The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone? Dynamic Microphones
Old 15th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_Case View Post
IMHO it is one of the most over-rated microphones on the planet. Dull and muddy in my experience. It was never designed for recording music and that's how it sounds. I guess one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

If you want cheap, stick with an SM57.
You mean soft & warm don't you.
Old 15th April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Just curious Frank, have you ever checked out some (of the tons of) live performances on Youtube where they used the 635A? IMHO many sound first rate.

A good friend uses either a U87ai (mostly) or (a current version) 414 for his vocals. He was VERY surprised how well that 'lil mic does on my voice when we compared vocal recordings-him on PT-me on Audacity!

It was right up there with the U87/414, although the U87 is a great fit on him.
(You'd have to EQ it more on me)

My "knowledge base" is tiny compared to folks on this thread like Bob O.,
but IMHO the 635a works particularly well on singers (like me) with a naturally mellow/bright sort of vocal tone.

Chris
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Have to agree. Hated the EV635a on vocals. The thing sounded as thin as paper.

Quote:
IMHO it is one of the most over-rated microphones on the planet. Dull and muddy in my experience. It was never designed for recording music and that's how it sounds. I guess one man's floor is another man's ceiling.

Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

My thoughts as well. Pretty mediocre sounding mic IMHO. Nothing special going on with it, especially when compared to an SM7b

Quote:
Originally Posted by turing View Post
it's funny - having read so many glowing reports on this mic i bought one on spec.
tried it in just about every capacity....amps, overheads, acoustics, vocals, rooms, and while it wasn't terrible, it never thrilled me.
i love dirty dynamics, and thought this was going to be my new favourite thing in the world. but after about 3 months of trying to convince myself i liked it, i gave up and sold it.
maybe it was too much of a middle-grounder. not as smooth as my ribbons, not as idiosyncratic as my pzm, not as airy as my condensor.
Old 15th April 2012
Lives for gear

Hm...maybe I should break out my 635a and give it another try?

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Other than "thickening" a 635a ala compression, can't you just add 3 to 6db
around 200Hz to even it out more? Or use something like a 1073/UA 610 sort of pre?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 15th April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Yep, FWIW when Michael Joly (high respect for BTW) used to post at GS,
two of his favorite dynamic vocal mics were the EV RE15 and 635a-over the SM7. But I like it (SM7) too-said with best "Irish Spring" voiceheh.

Chris
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:

my experience is pretty different. particularly on a guitar cabinet, the 635a gets a much clearer, detailed sound than a 57 ... which is actually more 'dull and muddy', especially up-close due to proximity effect (which is not present on the 635a).

I also find the lack of bass an asset, as I record on tape and tend to cut low frequencies on the way in ... I don't need to with the 635a.

Putting a 635a right up against the grill on a Twin Reverb pretty much translates the sound coming out of the amp. a 57 doesn't.
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear
well i joined the club today, probably paid too much but this thread made me do it. so you all are responsible!
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gouge View Post
well i joined the club today, probably paid too much but this thread made me do it. so you all are responsible!
I got mine for around $40-$50 ea ... fairly recently.
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnylang View Post
I got mine for around $40-$50 ea ... fairly recently.
Blasted, I paid $75 for one just last week. I dig the 635a for a room mic. Very nice on drums. I used the EV for room mic on bass and GTRs too during the same session. I haven't recorded vocals thru it yet, but when I 'sang' into it to test the mic out out it sounded pleasant and un-hyped in the lows and highs. Nice different flavor on the cheap! Me likey!!
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear
yeah i paid $75 also. i'm not so worried though, i've got a feeling this may become a favourite mic. there's been occasion with guitars where the m201 is just a little too bright and i'm keen for a vocal mic that i can shove through a dc20 delay so am going to try it mixed with a c414. plus might have some harp recording coming up down the track.

these videos sealed the deal for me.

1968 Sunn Sceptre Amplifier - YouTube
Tascam 424/Teac A-3340s Demo - "Pulaski Day" - YouTube
Old 16th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by s.d.finley View Post
Blasted, I paid $75 for one just last week. I dig the 635a for a room mic. Very nice on drums. I used the EV for room mic on bass and GTRs too during the same session. I haven't recorded vocals thru it yet, but when I 'sang' into it to test the mic out out it sounded pleasant and un-hyped in the lows and highs. Nice different flavor on the cheap! Me likey!!
since this is such a cool thread, I will let you guys in on a little secret ...

there is another mic that is the same mic as the EV 635a but with an on/off switch. it's an older silver model. mine sounds better than the later 635a I have, incidentally. It has the same name but the '5' is '1'. sorry to be cryptic, but I don't want it to come up via internet searches and spoil the fun!

in any case, I've bought a couple of these for super cheap in the past because no one knows what they are !

($75 really isn't bad for a great mic in the grand scheme of things)
Old 17th April 2012
Lives for gear

wow...I've gotta say...the 635 sounds pretty amazing on background vocals and harmonica. I believe I've found a terrific use for my 635A that's been laying around collecting dust. It's almost got a ribbon like quality to it on bright sources like a harmonica. I wasn't having much luck with my brighter condensers on my harmonica...way too much high end information.
Old 17th April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

FWIW besides the 635a...

Another "cheapie" vocal mic that turned out to be a winner on my voice is the (discontinued) neodymium based AKG D790.

It was exclusively sold by Guitar Center, so AKG could try to compete with the Shure Beta 58a.

The D790 has a moderate boost in the mid's/& presence peak (sorta like the 635a), and strong low end response-UNLIKE the 635a.
Would define the AKG's tone as more "modern" vs. the somewhat clouded/vintage toned 635a.

Can get similar results out of a Shure Beta 57a (vs. D790) with maybe a little de-essing,
but like saving a step.

Anyway, am suspecting other vocalists (like me) that fare well with the 635a
may also like trying the AKG D790.

Chris
Old 17th April 2012
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by donnylang View Post
since this is such a cool thread, I will let you guys in on a little secret ...

there is another mic that is the same mic as the EV 635a but with an on/off switch. it's an older silver model. mine sounds better than the later 635a I have, incidentally. It has the same name but the '5' is '1'. sorry to be cryptic, but I don't want it to come up via internet searches and spoil the fun!

in any case, I've bought a couple of these for super cheap in the past because no one knows what they are !

($75 really isn't bad for a great mic in the grand scheme of things)
Yep, I got that one too, and I really like it. BTW they have 100% similar specs so it is fair to say they are more or less "the same"

I personally don't dig SM57, apart from cabs perhaps. I get more mileage from EV mics and Beyerdynamic Soundstar Mk II. I can understand that if you don't like 635a, you would like SM57 more and vice versa, they are little bit opposites in my books.

I got both EV mystery mic and Soundstar mk2 for about 30 euros each, and here in Finland I consider those as good catches

But truth to be told, I value my RE15 lot more than "that" other EV.
Old 18th April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Those Beyer Soundstars (that look like a 58) definitely have an EQ'd SM7-ish vibe. 30 Euros is a killer deal! Usually they go for 150 to 200 or so.

Chris
Old 18th April 2012
Gear Maniac

I don't use it terribly often but I like my 635a. Usually I like it better than an SM57 on guitar cab (though not nearly as much as an SM7), and I've used it as a mono drum overhead and snare mic with great results for music that it worked with. I've used it on background vocals with a very vintage sounding project, and also used it for main vocals on two albums with a really great blues band, going through a pre just on the edge of breakup, and it needed no EQ. I don't think it's going to shine in an application where you want nice, subtle, delicate sound that something detailed like an LDC will give you, but you can't harp on a mic when you're expecting it to do every single job perfectly. Like many, many mics, the 635 is really great used in situations where it's appropriate.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by gavriloP View Post
Yep, I got that one too, and I really like it. BTW they have 100% similar specs so it is fair to say they are more or less "the same"

I personally don't dig SM57, apart from cabs perhaps. I get more mileage from EV mics and Beyerdynamic Soundstar Mk II. I can understand that if you don't like 635a, you would like SM57 more and vice versa, they are little bit opposites in my books.

I got both EV mystery mic and Soundstar mk2 for about 30 euros each, and here in Finland I consider those as good catches

But truth to be told, I value my RE15 lot more than "that" other EV.
Yeh, I figure the differences between my 635a and the 'other'/'1' model has more to do with the individual mics, not the model. the '1' looks cooler though.

I don't really find the 57s I've used to be much ... just kind of a vanilla sound, and not neutral. but the 545 is cool, which is pretty similar I think. Maybe the older 57s are better.

I keep looking for an RE15 but I'm not gonna pay $200+ for one ... doesn't seem right when there are a lot of other good mics for so much cheaper.

I just got a Shure SM53 which I like a lot. I also got a '60s model Sennheiser 421 which I did not like and sold.
Old 18th April 2012
Lives for gear

Just used a pair of these for vocals and backup vocals last night. They sound pretty cool if you can get over the fact that they're omni. Despite of that, they actually ended up working fine in a live-off-the-floor set.
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by iangomes View Post

They sound pretty cool if you can get over the fact that they're omni.
Actually, the fact that they ARE omnis can often come in quite handy.

...Fer instance, a 635a can be wedged into the space between four Octobans with foam. (Almost level with the rims, facing OUT!):
Since its an omni, it doesn't matter that it is actually facing the "wrong" way.
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear
Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Funny how I love the 635a BECAUSE of its middle-grounder (like that term!)
tendencies-instant 60's/70's Soul/Country/Folk vibe IMHO.

Even have mostly a (mid-rangy) middle-grounder voice!heh

BTW in condensors, the Blue Baby Bottle (greater detail) reminds me of the 635a. Guessing that vocalists should be equally home on either one, if either one's a fit.

Chris
this is a little off topic but check this out. more funk then the funky chicken

RBMA Radio - The Bamboos (Tru Thoughts, Melbourne) - RBMA World Tour 2011 - Melbourne - Live at The Forum Theatre
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12ax7 View Post
Actually, the fact that they ARE omnis can often come in quite handy.

...Fer instance, a 635a can be wedged into the space between four Octobans with foam.

Ha! People still use Octabans?!?!?
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Addict

My go to mic for weird placements...
Old 19th April 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by chout View Post
And I thought I'd seen it all...
Old 19th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
adds a subtle "analog" noise to the tracks - cools down the mix =P
Old 19th April 2012
Gear Addict

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but it makes an excellent holding and singing into/screaming into a mic mic. I've used it a few times for punk singers.
Old 20th April 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Sorry if it has been mentioned, but it makes an excellent holding and singing into/screaming into a mic mic. I've used it a few times for punk singers.
Noted!! Thanks
Old 26th April 2012
Lives for gear

I really like the tone of this mic the more I use it...but man, it sure is spitty sounding on vocals! Anyone notice that? Maybe I need to change my axis approach.
Old 26th April 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

FWIW I usually cut around 3-6(!) db around 6 KHz on my own "bright" voice to flatten out the response. Also will use a pop filter too.

IIRC EV has a foam piece for the 635a...

Chris
Old 27th April 2012
Lives for gear

Chess,

Thanks for the advice. I put on a foam windscreen and problem solved! Also, I've been running it through a GAP PRE73 into a DBX 163 Compressor. There's something about the character of this little mic that I like...maybe it's the vintage grit from this mic that works on vocals that require some attitude? It isn't what I would call a butter-smooth sound...more like butter with sand mixed in, if that makes sense? Heck, it sounds nice on the acoustic guitar as well! How would you compare the tone of this mic to the EV RE20?

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search