The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone? Dynamic Microphones
Old 9th December 2016
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterrok View Post
tried acoustic guitar and vocals a few times. for example, in my room, in the same mic position an re20 sounds hifi, whil the 635a sounds lovely, but different. I should search out another re15/re16.
Sounds like your RE15 is shot. I've got a few here both sound a bit different but always great. I alternate between RE15 and RE20 for my own vocals. They sound different but not hugely different. There's a definite family resemblance.

On another note, my 635a has been in the mic closet for a while without getting much use. I like it well enough but have moved away from it in recent years. Just picked up a Sennheiser MD211U. Holy crap, this is what an omni dynamic should sound like. I've been using it as a mono overhead and am realizing that with a little repositioning I could probably just dump all the other mics on the kit.
Old 9th December 2016
Motown legend

I probably already posted this. While they can hammer nails, one drop to the floor right on the nose destroys the high-end.
Old 6th May 2018
Here for the gear

Interesting discussion. Many years ago I was at a presentation by an EV VP (back in the Bucanan, MI era), anyway he mentioned that the 635A had a high SPL tolerance (something I don't find on the data sheet). He suggested using them to mike trumpets and trombones, with the mike right in the bell. Excellent separation, of course. The real beauty of the 635A, in addition to durability, is the lack of proximity effect. If you look at the frequency chart you see that boost of 8-10 dB at 100Hz makes a real difference.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search