The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
Samplitude 7.0 demo online!
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Samplitude 7.0 demo online!

Oh sweet momma!.....here it is.......the FIRST of the next generation,
.......complete delay compensation thru-out the signal path...groups, auxes, sends, the whole kaboodle!...... PT can now simply **** RIGHT OFF!

http://www.samplitude.de/de/v7_demo.htm

Old 20th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

LOL!!! grggt

Samplitude has done a lot of things better than PT for awhile before 7.0. Now, they've even beat them to delay compensation!

Yeah, **** you PT! Except I still gotta use it....
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Yeah, **** you PT, although I'd love to have it!
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Maniac

Ive never seen or used Samplitude but people seem to make such a big deal about it...what is so special?
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally posted by etherize
Ive never seen or used Samplitude but people seem to make such a big deal about it...what is so special?
Well it sounds good for one, that's one of the most important things for me.

Mark
Old 21st December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Also, editing is quite a bit more sophisticated than PT, and the included eq and compression is far superior. Also has a stellar multi-band comp. Many features that PT took forever to integrate or never did have been in Samp for a long time. Too much detail to go into, but you could compare software features from each co's respective websites and see what PT doesn't do.
Old 21st December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by mplancke
Well it sounds good for one, that's one of the most important things for me.

Mark
I completely agree with Mark 100%, Samplitude sounds better than anything on the market IMO, with Nuendo possibly being equal (seems to use the same type of math), but now that v 7.0 Samp is VST Native equipped there is no holding it back. Plus the fact that Samplitude has a realtime CD burn function (which Nuendo doesn't have. It seems trivial but it's not to me). I've been a Samp user since version 5.3 (?...it's been a while). It's also nice picking whatever software you want to use with whatever hardware without being forced to use proprietary interfaces and ADC.
Old 21st December 2002
What 96k Digital AES i/o is available for it?

Madi?

Controller?
Old 21st December 2002
Quote:

Originally posted by Jules

What 96k Digital AES i/o is available for it?

It's not a comprehesive system like Digidesign. The only PCI based multichannel AES i/o card currently on the market is the SEKD Prodif 88. 8 channels of AES i/o on one PCI card. I would personally go lightpipe and clock it off a stable clock (i.e. your Crane Song for example). There seems to be this notion that lightpipe has an inherently high jitter rate...from talking with a few people in the know, this is not necessarily true. From the information I have gathered, lightpipe is only as jittery as the clock that it is used with....good clock, less jitter. I use lightpipe clocked to a Mytek to transfer back and forth between my Tascam MX2424 and the computer, it is a very solid consistent sound. I was under the impression that jitter was only created in the A/D or D/A stages, but I'm not expert. RME makes a few 2 channel AES i/o cards also, and pretty much anything from RME is going to be a solution. I'm not necessarily talking about their ADC, but their digital solutions that aren't actually in the audio path. ADC is a whole subjective topic, intelligent interfacing is pretty cut and dry.

Quote:
Madi?

RME ADI-648: 64-Channel 24 Bit/96 kHz Multichannel Audio Digital Interface

Quote:
Controller?
Subjective....I've heard that people have good success with the MotorMix and the Mackie. I'm still using a mouse (grudge) in conjunction with a real console. The JL Cooper Mcs3800w looks really nice also (cosmetically and ergonomically).
Old 21st December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by NathanEldred
There seems to be this notion that lightpipe has an inherently high jitter rate...from talking with a few people in the know, this is not necessarily true. From the information I have gathered, lightpipe is only as jittery as the clock that it is used with....good clock, less jitter ... I was under the impression that jitter was only created in the A/D or D/A stages, but I'm not expert.
Bob Katz qualifies as an expert and all of the above is correct according to how I learned it from him.

Do not fear lightpipe.
Old 21st December 2002
Thanks for the info Nathan,

I have 16 i/o of 96k Prism Dream ADA - and 16 AES i/o cards.. for em as well

(Prism have or are also developing MADI i/o last I checked)

Two of the "SEKD Prodif 88. 8 channels of AES i/o on one PCI card" would do me... In what? A mac or a PC??

The JL Cooper seems a very poor swap for my ProControl though... Mackie Controller, does that work with Sampletude?

DAW Wars window shopping is fun!

Old 21st December 2002
OK - no it's not, I have a 16 meg file on my desktop marked

Samplitude7_Demo_E.exe

that I cant open

I downloaded it, what's the trick to open it on my mac?

Old 21st December 2002
Old 21st December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

If you can't make the Mac--->PC jump you're screwed before you start with this little battle in the DAW war.

Don't even start with Mac vs PC. By now, I think sound engineers should have learned to be capable at handling the OS's of either one. What it often comes down to is the OS, and that's a poor excuse for not learning to use another tool. It's about as difficult as adjusting to driving on the other side of the road in another country....
Old 21st December 2002
OK already! Just someone tell me how to open the damn thang! Or is the demo PC only?

heh
Old 21st December 2002
Jules,

Samplitude is unfortunately for PC only. Maybe in a future version it will be available for Mac.
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

Jules,

The Lynx cards have optional daughtercards that allow the use of up to 16 channels of AES I/O per PCI card. Gotta put those fine Prism converters to good use! I, David Seymour, am an equal opportunity Gearslut

www.lynxstudio.com
Old 21st December 2002
Gear Maniac

I just want to make sure I have this straight...when you say "sounds better" you mean when things are mixed together? or you mean if you recorded through the same converters on each system, samplitude would sound better? Now if it is the first I understand the deal with the whole mix buss thingy, if it is the second I am not sure I understand...if you haven't applied any effects (thus no floating point verse fixed point debates) how different could it sound? Well even if it does plenty of stuff has survived through protools so no biggie...

On a totally unrelated topic....word has it that Sound Fourge maybe selling its products to a 3rd party...what makes this interesting is I think samplitude is independent correct? as is Digital Performer...but seems like everything is getting gobbled up....wonder who's gonna end up with this one..
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Head

I use Samplitude (ver. 6) and can say without a doubt that it is a great program. It's been around forever and has always been well respected in it's circles. I guess the word is getting out. Samplitude is/was (?) owned by SEKD but are distributed by Magic, which I believe is a pretty big company.

Great program, very robust and powerful. Has a learning curve, like all programs, but overall pretty intuitive. I love it.

As far as sounding "better," it does. I can't explain it. All the science and math in the world doesn't keep me from saying it has a better sound quality. Every project I've done in Samp has a warmer (there goes that word again) more analog sound/feel to it. I was a nay sayer at first, but the ears don't lie.

Check out the demo. Looks like a lot of people are going to start finding out about this baby. I'm not sure how I feel about that
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Head

BTW...check out www.audioforums.com

they have a good Samplitude group going. Could always use some more traffic.
Old 24th December 2002
SEKD and Magix are basically the same company.
Old 24th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by lhaile

As far as sounding "better," it does. I can't explain it. All the science and math in the world doesn't keep me from saying it has a better sound quality. Every project I've done in Samp has a warmer (there goes that word again) more analog sound/feel to it. I was a nay sayer at first, but the ears don't lie.
I Agree!

The problem is, musicians are still asking "Do you have Pro Tools?" I do, and as phone calls and questions continue, I ask them if they would like to use something that sounds better than Pro Tools, and can do everything Pro Tools does (and some stuff it can't) - it's called 'Samplitude'. Incredibly, most of the time, they insist on using Pro Tools and reject the idea that anything sounds better or can do more!! "I've never heard of that. I want to use the standard." Ok.... fuuck

Still, I've been able to persuade clients by using the power of example. I've done real time digital transfers of songs recorded in PT over to Samplitude, patched in the same outboard, then setup PT as basically a big effects box full of plug ins feeding Samplitude optically. They still get to see all their favorite "plug-in names" while hearing the results of better track summing. Most musicians can hear the difference in the summing, but sometimes they still don't care. They want it to be all done in PT just because such and such did so on their album............. madd

I don't make the effort to port it over anymore if the first mention of using something else is met with the old PT brainwashing and obstinate stubbornness. I might do it behind their backs if I think the music is good enough!
Old 24th December 2002
Gear Maniac

"while hearing the results of better track summing."

Ok so you are just reffering to summing...
Old 24th December 2002
Jax
Lives for gear

I don't mean just the summing. If you do a search for Samplitude on GSz, you can read the other favorable comments others and myself have made about it.
Old 24th December 2002
Lives for gear

Dedicated Samp user here, been using 6.05 for quite a while...exactly 100% of the people who have listened to the differences here have prefered Samp...

Perhaps the coolest feature are the convolution reverbs....6.05 forced offline processing, but 7 allows realtime convolutions (!!!!) and the fact that the people who write the software are easily accessible...they actually solicit input from users and incorporate any changes/upgrades based upon what we ask them to do...

Highly recommended for any level of production.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search