The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
DBX 586
Old 7th January 2003
One with big hooves

The V72 was/is a line amp that can be used as a mic pre. My 672's are line amps with 38dB of gain, actually 40.5dB because there's a +/- 1.5dB trim pot on the front panel. It's more then enough for most things except ribbon mics on vocals or acoustic guitars.
Old 7th January 2003
Lives for gear

I agree that the V72's rock and I nearly always end up padding the input on mine..if you need it, the V78 has more (and variable) gain. The non valve telefunken stuff Jay mentions is really good too.
Old 8th January 2003
Here for the gear

hi there! my first post here, this one...

i own a yamaha AW 4416 and since i wasn't content with the quality the vocal sound i got from its preamps i decided to buy a preamp. since i am still a student and on a somewhat tight budget (as 99% of all the people on this board i guess), i bought a 376 for 243US$ on ebay. with shipping (i live in germany), money order costs and everything i ended up with a price somewhere near 300 euros (which is a bit more than 300US$). compared to 700 euros for a new unit (german price) i think it was a real bargain. i tracked my first vocals with it a few weeks ago and there was a big difference in sound, certainly a positive one. even more the digital output gives me one more channel to record directly (a feature you have to pay extra money for with every other preamp in that price range).
i had some problems with the drive control as well, so that a doubling vocal track sounds as it clips a few times (unfortunately i noticed it too late ). now i've read mr. crams comments here (it's nice to read comments of audio company people, gives you the feeling some of them actually care about their customers ) it's all very clear to me and i know what i have to do in the future. i'd rather have a neve as well, but as i said, for that price...
Old 22nd April 2003
Here for the gear

DBX 586 woes...

I also have a DBX 586. It was one of the first mic pres that I bought about a year and a half ago when I got interested in recording (and had no clue).

I've been reading the comments here and have some thoughts of my own on the unit.

Regarding the tube drive and output gain knobs. Generally, I can't bring the tube drive past 12 o'clock because if I do, it will peak out the line. So there really is no point for the tube drive to turn past 12. The same goes with the output gain knob. Anything past 12 gives you crappy fuzz on my unit. It has absolutely no headroom on quiet instruments.

That being said, the limiting knob has come in handy for louder instruments like Kick & Snare micing. The Kick and Snare sound ok through this unit (based on my limited experience). I also own a Sytek and JoeMeek TwinQ. I usually try to get basic drum sounds out of the Sytek and close mic with the other two mic pres. I've also used the tube and limiter for f/x on vocals. I use EQ rarely, but have occasionally tweaked it a little for nice effect.

In the end, I have found uses for the DBX, but the tube and gain section suck (which to me is the essence of a preamp)! I sent it in to DBX and they sent it back telling me it was working the way it was supposed to and at the proper/acceptable noise levels...so I guess it's supposed to...well...suck!

Verdict: It served its purpose. I've gotten some use out of the unit, but I will be selling it soon to make room for something better.
Old 22nd April 2003
Lives for gear

Hey Jay,

Would you mind detailing the bellari mods you mentioned? I am most curious.

thanks!
-scott
Old 23rd April 2003
One with big hooves

Go here and enter in rec.audio.pro as the newsgroup.

http://groups.google.com/advanced_group_search?hl=en

You should turn up plenty of info.
Old 24th November 2013
Here for the gear

I know this is a really old thread

BUT, had anyone bothered to talk to DBX techs, they would have found out a long time ago, this unit has high voltage at the plate, NOT a starved tube AND i do believe i saw one of the posts that clarified this from a DBX tech design
πŸ“ Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
πŸ–¨οΈ Show Printable Version
βœ‰οΈ Email this Page
πŸ” Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
πŸŽ™οΈ View mentioned gear