The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Is the EV 635 a "forgotten" vocal sleeper microphone? Dynamic Microphones
Old 18th February 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

A VINTAGE 635A just plain sounds better than the newer 635AI!

Oops, confused it with the U87heh. (j/k I really like the U87ai)

Been experimenting with a Joe Meek opto-compressor to assertively push out the mellow 635A. IMHO this sounded better this way as a "lead" vocal mic-on moi anyway. Or...just simply use a RE15-but it's fun to experment.

When I listen to classic Sam & Dave cuts, am impressed by how NOT
"in your face" they're recorded. This 635A>opto-compressor idea reminded me of this too.

For those like me in "low end", would think the Art Pro VLA is an excellent candidate also in tandem with the 635a.

Chris
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Textbook 635a vocal sound

Old 18th February 2012
Gear Maniac

it's funny - having read so many glowing reports on this mic i bought one on spec.
tried it in just about every capacity....amps, overheads, acoustics, vocals, rooms, and while it wasn't terrible, it never thrilled me.
i love dirty dynamics, and thought this was going to be my new favourite thing in the world. but after about 3 months of trying to convince myself i liked it, i gave up and sold it.
maybe it was too much of a middle-grounder. not as smooth as my ribbons, not as idiosyncratic as my pzm, not as airy as my condensor.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpgerard View Post
The 635a is a nice little mic but its lean bass should be kept in mind. I've often enjoyed it a lot as a heavily compressed room mic!
While we're on this topic, am I correct in assuming the bass roll off is created electronically by a simple filter circuit in the mike or did they tweak the capsule design somehow to reduce the low end response? If it's the former, seems like it could be modded to have a low end more like the RE55. Of course, for some applications, that would make the mike less useful.

Cheers,

Otto
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Unfortunately, the fixed low cut is in the element, there's nothing else in there...
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

The only electronic component in the 635a is the voice coil.

If you know a thing or two about damping you can get plenty of low end out of it.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

I'd rather make a record with a dozen 635A's than a dozen sm57's.

If you can't lose drum bleed in a scratch vocal mic, and the artist might insist on using the scratch vocal, the bleed in a 635A at least sounds far more natural than most directional mics.
Old 18th February 2012
Gear Head

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicDaddy View Post
If you know a thing or two about damping you can get plenty of low end out of it.

Please, elaborate on this.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turing View Post
it's funny - having read so many glowing reports on this mic i bought one on spec.
tried it in just about every capacity....amps, overheads, acoustics, vocals, rooms, and while it wasn't terrible, it never thrilled me.
i love dirty dynamics, and thought this was going to be my new favourite thing in the world. but after about 3 months of trying to convince myself i liked it, i gave up and sold it.
maybe it was too much of a middle-grounder. not as smooth as my ribbons, not as idiosyncratic as my pzm, not as airy as my condensor.
I think maybe you nailed it (or you just don't care for vintage sounds) ...

perhaps the people that like it (like myself) don't have a wide range of different mics. the 635a sounds like of dynamic, kind of ribbon-like, kind of condenser-like ...

also, it may work better with tape because of the extra highs and lack of bass ... I often don't have to EQ it like I do other mics.
Old 18th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by jose & ol gray View Post
Please, elaborate on this.
There's a felt washer behind the diaphragm, it's held in place with a white bone-like washer and that is held with a clamp spring which is glued to the alnico magnet. These are 'tuned' by pressing down on the spring prior to glue to set the proper damping with either a magnehelic (not in this case as the magnet is solid) or an Audio Precision and measuring the actual near field response of the element. Once 'tuned' properly, the glue is applied (do it enough times and you get a 'feel' for the proper damping without needing to test, and only testing afterwards to correlate touchy feely with science ).

A small careful application of isopropyl will soften the adhesive. Using a tweezer or dental pick, you can 'lift' under the white washer to allow less air resistance to the rear of the damping chamber.

It's a bit touchy feely, and you can really screw up a mic.
Old 18th February 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Other than "thickening" a 635a ala compression, can't you just add 3 to 6db
around 200Hz to even it out more? Or use something like a 1073/UA 610 sort of pre?

Thanks,
Chris
Old 19th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslik View Post
Bob have you any experience using the 630a on a snare?
Sorry I missed typed the original question?
Old 19th February 2012
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basslik View Post
Sorry I missed typed the original question?
I haven't although I played with a 636 in high school but didn't really know what I was doing.
Old 19th February 2012
Gear Addict

Thanks Bob, well I gave it a whirl last night and it seemed to work really well for getting the crack sound off the strainer, the exception is that I pointed it toward the side where the snare hole is and used a piece of Auralex to block out the surrounding leaking. I never really liked micing underneath personally, although I'm aware that's how it's traditionally done.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Part of what draws nubbies to the 635a is the linearity of an omni ! All directional mics phase and frequency responce varies so much off axis , an omni is the same no matter what direction you hit it from ! Over the years I have found not only in the studio, but also live how often that linearity is your best freind !
Also the 635a is a better hammer than a 57, the things are hard to kill.
Over the years I have found better interview mics, but have found all of the better interview mics to be useless for anything else!
Old 19th February 2012
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddageek View Post
Part of what draws nubbies to the 635a is the linearity of an omni ! All directional mics phase and frequency responce varies so much off axis , an omni is the same no matter what direction you hit it from ! Over the years I have found not only in the studio, but also live how often that linearity is your best freind !
Also the 635a is a better hammer than a 57, the things are hard to kill.
Over the years I have found better interview mics, but have found all of the better interview mics to be useless for anything else!
Thanks for the insight, I hear a big difference between the 57, and the 635a, I like it.
Old 19th February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by turing View Post
I'ts funny how after a few weeks the glitter falls off items we buy. I liked my manley Vari mu, but when the wife needed a new used car quick........bye bye off to ebay it goes GT.
Old 20th February 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Funny how I love the 635a BECAUSE of its middle-grounder (like that term!)
tendencies-instant 60's/70's Soul/Country/Folk vibe IMHO.

Even have mostly a (mid-rangy) middle-grounder voice!heh

BTW in condensors, the Blue Baby Bottle (greater detail) reminds me of the 635a. Guessing that vocalists should be equally home on either one, if either one's a fit.

Chris
Old 20th February 2012
Motown legend

I'd take a 635a and a number of other dynamics along with a real good mike preamp over many cheap condensers. There were cheap condensers back in the '60s too but you'll only hear about the very best mikes from that era today.
Old 21st February 2012
Gear Head

I guess since this thread has evolved into one about the 635a instead of the old 635 I'll chime in.

I bought a pair after I read somewhere that Mitch Easter used them on GTR cabs.

I wound up using them for drum overheads, gtr cabs, acoustic gtr and vocals. I especially liked using them on both gtr and vocals in the same song for a smoother top end/old school sound.
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

We can redirect it back into the 635 thread

Would any believe if I told you EV still makes the dynamic element?
Old 21st February 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Meant the "635A" when I originated this thread-almost TEN years ago.

But more than happy to learn more, thanks Bob O., MicDaddy, et al...

Chris
Old 21st February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by chessparov View Post
Meant the "635A" when I originated this thread-almost TEN years ago.

But more than happy to learn more, thanks Bob O., MicDaddy, et al...

Chris
Wow, so were you sitting there all this time thinking 'I could clear this up, just tell them I meant the 635a- but where would the fun be in that? I'll just sit back and keep them guessing for the next ten years. Dance little monkeys, dance.'
Old 21st February 2012
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Nah, it was only more proof that guys like me can have an "inner blond"heh too! (keep me away from that heavy SSL machinery!)

IIRC on my 2nd post way back, I also mess up with "535" instead of 635a-etc.

Chris
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

I was first introduced to the EV 635A around 1970. I have about five or six of them in my cabinet as I type this. I was never particularly fond of their sound quality, although I never saw one that didn't work. In 1974 we used the 635A microphone for our on the street reporters in television. I can't remember the last time I pulled a 635A for anything of a critical nature. If I need a quality omni microphone, I'll reach for an EV RE55.

Dennis
Old 22nd February 2012
Motown legend

A real problem with the EV mikes is that while you can indeed drive nails with lateral blows to the microphone, if it was ever dropped directly on its nose the response will be significantly damaged.
Old 22nd February 2012
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Olhsson View Post
A real problem with the EV mikes is that while you can indeed drive nails with lateral blows to the microphone, if it was ever dropped directly on its nose the response will be significantly damaged.
Have not found this to be the case, though anything is possible.

In fact I've physically dealt with thousands of mics that had been abused beyond expecting them to even be alive, and they were every bit as functional as the day they left the factory. On the other hand, I've seen plenty of mics in pristine condition that had problems beyond comprehension.

Specifically with the 635a, there is a metal hubcap resonator that is coupled to a snubber shock mount that envelopes the element. The 635a is truly a solid piece.

Now the EV 635n/d-B is another story... the process they use for a shallow draw to form the grille has been known to cause hydrogen embrittlement, which when dropped even only a small distance, the grilles shatter like glass. What do we get when we have a neodymium magnet structure + shards of metal grille?? Bad day for a happy diaphragm.
Old 28th February 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerbrain View Post
the only thing I use on a Leslie

Interesting, cheap way to get a (presumably) good sound. How you position them on the cabinet? I've been using e609's on the hi horns and a 57 on the lo, works well but my curiosity is piqued haha
Old 14th April 2012
Gear Maniac

I just bought a pair of vintage 635a's off of ebay and finally got to test them out. They both sound cool but the mic's sound different from one another. It's not a huge difference but one of them definitely has more top end and low-mids than the other one (which has a slightly dented grill).

I'm wondering if this is normally for mics in general, especially vintage mics or is there a chance one of them is slightly "damaged."

And, it is normal for bass to be non-existant on these mics, right?
Old 15th April 2012
Motown legend

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfunster View Post
...one of them definitely has more top end and low-mids than the other one (which has a slightly dented grill).
As I said, you could pound nails with them using lateral blows but the highs go away if you drop them on their nose.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search