons have an external mic or a mic on the front panel. There is a clip on or suction cup mic option that would be cool for mandolin.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
... I'm mostly tuning guitars/mandolins/bass and need to have a built-in/exterior mic type function for acoustic gtrs w/out pick-ups.
I have the RT-7000 and I like it very much. If you need the built in mic and are considering going with the Sabine then the RT-7100 is the one you want not the 7000.
Old 28th December 2002
Lives for gear

Here is the one I have . . . it's edited from a strange photo (semi fish eye) of some racks so it looks funny in the picture. If you can find one of these . . it's happening . . . . not as ugly as some of their new ones. Cool thing about some of their new ones though . . is you don't have to click over to the seperate notes . . they have seperate wheels. Pretty cool . . expensive though.
Attached Thumbnails
Damn... another tuner bites the dust!-pet.jpg  
Old 28th December 2002
Gear Addict

Thanks Knox and Tim,

I appreciate your comments (and the extra effort of posting that photo Knox). Lots to think about... I'll dig around and see what prices are like. I'd like to get a strobe tuner this time though.

Knox, when you say that "you never use the Korg" does that mean that you discourage clients from using it?
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Knox, when you say that "you never use the Korg" does that mean that you discourage clients from using it?
No, not at all . . though I do try to use one or the other throughout a recording. I hate it when there are 3 or 4 tuners floating around during a recording.

I KNOW that if a person takes the time with a Peterson . . whatever instrument they are tuning is damn well in tune (if it can be tuned)! Sometimes with the Korg and some of the other led types . . . . it's easy to fool yourself into thinking it's in tune. Peterson . . you know! Peterson will also show people how messed up their instruments are . . . and sometimes they don't like that. Though to me, it's important to know what you are dealing with in the studio. MANY times someone has tuned with the Korg . . we start tracking, things don't sound quite right. Stop tape (not hard drive *smile*) . . . bring it in, put the Peterson on it. Take it back out . . . done.

From what I hear, the small battery operated Peterson is good.
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

i have a korg dtr rackmounted tuner , its alive for almost 10 years . i never had a problem with it . it was on the road its now in my studio , its the only piece of gear i own which is always working . i have a small korg tuner with a mic for the acoustics , same here , works always .
Old 29th December 2002
Lives for gear

I'm sure the Peterson's great (it certainly has an outstanding reputation) but I haven't had any problems tuning with the RT7000. At least not yet anyway.
Old 30th December 2002
One with big hooves

I have a Sabine something, the original one floating around the control room. For my personal stuff I use a Korg DT-7 and sometimes I'll dig it out for clients that can't deal with the Sabine because it is a little exacting. Actually, that's why I like it. Those Boss pedal tuners are pretty cool too. The Peterson's are the shit though, a bit hard to use if your used to a standard Boss tuner and quite a bit more expensive.

What tuner bit the dust? I know quite a few people that have been beating the crap out of the same Boss TU-12 or Korg DT-1 for years (5 in my case) but people who spend $20 or $30 on a tuner are replacing it every year or so.
Old 30th December 2002
Lives for gear

I have a Korg DTR2 in the control room with a split from the 2 buss normalized to feed it. This makes it easy for someone overdubbing with me to tune himself. Also, if I suspect something is not kosher I just solo that track and check it out.

There's a new Boss strob pedal for the guy(s) in the booth or live room.
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by Jay Kahrs
What tuner bit the dust?
the latest was a Boss TU-12, the old one was a Korg GT-6. I was happy with them while they worked. The Korg lasted several years. The TU-12 only lasted a year.

I was hoping a rack unit might save me from the "butter fingered" guitarists around here. With my luck, they'll probably find a way to pull over the entire rack.

The Tape Op article (a couple months back) got me thinking a lot about tuners and tuning procedure. I think I may ready to get a top notch tuner and beat players up with it a bit more... it's for their own (and mine) good!
Old 30th December 2002
Gear Maniac

FWIW: I often have a tuner hooked up to a headphone amp in the recording room, that way all musicians can easily check the tuning right before recording. A nice bonus is that all are using the same tuner, it eliminates calibration issues.

When a song is recorded with non-standard tunings, I also record a reference tone so that overdubbing will go smoother.

A tone can also be useful when recording with varispeed - you can use the tuner to find the proper speed.

/Mats
Old 31st December 2002
urumita

mine are always getting stolen, is there a tuner with a burgular alarm?
Old 31st December 2002
One with big hooves

Quote:
I was hoping a rack unit might save me from the "butter fingered" guitarists around here. With my luck, they'll probably find a way to pull over the entire rack.
Probably by forgetting to unplug before walking across the room, breaking the input jack in the process. I've done it.
Old 31st December 2002
Lives for gear

Get the VS-1 and be done with it. No more fucking calibrating 3 times a day.

My goal this year is to program a preset to get a Les Paul in tune!heh
Old 31st December 2002
Can the VS-1 cope with chords? I heard it could not.

My (now broken) Conn valve strobe could, it was great for locating 'out' strings in a chord.... you would see one band of the strobe out of the many, creeping back or forward - then you would tweek it so that it stayed put like the other bands on display, it wasnt super clear but you could just kinda make it out...

Jules
Old 2nd January 2003
Lives for gear

My Boss TU-12H was just stolen from a gig after well over a decade of faithful service. I am heartbroken.

For live use, I will buy another of the same, for studio use I will read this colum and tent my fingers like Mr. Burns and say 'excellent'.'
Old 19th November 2007
Here for the gear

Hello guys...

I have a stupid question !

In France, we have a trick to tune guitars without any equipment. We just have to pick up the phone and listen to its tone wich is a A.
I just want to know if people in the USA (and in other countries) can use the phone tone as well to get a specific note and tune their instrument.

There's not really a point with this topic but I need this information for a personal study !

Thank you mates!
reXet
Old 19th November 2007
Lives for gear

A here, too !
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

conn
Old 20th November 2007
Gear Maniac

If you don't need rackmount, check out the Peterson Strobostomp for $180ish. Built like a tank, very accurate, and features Guitar and Bass tempered tuning. No mic, 1/4" input.

I use one in the studio and also have it on my pedalboard for tuning at gigs. Accurate enough to do an intonation.
Old 20th November 2007
Lives for gear

I use a tuning fork. I'm saving up for one of those single A440 concert bells.

Seriously, I keep losing tuners that I just use a tuning fork.
Old 20th November 2007
Here for the gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5down1up View Post
A here, too !
Thank you

Quote:
Originally Posted by allencollins View Post
conn

What does that mean ?

The most important is the USA for my study. Any idea guys ?
Old 23rd November 2007
Here for the gear

up ?
Old 23rd November 2007
Lives for gear

My Sabine is at least 10 years old... no issues ever. It's not a Peterson, but it's solid and inexpensive.
Old 23rd November 2007
Gear Addict

I like the Boss TU-80.
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear