The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
A degree in Audio...now what? 500 Series EQ\'s
Old 12th July 2008
Gear Nut

Sweetwater? Really?

See, to me that's a boring office job. I'm sure that all those employees are well taken care of. But... if you have a passion for making create coffee and espresso drinks along with other high quality food... would you be happy working for Starbucks? (I say this as an ex-Starbucks supervisor, and someone who can free pour heart shaped cappuccinos)

I've looked at these paths. My school places grads at BOSE. But.... no.

Whether you fancy yourself an engineer/recordist or a producer... the daily use of our skills is an art. Hell, navigating your way up the studio ladder is an art.

Sweetwater "Sales Engineers" are guys who have zero creative freedom at work. I'm not saying the job is bad. But if you (claim to) have the same desires as the man sitting at the console, then you should rightfully dedicate that kind of time to those desires.

40 hours a week selling MBoxes will pay your bills. 60 hours a week creating music will satisfy you and create some great friendships.

This is not a job. It's a lifestyle.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm going to head down to the studio and spend the next 12 hours getting different drum sounds with every mic in the locker and every drum in the closet. I'm bringing a loaf of bread and a jar of peanut butter because it's all I can afford to eat for the next 2 or 3 days because I've spent all my money on mics.

And that's just the way it is.
Old 12th July 2008
Selling music gear is the ultimate sign of defeat.

Unless you work for Mercenary. They're the only gear retailers I know of that have any integrity with what they carry. I imagine they spend more time testing and beating up stuff in the MethLab than selling stuff.

Even though some people there can be a little snobby about some things, they *DO* know what they are talking about and always have a point.
Old 12th July 2008
I would tend to agree with you, but then I think... there must be some, even greater, sign of defeat, although beats me what it would be.
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

I have worked retail in a music business, and I really enjoyed it. Yes, I would like to have my own studio business, etc, but it's not the worst thing you could possibly do or anything. Frankly I'd be happy to work at Sweetwater for a few years, getting product and recording knowledge along with discounts and a nice paycheck, and then get on with my "career."

And there is something "worse": for four years now, in the summer I work for various music repair shops. 8-10 hours a day of cleaning out gunk from middle school brass instruments, repadding clarinets and flutes with molded pads, and all kinds of other stuff. It's not my idea of fun, but it does pay for my college. It's also a valuable tool, in terms of knowledge and money-making possibilities.
Old 12th July 2008
Lives for gear

I think If your looking for advice ,
I think to be true and original Id think you need to
find your own way into the industry

taking advice will not only head a way of sameness

its an artistic occupation
not exactly a cookie cuter job

originality is has nothing in the same as something else

thats if you dont want to walk into an industry of every one wearing the same color shirt
Old 13th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
And there is something "worse"...
I knew it.

But, like you say, all the "brutality-style" jobs I've had to do were very valuable in opening my eyes to some seamy underside or other of the real world, you really aren't a complete person unless you've suffered in some way.
Old 13th July 2008
Lives for gear

Also, with a couple hundred bucks investment, I can get all the tools and chemicals to do what I do for these companies, and do it in my future basement and make a good bit of money in the summer. Always on the lookout for more business opportunities, you know?
Old 13th July 2008
Old 13th July 2008
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corran View Post
Also, with a couple hundred bucks investment, I can get all the tools and chemicals to do what I do for these companies, and do it in my future basement and make a good bit of money in the summer. Always on the lookout for more business opportunities, you know?
Selling grass?
Old 16th July 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by big country View Post

+1...

onw of my favorite albums of all time - "apostrophe".

hear it, learn it, live it, love it!!

Old 16th July 2008
Gear Addict

James, I like your posts but I absolutely disagree with the last one. Working in a good environment with a lot of networking opportunities, with all benefits, bills taken care of, in a bad a$$ city (Indianapolis) and with a bunch of peers selling gear is definitely not the 'ultimate' sign of defeat, be real man.

I worked at different places throughout college to pay for my bills, that was not defeat, that was me doing what needed to get done to graduate and achieve my goal at the time.

Or take a lot of guys around here like Bruce Brown, quote from his website:

Puget Sound Studios » Bio

"After touring with a few east coast bands (The John Clayton Band, Player) in the 80’s playing keyboards and sax, he got tired of the starving artist routine and went into the medical field where he still practices anesthesia part-time at a local hospital.

He kept his ears in the music field doing live location recording and mastering but always dreamed of building..."

He has got a nice facility .

The bottomline is that there is NOTHING wrong about working a side job to pay your bills, that is definitely not defeat. If you can get any job within the audio industry, even better.
Old 16th July 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamSound View Post
"After touring with a few east coast bands (The John Clayton Band, Player) in the 80’s playing keyboards and sax, he got tired of the starving artist routine and went into the medical field where he still practices anesthesia part-time at a local hospital.
An extraordinary number of musicians practice anesthesia, they just don't know it.

There are only two requirements for an outside job:

1) it pays enough to serve its purpose

2) it doesn't exhaust you so much you can't do what you really want to do with the rest of your time.

Everything else is negotiable.

3rd&4thT
Old 16th July 2008

the interesting thing about all this sweetwater, etc. sh*t is the following principle:

almost everyone in the industry makes money (and only CAREER money, if they're LUCKY)
off musicians and music, except the musicians...

if you wake the fukk up and look around you - you'll see this is true in 99.99% of all cases.

now back to sweetwater and guitar center

yikes - i certainly NEVER dreamed about this kind of sh&t reality when i was a kid...

Old 17th July 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by James Meeker View Post
Selling music gear is the ultimate sign of defeat.
Kinda like standing next to the toilet needing a pi** all day and being payed to open the cubicle doors for all comers and showing them where the toilet roll is......while surrounded by co-workers who don't know where the toilet roll is, or if they do, don't know what its good for in a 'real life situation'......

Although there are exceptions here in London. There are a couple of gear firms that exclusively sell and set up systems for pro's only and if you work for one of these you do get to meet a lot of connected people.

If you think standing in turnkey/=Guitarcenter will do anything for your studio career you are definitely dreaming though.
Old 14th November 2008
Lives for gear

marry a rich woman...
Old 15th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Baderup99 View Post
marry a rich woman...
... but be CAREFUL what you wish for.....
Old 15th November 2008
Gear Head

i did over 150 live shows my first year on the road, and only made $4000. Within two years i made that in 10 days. You have to pay your dues, everybody has done it. You have to be willing to sacrifice. ....sorry for the sermon, im passionate about hard work and sacrifice.
Old 15th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by AudioFields View Post
i did over 150 live shows my first year on the road, and only made $4000. Within two years i made that in 10 days. You have to pay your dues, everybody has done it. You have to be willing to sacrifice. ....sorry for the sermon, im passionate about hard work and sacrifice.

so, does that mean you're not going to marry a rich woman?...er, or man?...

...or maybe you are a woman?...er, uh, i mean.....

Old 15th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by joelpatterson View Post
... but be CAREFUL what you wish for.....
lol.....do I detect a less than favourable experience in yer past....? heh
Old 18th November 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by Karloff70 View Post
lol.....do I detect a less than favourable experience in yer past....? heh
Does the phrase "pretty hippy chick that eventually turned into a carbon copy of her father, a monster of selfishness and greed" need any translation?
Old 18th November 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Does the phrase "pretty hippy chick that eventually turned into a carbon copy of her father, a monster of selfishness and greed" need any translation?
Hahaha...that's awesome.

Frank
Old 18th November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
LOL....as you know by now, wishes are often granted, which is why the detail in the wish is very important.......something like" I want a beautiful chick that is NOT a monster of selfishness and greed" might have saved you....hehhehheh oh, the beauty of hindsight....

A bit like that great Beck tune "nightmare hippy girl".......tofu the size of Texas....lol
Old 22nd November 2008
Quote:
LOL....as you know by now, wishes are often granted, which is why the detail in the wish is very important.......something like" I want a beautiful chick that is NOT a monster of selfishness and greed" might have saved you....hehhehheh oh, the beauty of hindsight....

lol...i'll take the corporate non-hippy chick anytime...at least i know what i'm freeking in for...

...those hippy chicks.....man....

Old 22nd November 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sqye View Post

lol...i'll take the corporate non-hippy chick anytime...at least i know what i'm freeking in for...

...those hippy chicks.....man....

Don't underestimate the innate ability of ANY woman to utterly and spectacularly surprise you.........even the corporate ones....heh
Old 22nd November 2008
Quote:
Don't underestimate the innate ability of ANY woman to utterly and spectacularly surprise you.........even the corporate ones....heh

much better luck with the corporate ones myself...

ok, what does this have to do with a degree in audio, again.. ?

...oh yes, right.....money to survive....right...

yeah, i think hippy chick and starving artist dude = lots of unpaid bills.....

Old 22nd November 2008
Gear Guru

No, I think it's: hippychick and degree in audio = neither is going to help you make any money in the music business and both are likely to cost noticeable amounts........heh
Old 6th January 2009
Gear Nut

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS View Post
Or, as a freelancer, do you rent the room yourself and the band pays you back plus your charge above that?
Could someone answer this? I'm in the same boat as the OP. I wanna get out there and start recording people, but I don't know the business mechanics of using someone elses studio to record bands I bring in.

Any help/advice would be appreciated
Old 7th January 2009
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alien Tech View Post
Could someone answer this? I'm in the same boat as the OP. I wanna get out there and start recording people, but I don't know the business mechanics of using someone elses studio to record bands I bring in.

Any help/advice would be appreciated
thumbsup
Still curious how to go about it, too.
Old 22nd January 2009
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by TREMORS View Post
thumbsup
Still curious how to go about it, too.
Based on my limited amount of experience, I would think this could depend on a few factors.

1. If you are going to rent out a room (which can get quite costly) make sure you have have a band who is ready. You dont need to get there and then have your time wasted with squabbles over production elements or nit picking guitar tones, etc. If you can do pre production on your own modest gear, by all means, it will save you lots of time and money. Ballpark your guitar and bass tones if possible, change and tune your drum heads before you go in. If you are working with a vocalist who has never been in the studio, let him get acclimated to the mic. I have worked with multiple vocalists who are all over the stage with a mic in their hand, but when they have to stay in one place, it feels akward. Some even get extremely nervous and cannot perform. (its like ED for vocalists!)

2. Make sure you have a schedule and deadlines. If you have 2 weeks in the studio with 6 hour blocks every day, make sure you lay things out. "Drums need to be done by X day, Guitars by X day, etc.". There is nothing worse than having a limited amount of time to work with and getting behind schedule, or worse, being left with almost no time to mix because of it. More than likely, the band is not going to have the money to pay for the additional studio time, and you will have to come out of pocket if you want to finish the project. You can try to go after them later for the cash or hold the finished master, but that can get very ugly, very fast.

3. Pay attention and get yourself acclimated with your surroundings. Trying to figure out the routing and tracing patches in a room you are unfamiliar with can eat up more time than you would think if you dont have an in house engineer there to assist you.

As someone who has been down the audio school route years ago, I know what you are going through. Fisrt and foremost, make sure you are ready to rent a room. Make sure you are confident enough in your abilities as an engineer to give the client a product you feel is worthy of having your name on. If you have no practical experience, then the greatest gear in the world is not going to make your mixes sound any better. Just dont over sell yourself as something you are not. If you really miss the mark on a project because you hyped your engineering skills up like you were a Lord Alge or something, that is going to make your job as a salesman (because as folks have said, that is what we are) even harder. Now, I am not trying to tell you that you need to tell everyone "hey! I am fresh out of audio school! Hire me as your engineer so I can make your ubar souding recordz!" Just approach it with a little bit of reality in mind and dont go off the deep end with your sales pitch.

Sorry, I kinda of ran off track with that post. 2 hours of sleep and 3 energy drinks later, my thoughts begin to run together. I hope it makes sense.
Old 25th January 2009
Lives for gear

Well, I have decided to go back to the intern route.
I plan to hang around till they need a restraining order...
Topic:

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search