The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
Some old stuff I got for free. Hmmm - what do you know about this stuff?
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

Some old stuff I got for free. Hmmm - what do you know about this stuff?

Got some audio gear for free today.
The most interesting piece is a Collins 212Z-1 "Remote Amplifier" - a 4-channel mixer. The spec sheet says it has 90dB of gain! I haven't tested it yet, but was told that it does power up.

Another interesting one is an EV 644 shotgun dynamic mic. I have a cable for it too, so the goofy connector won't be an issue.

Also got a little RCA BK-12A dynamic, and a mic that has lost it's nameplate, so I'll have to post a photo later.

I also got a 1962-vintage wireless mic set - a SONY CRT4 with mic, transmitter, and receiver.

It all smells of basement, but appears to be in decent condition. My main question is if any of this stuff is very useful these days - for example, if it would be worth re-capping the Collins mixer assuming that it is in less than ideal condition.

http://www.oldradio.com/archives/har...lins212Z-1.jpg
Electro-Voice Model 644
RCA BK-12A

The mystery mic has a face like this one, but the body is different - and plastic at the back end.
Electro-Voice Model 638

I just found another photo - I think it's an EV633 with the mount removed. There's just a pigtail coming out of it.
http://www.dirtydansmics.com/images/EV_633_w_switch.jpg
http://www.dirtydansmics.com/images/EV_633_switch.jpg
Old 10th June 2008

Had a 644 years ago and never did find anything that it was useful for other than being a great conversation piece.heh
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear
I have a 644 that gets a lot of use as a 'trashtone" sort of room mic.

I put it 15 feet from drum...up high aimed at the snare. Great for snotty room tone.

Or put it behind the drummer facing down at the snare up 15 feet.
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

I'll have to test the mics another day - no time right now. I plugged in the Collins remote amp. The test tone works, so the output side of the unit is OK, but the input side seems dead when tested with a known-good dynamic mic.

It isn't too big - if I can get it working it might be nice to use for novelty purposes.
Old 11th June 2008
Lives for gear

I'd spruce up the mixer/amp for sure.
'
Old 21st May 2013
Gear Nut

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search