The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone? Dynamic Microphones
Old 27th April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Well keeping in mind there are other folks on this thread who are REAL professionals...

My limited experience with the RE20 (actually more with the EV 666!), is just through nice prosumer pre's. It seemed that the RE20 is technically more detailed. I like either one, however, for Folk (think rootsy) based Country and down home Soul. The 635A BTW will "open" up more with a premium mic pre
(haven't tried the GAP), like a UA 710 or ISA One.

Chris
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear
could be the dbx that's adding in the spitty sound????
i certainly like that unit on guitars.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

This mic is great on percussion. Tamborine, maracas and virbroslap all thru a UA6176. Very nice.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Love my pair. I got them off an old sound engineer from Hollywood who was recording back in the 60s and bought them as his first mics. He was retiring and sold me the pair, with original boxes, manuals, clips and a DBX 163x compressor for 80!

I love them on drum over heads for an old school break beat vibe.
Old 6th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Certainly not! I listen to recordings made with the EV 635 every time I wish to fall a sleep and it works like a charm. Dull and muddy sounding. Perfect for making anybody sleepy.
ha! no microphone is that important.
Old 6th May 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

I finally figured it out then... Don & Phil really sang through a 635a for Little Susie!

It WASN'T the movie.

Chris
Old 6th May 2012
Gear Maniac

My favoritest talkback mic ever!
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassie12 View Post
My favoritest talkback mic ever!
If I had a microphone that talked back, I'd get rid of it, lol.

Yea, I have a bunch of EV 635A microphones that don't get used very much.

Dennis
Old 7th May 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post

This mic is great on percussion. Tamborine, maracas and virbroslap all thru a UA6176. Very nice.
+1 on that!
Funny how alot of times these instruments get recorded with LDCs...

...Then later (in the mix) it gets a HPF, LPF, and a string of plugins to tame the transients & whatnot...

...When simply using a 635a to start with'll get ya there from Square One.
Old 12th May 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
Certainly not! I listen to recordings made with the EV 635 every time I wish to fall a sleep and it works like a charm. Dull and muddy sounding. Perfect for making anybody sleepy.
There's something wrong with your 635A. Perhaps the screen is clogged with crud - it happens a lot on older mics - or possibly there's a deposit of crud on the diaphragm. Also I've run into some older EV mics in which the diaphragm has degraded and become stiff.

A 635A in good condition should be a very clean, flat, neutral sounding mic. They were designed for broadcast, you know.
Old 20th June 2012
Lives for gear

Just snagged a 635a/b for cheap. Figured I'd check it out, and resell it if I didn't like it....
Definitely won't be selling this one!
It brings out the mids without a sense of harshness. Prolly a great choice for amps. Sounds great with healthy distance from sources. Seems to handle transients nicely.
Maybe not a common tool at a pro studio, but project studios will get a nice cheap funky option with this thing.
Old 21st June 2012
Lives for gear

My second-removed-cousin-in-laws girlfriend's sister, is a singer and she needs the best mic in the world that will suit her voice.
Someone suggested she should try a modded Wollensak B-162-4, but she'd like a second opinion. Maybe an EV 635 would be a better choice?
Old 21st June 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

rocksure, "suit her voice" IMHO = try out a bunch of vocal mics.

One of the cool things about the 635a is it's so darn cheap and one "some" singers (like me) it's way up there with some uber$$ vocal mics.
Plus it can be useful for live studio/scratch vocals.

FWIW while a RCA 44 or C12/251 is the "10" in my fussy book, the 635a is a
9+.

Honestly would need a real pro AE to make a final call vs. most otherwise excellent vocal mics (ex. U87ai)

But again I fall into the "some singers" catagory YMMV.

It's always been fun for me to discuss vocal mics, but usually good rest and plenty of water can make more of a difference than lots of fine pointing mics!

Chris
Old 22nd June 2012
Lives for gear

I have quite a few EV 635A microphones, I just wish that I could get even half as enthusiastic about them as some of you, lol. As I said before, in my mind they are great for ENG work, for anything else they seem a bit lacking in their upper and particularly lower frequency response to sound really natural to my ears. But then again, I get basically the same vibe from the EV RE11.

Dennis
Old 23rd June 2012
Lives for gear
grabbed a pair of these about a month ago and loving em.

used on guitar and vocals so far. honestly can't believe how good they sound. no they are not clear and open like the more expensive mics in the collection but they have a sound that i like and are a LOT better to my ears than the sm57.

on close mic guitar they added in just the right amount of room sound and on vocals add just a little bit of dirt. am generally using them as a second mic blended into the main mic on the above sources.

i seem to prefer them through the ma-5 the most.
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Nut

So...

How much preamp gain does it need?

much less than the SM7?
Old 27th June 2012
about 1 million db or so
Old 27th June 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by rocksure View Post
My second-removed-cousin-in-laws girlfriend's sister, is a singer and she needs the best mic in the world that will suit her voice.
Someone suggested she should try a modded Wollensak B-162-4, but she'd like a second opinion. Maybe an EV 635 would be a better choice?
Wollensak is tough to beat!

but still, old EVs are cool FX mics and nice for guitar cab for jazzy vintage tone with smooth mids. I also like it a lot with tambourine for 60s tones.
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

I finally got my EV635b and I'm on the fence about it right now. I don't think I've really put it through its paces to deteremine how useful it will be to me. It sounds okay but so far I don't see anything too special about it. I'm only recording vocals btw. Does anyone know how much of a difference the preamp makes with these mics?
Old 27th June 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomini00 View Post
I finally got my EV635b and I'm on the fence about it right now. I don't think I've really put it through its paces to deteremine how useful it will be to me. It sounds okay but so far I don't see anything too special about it. I'm only recording vocals btw. Does anyone know how much of a difference the preamp makes with these mics?
The frequency response for this mic is 80hz-13k. It's an omni mic. It's just a cool option to have for a couple bucks. Try it on a guitar amp, or percussion. I don't think I'd ever use this for a lead vocal. Maybe a rare instance for effect.... Possibly a percussive acoustic guitar track that wants to sound a little different.
Old 28th June 2012
Lives for gear
the 2 i've got need a lot of gain so i can only assume that's normal for them. i tried a few different preamps and the ma-5 seemed to sound the nicest. i had the pre sitting up around 70db so it was maxed, had the onboard pad and the console pad taking off a few db's

i think the subtle distortion the mic produces gets treated well through the ma-5 circuits at high gain.

i agree that as a standalone vocal mic in most cases it's probably lacking depth and has some subtle distortion going on but mixed under a primary vocal mic i thought it worked really well.

on distorted guitars it's impressive. personally i would choose it over a 57 everytime.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdomini00 View Post
Old 28th June 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

FWIW 635a's were used occasionally at Motown for lead and BGV's.

They are reputed to meet/beat the usual expensive suspects over the years-sometimes. Bill Porter, for example, was said to like them on Elvis, and may have used them on an early RCA hit or two. (my guess is "I Want You I need You") Later on Elvis used the RE15 for his RCA studio vocals, which has a similar family sound. Like the RE20 for Stevie Wonder, these mics are A-1 for singers who move around while recording studio vocals.

As stated previously elsewhere, personally would have no qualms over using them for release level material on me. I'm biased towards UA-ish sort of tone,
so 635a>UA 610 (or 710) would be way cool.

They work well with generic decent (think VLZ3 or better) pre's, but choice of pre DOES make a big difference on them IMHO. One cheapie pre that works great for "funking" it up is the Bellari MP105 (even unmodded!).

Chris
Old 13th July 2012
Gear Head

main place I like the 635 is low as possible over a kit into a scully 280, with a v67g about 2 feet out from the kick, close to the floor. compress. killer drum sound, 80 bucks worth of mikes.
Old 8th August 2012
635A

Anyone know how to determine the age of a 635A?
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by allof6foot6 View Post
Anyone know how to determine the age of a 635A?
4 digit number on the label represents YearYear/WeekWeek

ie: 7745 would be the 45th week of 1977
Old 8th August 2012
How to determine age of EV635A

Thanks Micdaddy!
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Cool! I just checked mine, and it is 8246. So that is not a serial number, rather a lot number then.

Thanks!
-e

Out of curiosity, any way to date an RE20?
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by e3p0 View Post

Out of curiosity, any way to date an RE20?
On older models have a 3 digit date code on the XLR. Newer models are marked internally.

Sent from my Droid using Gearslutz App
Old 8th August 2012
Lives for gear

Thanks! Mine is in the "newer" category I guess.
-e
Old 8th August 2012
Gear Addict

I'm still on the prowl for one. I bidded on a couple of them on Ebay last week, but most of them were pretty beat up and I wasn't willing to go that high on them. A bud of mine on another forum says he thinks he might have one and will check when he gets home... hopefully I get to try one soon!

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search