The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Mackie D8B Ver. 5
Old 25th December 2002
Mackie D8B Ver. 5

New Ver.5 OS for the D8B including full HUI mode.
D8B Ver.5
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

I've checked out the webpage. And it loks rerally cool. Especially now they've added the ability to add plug-ins on the busses. This should keep this console in the studio for another couple of years.
Old 27th December 2002
Exactly. I was ready to scrap both of mine very soon. But I think with the new features and the new Eq, which I think sounds way better now, I am going to keep them for a while. I dont plan on going past 48k and only use them for mixing anyways. The improved routing is a plus and they gave you pretty much all of the requests that were given to them. Including a few of mine. Now they need to get some more plugs on the dam thing. Hopefully all of the UAD plugs will come. I just wish there were seperate filters from the eq. Oh well.
Old 27th December 2002
Lives for gear

From the webpage:

"What do I like about v5? Just look at it, need I say more? Go through the different screens and you'll soon find out that there isn't anything available today in its price range that does what the d8b does or offers as many options."

Peter Love
Head Engineer at
Goodnight LA Studios
1993-2001

Because, y'know, looks are so important... And this from the guy that brought us "Sinner - Judgement Day", and "John Klemmer - Making Love Vol 1"...
Old 6th January 2003
Lives for gear

I try to never flame anything or anybody, but on this i'll make an exception...
Buying the D8B was the worst gear purchase i've EVER made. Sounds and feels cheap, and the pres are a joke. It sits in a corner so my 19 month old has a toy when he comes to work with dad. If the HUI emulation actually works, I'll finally have a use for it.
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by bjornson
I try to never flame anything or anybody, but on this i'll make an exception...
Buying the D8B was the worst gear purchase i've EVER made. Sounds and feels cheap, and the pres are a joke. It sits in a corner so my 19 month old has a toy when he comes to work with dad. If the HUI emulation actually works, I'll finally have a use for it.
Well, maybe you can point out what in particular sounds cheap and toylike in this mix?

Crashing down
Old 20th January 2003
Lives for gear

Heeeeey now ! no offence meant, if your making hits with it god bless ya!
Imagine what you could do with a real console! Back when i played davis cup junior tennis with a ****ty dunlop max ply people thought i was crazy, but the racquet worked for me, so i understand where your coming from. I just think the d8b was overhyped and didn't live up to my own expectations. I was razzing myself for buying it , not you! If you love it that much you need two! you can have mine for $2500.00!
Old 1st February 2003
Gear Head

henchman, I agree with Bjorn.

while your mix is good, i still cant help feel it could be so much better -minus the D8B.

You are certainly a capable engineer but there was something a little sterile to my ears with your mix (particularly the drums). The guitars were very warm considering its the D8B....Did you use any outboard valve stuff on the gtrs??

Of course you like the console and if you are happy with it, I am happy for you.

i think you recommened the console for me on another thread. Nah, I will just use my analog console (when I buy one)

good stuff henchman......but get another console.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search