The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Some questions about my Presonus Firepod... Audio Interfaces
Old 10th June 2008
Some questions about my Presonus Firepod...

I have been using a Firepod for a while, probably two years now. I was looking at the Presonus site and in the FAQ section it compares the FP10 (firepod) and Firestudio and the Firepod doesn't have JetPLL jitter control technology. Is this something I should be worried about and would it be a noticeable improvement to have an interface with JetPLL?

Also I'm thinking about changing to an interface that supports Protools M-Powered or Protools LE because I'd like to try it out. I'm currently a Cubase user, and I tried Reaper and liked it too, but I want to try Protools just to see which DAW software I like the most. Is the M-Audio Profire 2626 a worthy replacement for the Firepod?
Old 10th June 2008
Old 13th June 2008
Gear Addict

I JUST upgraded from a Firepod to a M-Audio Profire 2626, so I was in the exact same boat as you. Since I just set it up yesterday I haven't recorded anything yet, but so far I noticed a better D/A conversion on playback
Old 13th June 2008
Alright let me know, I'm very curious. Thanks!
Old 13th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingDiamond View Post
I have been using a Firepod for a while, probably two years now. I was looking at the Presonus site and in the FAQ section it compares the FP10 (firepod) and Firestudio and the Firepod doesn't have JetPLL jitter control technology. Is this something I should be worried about and would it be a noticeable improvement to have an interface with JetPLL?

Also I'm thinking about changing to an interface that supports Protools M-Powered or Protools LE because I'd like to try it out. I'm currently a Cubase user, and I tried Reaper and liked it too, but I want to try Protools just to see which DAW software I like the most. Is the M-Audio Profire 2626 a worthy replacement for the Firepod?
I added an Apogee Rosetta AD to my setup last year. It's just 2 channels of A to D conversion coming from the direct outs on the first two channels of the firepod.

I did a little A/B test at one point, comparing the same audio simultaneously recorded from the Firepod's conversion and the Rosetta's conversion. The Rosetta is definitely smoother. Not miles of difference, but things like reverb trails were longer & smoother. The Rosetta also becomes the clock by necessity and I think that has helped a bit too. You can get those things for $500 on ebay – definitely money well-spent.

The firepod works and isn't a bad unit, but you can do much better. It didn't cost $400 for nothing. If you can muster up the cash to replace it or to feed its SPDIF input with a better convertor, you'll notice a difference. You can make perfectly good music with the firepod, but it's far from the best sounding device out there. As soon as I can I'm going to get a couple good mic pres and only use the Firepod as a digital interface, cuz its mic pres ain't that special either.
Old 14th June 2008
Thanks for the reply.

I currently use a Presonus Eureka as a pre-amp for most of my recordings and I like it. I bypass all of the channelstrip features of the Eureka because I do all of that processing in the box. I just see a lot of people talking about A/D D/A converters on here all the time and it makes me think if that is a big issue for me or not. I think once I muster up enough money I will upgrade to something more high end.
Old 19th June 2008
Lives for gear

keep the firepod, it's a good unit with lot's of flexability you'll appreciate later, I'd get a nicer preamp and mic. The firepod is a great clean sounding a/d, what goes in is what comes out, so get a better sound going in. After tracking and mixing, get a descent hardware compressor, that will give you more juice and levelling if needed for the entire mix, plus an added piece to you're studio. I can't think of anything out there with 8 ins an outs that sound better than the presonus for under $3500. My mixes sound better than most guys i know because they track to hot, don't push the firepod, and your tracks will be fine. Hot mixes are going out of style anyway.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search