The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Shure SM7b - Will Not Stay Put!
Old 11th June 2008
Gear Addict

Shure SM7b - Will Not Stay Put!

I'm having trouble with my SM7b . . . it wobbles when connected to my mic stand. I'm not talking about the side mounts - they're staying put - but the actual thread mount to a standard mic stand has give. Anyone else suffering from this?

Thanks,

dj
Old 11th June 2008
Check the thread adapter. Apparantly there are two kinds of 5/8 - 3/8 adapters: "flange" and "internal".

They look almost identical, but one works and the other doesn't (depending on your mic stand).

Sound On Sound Forum
Old 11th June 2008
Gear Addict

Thanks. So is this what I'll need?

Buy Quik-Lok Mic Stand Euro Thread Adapter online at Musician's Friend

dj
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

The thing wobbles because it swivels freely...someone jammed the swivley part with a twist-tie or something but I never tried it.

The mic was intended to hang from one of those spring-loaded booms like an office desk lamp has. You weren't supposed to make music with it.
Old 11th June 2008
Gear Addict

Oh, well um . . .

dj
Old 11th June 2008
Gear Guru

Make sure the lock nut on the mic stand is all the way down. The SM7 has to tighten so that the mic is clamped to the top lip of the stands threads.
Old 11th June 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sid Viscous View Post
Make sure the lock nut on the mic stand is all the way down. The SM7 has to tighten so that the mic is clamped to the top lip of the stands threads.
what he said, you can tighten it, you don't need anything extra

narco
Old 11th June 2008
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockrev View Post
Possibly... I can't say for sure, I just tried a few that were lying around, that came with other mics etc, and found one that fitted.

When I compared it to the one I had been using before, I saw there was a definite difference in physical size that I hadn't previously noticed.

The mic no longer wobbles.
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Addict

Hi, I recently purchased an SM7B and experienced the same problem. I've tried every possibility but it won't stay firm. I made sure I tightened the thing all the way down, but it still moving (and not just a bit). In the store they said there's nothing wrong with the mic, but gave no solution.
Any ideas?
Old 5th January 2012
Lives for gear
Yes especially on the vintage SM7s just take a black twisty wire tie and wrap it into the crack a couple of times. Once it jams itself in there it will work fine. And it's easy to remove should you need to versus tape or something. Not to mention its relatively invisible once it's seated in there.
Old 5th January 2012
Gear Addict

Mine is new. One would expect it to be compatible with either american or european standards, right? I mean, just like any of their other mics, or any other mic for that matter...

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search