The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone? Dynamic Microphones
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
This:
VERY much like a 635a, but smoother & richer sounding, with more extension of the top and bottom.
I put mine on a set of congas yesterday. Just below the heads, very tight in between. Nice woody warmth with plenty of head tone.

I got it from my drummer 3 years ago on a 57 trade. Just last weekend, he said he had something for me, and pulled the original stand clip out of his pocket. Yahoo!
Old 1st November 2012
Lives for gear

Yep one of my faves out of a bunch of cheap mics i recently got. Really good!!
Old 3rd November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Very nice headspin!

Chris
Thanks mate!
Old 24th November 2012
Gear Addict

I still need one.

*runs away in shame*
Old 24th November 2012
Studio I started working with has one... Gonna use it on everything!! Cooge
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear
Still getting into this, but I did a hurried A/B comparison between the 635a and a EV 835 mic for female vocals. It's close, but I'm leaning towards the 635a.

Now I'm thinking--why did I blow so much $ on all those cheap condenser mics?

But I have another more serious question. I grew up listening to pop/rock from the 60's on. Do you all think this colors my preference towards the 635a because of what I perceive as what the sound should be or if someone were starting fresh, never having heard anything recorded, one would pick out the 635a?
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2manyrocks View Post
Still getting into this, but I did a hurried A/B comparison between the 635a and a EV 835 mic for female vocals.
You mean Sennheiser 835?
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

Hands down, the EV635A remains my favorite microphone for tracking background vocals, especially when the lead is tracked with a more detailed condenser mic by the same singer as the BGV singer. It's got this perfect limited bandwith, gritty and not-so-transparent midrange character that helps the BGV sit behind lead vocals.

However, I hold to my opinion that it's a pretty terrible lead vocal mic (the worst I've ever tried to be honest), as it really lacks fullness. I've even tried it running through various mojo preamps and compressors. No luck. Different tools for different applications though. As I've said, I couldn't do without this little guy for my BGV's, especially when it's a must that I somehow differentiate the tone and character of BGV's and Lead vocals performed by the same dude.
Old 25th November 2012
Lives for gear

speaking of 'sleepers', I think some of you were sleeping on this one... Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone?
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
You mean Sennheiser 835?
Yes. I must have EV imprinted on my brain.
Old 26th November 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Patrick, might have mentioned it before on this thread, but a cheapie fave vocal chain of mine is 635A>nice prosumer pre ala current Mackie's (or better pre) to bring it up to line level>Bellari MP105 (can be unmodded for this!).

IMHO should this should also work well with the ART Tube MP. With the likely caveat of the above low end chain being best suited for singer/songwriter type low track counts.

Chris
Old 26th November 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitarboy94 View Post
Hands down, the EV635A remains my favorite microphone for tracking background vocals, especially when the lead is tracked with a more detailed condenser mic by the same singer as the BGV singer. It's got this perfect limited bandwith, gritty and not-so-transparent midrange character that helps the BGV sit behind lead vocals.

However, I hold to my opinion that it's a pretty terrible lead vocal mic (the worst I've ever tried to be honest), as it really lacks fullness. I've even tried it running through various mojo preamps and compressors. No luck. Different tools for different applications though. As I've said, I couldn't do without this little guy for my BGV's, especially when it's a must that I somehow differentiate the tone and character of BGV's and Lead vocals performed by the same dude.

I think you have raised an interesting point about the 635a:

I have noticed that if you want an instrument to sit in the mix in a somewhat "unassuming" manner (and without using a lot of processing to do it) the 635a can be a pretty good choice.

It's almost like you choose it not so much for WHAT instrument you're recording, but rather how you want it to sit in the mix.

I've used it on everything from backvox to trumpet to hand percussion, etc., when I know I'm gonna want that instrument to sit back in the mix (but without it getting lost) and without having to use a whole lotta processing to get it there.

It's NOT really a "natural" sounding mic, but using it on such a source can result in a much more "natural sound" in that situation than you would normally get with an "accurate" mic (and then processing it all to hell in order to to get it to sit in the mix in the way it needs to sit).

...Go figure...
Old 30th May 2014
I brought out the 635 for a duet tonight(both vocalists singing on the same mic, one take) and it was great. It's funny, when I've tested the mic I found it mid heavy, but I don't hear that listening back to the tracks. Granted, it doesn't sound like a condenser. Nonetheless, I'm really getting into 635 and omni dynamics in generals. thumbs up.
Old 30th May 2014
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterrok View Post
I brought out the 635 for a duet tonight(both vocalists singing on the same mic, one take) and it was great. It's funny, when I've tested the mic I found it mid heavy, but I don't hear that listening back to the tracks. Granted, it doesn't sound like a condenser. Nonetheless, I'm really getting into 635 and omni dynamics in generals. thumbs up.
I think the ability to appreciate Omni mics come with experience, you have to experience them and realize they won't "f*ck up" the tracking process like some imagine if the engineer is listening to what he's doing.

I still use my 635a on brass, sometimes as a beater side kick/under the snare mic too. As has been said, good for guitars, percussion, voices and such when they don't need to be as forward as other instruments.
Old 30th May 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazz Noise View Post
I think the ability to appreciate Omni mics come with experience, you have to experience them and realize they won't "f*ck up" the tracking process like some imagine if the engineer is listening to what he's doing.
Agreed. I'm lovin the depth you can get from an omni without all that proximity effect(not to mention smooth off axis response).
Old 9th April 2016
Here for the gear
Hi everyone.

I was given a EV 635A by my music teacher when I was 11, because he thought it didn't work. 8 years later, I am using it in pair with an SM57 on my Fender Tweed Twin amp. I originally had the 57 and an SM58 on twins, but then in listening to the bottom speaker sound (SM58), it was really lacking tone and was really buzzy. I rediscovered the 635a in my MISC box and thought "might as well try it". Immediately after connecting the 635a, the bottom speaker came to life.

You've given me lots of ideas to try with this mic, like my nest sessions of vocals and drums. Thanks all
Old 10th April 2016
Lives for gear

I have two 635As, one from 60s, one from 70s. They sound v similar.
It would not be my first choice for vocals.

Def good on guitar amps. I think it's best application is a crush mic for drums.
The limited bandwidth is a plus there. Throw it into a levellor or any other aggressive compressor
Old 13th October 2016
I used the 635a to record a lead guitar on a song I recorded and mixed just a couple of weeks back (I often use it in the guitar closet - sounds bigger then a 57 shoved in the grill).

Added a little Eventide H910 plugin and a really magical feel instantly happened.

It's been released as a single in advance of Breakout West in Saskatchewan.

This is Megan Nash & the Bears in Hazemore, doing Megan’s song “Wait"

​Megan Nash and Bears in Hazenmore Team Up for Tour, Share New Track

(pre is a BLA B21a into a OVERSTAYER FET))

Old 13th October 2016
Deleted User
i swear, if this thread jacks up the price of 635a's...
Old 13th October 2016
Gear Maniac
Quote:
Originally Posted by redlanternpdx View Post
i swear, if this thread jacks up the price of 635a's...
People will just switch over to the PL5 and be silent.
Old 13th October 2016
Lives for gear

EV 635

50 years ago.
Attached Thumbnails
Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone?-635a1.jpg   Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone?-635a2.jpg  
Old 13th October 2016
Well - that's quite the letter
Old 14th October 2016
Lives for gear

That was fifty years ago.
We know better now.
Omni's for live use?
Forget it.
Two singers on one mic?
Forget it.
Singing at 90 degrees?
Forget it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKdknYaSHgE

Last edited by legato; 14th October 2016 at 11:36 AM..
Old 8th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by legato View Post
That was fifty years ago.
We know better now.
Omni's for live use?
Forget it.
Two singers on one mic?
Forget it.
Singing at 90 degrees?
Forget it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKdknYaSHgE

:D

Ah the 635a, still one of my favorite mics (and I love reading others adventures with it). Whenever I have a duet coming into the studio it's my go to, both singers on one mic. Here's one I did like that, 635a => ua610 => la2a https://open.spotify.com/track/1B7ib2zCW8jygsCYvLKpMF
Old 8th December 2016
also, though i love the 635a, I have never gotten along with the re15. always sounded so midrangey in a bad way to me. I wonder if I just have a bad one.
Old 8th December 2016
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardtoe View Post
Well - that's quite the letter
Old 9th December 2016
500 series nutjob

Quote:
Originally Posted by telecasterrok View Post
also, though i love the 635a, I have never gotten along with the re15. always sounded so midrangey in a bad way to me. I wonder if I just have a bad one.
I would say it probably was. No clue as to your room or what you tried it on, but I would not call these midrangey at all. these are killer pics IMHO.
Old 9th December 2016
Quote:
Originally Posted by pan60 View Post
I would say it probably was. No clue as to your room or what you tried it on, but I would not call these midrangey at all. these are killer pics IMHO.
tried acoustic guitar and vocals a few times. for example, in my room, in the same mic position an re20 sounds hifi, whil the 635a sounds lovely, but different. I should search out another re15/re16.
Old 9th December 2016
Here for the gear

got my 635 for 1 €
Old 9th December 2016
Lives for gear

I'll give you 2 euros.

That's a 100% profit right there.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search