The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
O.K., so who are the gear reviewers you RESPECT?
Old 20th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

O.K., so who are the gear reviewers you RESPECT?

You may not agree with them on everything, however, who do you think does a good job of presenting balanced reports?

Chris
Old 20th December 2002
High End Moderator

Fletcher
Old 20th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Someone's got to pick the easy one!

How about "present company excluded", meaning to exclude moderators
here of the usual or guest persuasion? (since you're all GOOD)

Chris
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

NOT . . . . Dr. Fred "MASSIVE Ego" Bashour. (do I have his name right?)
I trust Richard Nixon's liver more then him.

I think they should make him review low end gear for a bit . . . see how long his ego stands it. Things like, 9 volt battery charger reviews or make him write articles on how to get duct tape glue off 1/4 guitar cables.

"Behringer ZZZ Orgasmogatski" reviewed by Dr. Fred Bashour
(I'm sure his MASSIVE ego would even get involved in that review as well)

"To test the Behringer ZZZ Orgasmogatski, I ran one of MY $7000 'Hypo Ultra Quad Ultra' chocolate flavored cables (made to my specs) into MY highly modified (JUST for me) $96,000 solid Platinum Manley mic pre / dog polisher into MY $75,000 highly modified (JUST for me) Italian marble and mink covered microphone with the Barbara Carrera upgrade. . . . . to record the Hoboken Symphony Orchestra with Zazu Pitts (soloists) . . . . . "

It would be impossible for this guy to own something under $40,000. I don't think his ego could stand it. What a show!
Old 20th December 2002

Aw Knox, be nice. Dr. Fred is a sweetheart. Just because has $$$$$ taste doesn't mean he has a massive ego or he is dishonest... He really loves great gear just like the rest of us. He is a total Gearslut! Whazz wrong wid dat?

(Although I agree with you it would be fun to see him to a 9v battery charger review...)
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by EveAnna Manley
Aw Knox, be nice. Dr. Fred is a sweetheart. Just because has $$$$$ taste doesn't mean he has a massive ego or he is dishonest... He really loves great gear just like the rest of us. He is a total Gearslut! Whazz wrong wid dat?

(Although I agree with you it would be fun to see him to a 9v battery charger review...)
You just like making him "highly modified" solid platinum dog polisher / mic pres
*smile*
Old 20th December 2002
SawSlut

Paul J. Stamler from Recording magazine. So far, he hasn't steered me in the wrong direction.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear maniac

None.

I may have missed it, but I've yet to see a professional
reviewer say bad things about product in the recording/
audio world. Even when they don't say much, you get
something like "you should listen to this for yourself".

I see this as a sign of the imaturity of the industry
as a mass market. The old pros don't need no stinking
reviews. The new folks need it, but don't see anything
but barely reworded press releases.

How many bad reviews of Shanghai mics can your remember?
How many authors said bad things about them before Scott
Dorsey wrote about fixing them in Recording?

The automotive market is a lot more mature, perhaps deadly
so, and still you have to read carefully. But you can tell when
Car and Driver hates a car or truck.

How about some comparisons? Maybe Shure KSM44
versus Neumann TLM103 in the "about $600"
range. Then I could compare a review against
my own biases and calibrate the reviewers.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear Guru

There was an unfavorable review in a recent Mix. I can't seem to find it here. I think it's in the issue that I have at the studio to steal diffuser ideas from pictures. I'll try to find it and post the product and reviewer.

Why is it that movies and music can have bad reviews, but not gear?!?
Old 20th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Drumsound
There was an unfavorable review in a recent Mix.
That was probably a piece by a manufacturer that didn't spend a lot of money on advertising with the magazine.
Old 20th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

Hugh Robjohns slammed (relatively speaking!) M-Audio for the Studiophile
monitors in SOS, Richardson at Prorec was down on a Marshall condenser,
and Rowan is pretty picky there too on a number of reviews.
I also think Mike Rivers is quite good at being pragmatic, and Tape Op's
reviews are better than a typical industry "rag".

Chris
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

I respect anyone that agrees with me that the Sony Oxford (and eq plug in) sucks. Most engineers (and a lot of great engineers) love it, but the one's that don't I seem to indentify with better.

Bobby Owsinski's stuck in the world of 5.1 now-a-days.

Honestly, the gear reviews I really pay attention to are from my peers and definately not Mix Magazine or Pro Audio Review.
Old 20th December 2002
member no 666

I think Barry Rudolph, Bobby Owsinski and even Ty Ford do a pretty reasonable job...... it's a tough gig if it's done properly.

The few reviews I've read by Craig Anderton seem to be pretty good as well.
Old 20th December 2002
SoundOnSound magazine UK

In particular George Shilling

But overall the reviewers are very good.

US mags seem best for 'gear news' only.. (and engineer / producer profiles & 'trends' of course)
Old 20th December 2002
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
the gear reviews I really pay attention to are from my peers and definately not Mix Magazine or Pro Audio Review.
ditto

Go easy on the reviewers though, it's a tough act to balance. Most of the time I can read between the lines. Those guys gotta earn a living too even if they are workin' for the man... I wonder if there's much payment in the form of complimentary gear???
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by mdbeh
Interesting. I'd heard really good things about the EQ plugin, and was thinking of picking it up. What don't you like about it? (If it's describable.)

Thanks,
bh
I spent 2 months on an Oxford, after comming off a very long stint with a Neve Capricorn, and hated the eq's with a passion. When the plug in's came out, it was no suprise that they looks cool, but sounded crappy to me. I don't wanna hi jack this thread so do a search of "Oxford" here, and I'm sure you'll see me talking about them. That being said, everyone here seems to like them, so perhaps you'll find them as useful tools as well.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear maniac

>Go easy on the reviewers though, it's a tough act to balance.

No way. Magazines are supposed to have no connection
between the editorial side (writing reviews) and the business
side that sells advertising. That conflict of interested
is taught in Journalism 101.

> Those guys gotta earn a living too even if they are workin'
>for the man...

don't think so. If I buy the magazine, or even read it after
qualifying, I expect some ethics. Lots of other industries
do it, but I'd not seen it in "pro audio"

>> I wonder if there's much payment in the form
>>of complimentary gear???

That is specifically unethical. But long term loans are
pretty common.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear addict

Quote:
Originally posted by fishtop_records
>"Magazines are supposed to have no connection
between the editorial side (writing reviews) and the business side that sells advertising. That conflict of interested is taught in Journalism 101."

- These are TRADE MAGAZINES not Journalism. Their job is to increase circulation so that they can sell more ads at a higher price -

"If I buy the magazine, or even read it after
qualifying, I expect some ethics. Lots of other industries do it, but I'd not seen it in "pro audio"

- You BUY Trade Mags? I've never paid for one in my life... don't be fooled into buying trade mags, they'll be happy to send them to you for free as long as you send in your card info every year. I pay for TapeOp, but that's different -

"That is specifically unethical. But long term loans are pretty common."

-Yeah it may be unethical, but it could be free gear, how big a slut are you willing to be?
yuktyy
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
ditto

Go easy on the reviewers though, it's a tough act to balance. Most of the time I can read between the lines. Those guys gotta earn a living too even if they are workin' for the man... I wonder if there's much payment in the form of complimentary gear???
I disagree . . . If they can't do it and be honest. They should find another way to make a living. Screw their advertising revenue versus reviews. Plus, if the companies make sucky ass gear . . they should be called out on it.
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Knox
I disagree . . . If they can't do it and be honest. They should find another way to make a living. Screw their advertising revenue versus reviews. Plus, if the companies make sucky ass gear . . they should be called out on it.
I agree, but that's what these forums have become. You can usually get a straight ansewr here. The trades are good for interviews and news of new products and generally fine bathroom reading, but the peer to peer reviews are the best kind. That and actual experience
Old 20th December 2002
Gear addict

Quote:
I disagree . . . If they can't do it and be honest.
I haven't read too many blatantly dishonest reviews in the rags I get, and in those mags (Mix, Audio Media, EQ, TapeOp) the reviewers will give you hints that they are not thrilled with certain applications or they'll rave about it's use on something really esoteric so you'll know that the gear has some serious limitations. To restate my original ditto of e-cue:

"the gear reviews I really pay attention to are from my peers and definately not Mix Magazine or Pro Audio Review."

I'm not gonna knock Ty Ford or Mike Rivers just 'cause they've got to put food on the table.

If you buy "sucky ass" gear based on a review then why blame the reviewer??? Take the piece back for a refund if you've fallen for a line...
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

It's funny how some reviewers forget that honesty builds the perception of integrity yielding greater readership. I think memory loss comes from above, or from accounting most of the time. To be an effective reviewer you need to report unfavorable results when they are discovered. Sure it hurts in the short term, but in the long term the REAL reviews of the reviewer will come in.

There is one or two US magazines that I wouldn't listen to any more than the ad fodder on the manufacturers websites. i've stopped reading them due to the lack of information. If this became all pervasive there would be no readers for the advertisers to worry about.
Old 20th December 2002
Gear maniac

>>These are TRADE MAGAZINES not Journalism

Some are trade magazines, others are what
are called "buff books". The usual definitions are
that "trade magazines" are "controlled distribution" meaning
free to qualified folks who spend lots of money on
stuff advertized. "Buff books" are for folks outside the
trade and interested in it. The subscriber nearly
always pays for buff books.

You are correct that most trade magazines do little
more than interview celebraties and reword
press releases.

But the buff books have to do some journalism
or they end up with zero credibility. So far, I've not
seen any real journalism, even when they charge :-)
Old 20th December 2002
Quote:
Originally posted by Jules
SoundOnSound magazine UK

In particular George Shilling

But overall the reviewers are very good.

US mags seem best for 'gear news' only..
Don't know enough about US mags to comment.
I agree with you about George Shilling as well.
I completely disagree with you about SOS though. They are one of the worst cases. They go out of their way to find something positive to say about everything. Great for manufacturers but I bought some expensive dogs after reading their reviews when I was first putting a studio together.
Now I'm wise to the deal.
Maybe you are too, so unconciously read between the lines.
Old 20th December 2002
Jr. Gear Slut 2nd class

One way to handle it may be to have different gear manufacturers
send them their stuff, and only the "good" (or better) gear gets reviewed. The rest then would be conspicuously absent, unless
directly asked about by the readership.

Chris
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Curious G
I'm not gonna knock Ty Ford or Mike Rivers just 'cause they've got to put food on the table.

If you buy "sucky ass" gear based on a review then why blame the reviewer??? Take the piece back for a refund if you've fallen for a line...
Of course I'm not going to knock anyone for putting food on their table . . . but I would knock them for not being honest. Hey look, I can rip off your studio to put food on my table, . . . is it right?

And as far as your comment about "taking something back" . . . I am not talking about how a good review on a "sucky" piece effects one person as much . . . my comment was, if a company gets a bad review globally . . . . maybe they will better their product.

Look at the US automobile market.
Old 21st December 2002
Gear maniac

Quote:
if a company gets a bad review globally . . . . maybe they will better their product. Look at the US automobile market.
Yes, and look at the 70s and 80s, the "buff books" were blunt
that the Japanese cars were better quality than the American
ones. The American cars are now a lot better.

The reviews had comparisons, and some of the compared
items were subjective, quality, and handling response.
And the reviewers wrote when products were lame.

As much as I love Jules, I think SOS is one of the worst offenders.
They love everything.
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by e-cue
I spent 2 months on an Oxford, after comming off a very long stint with a Neve Capricorn, and hated the eq's with a passion. When the plug in's came out, it was no suprise that they looks cool, but sounded crappy to me. I don't wanna hi jack this thread so do a search of "Oxford" here, and I'm sure you'll see me talking about them. That being said, everyone here seems to like them, so perhaps you'll find them as useful tools as well.
How did you like the Cap? was it a case of, " wow the cap sucked, and now the ox blows too", or " wow this thing sounds like ass next to the cap I have been using"?

Just curious, as I have been hit for actually having liked the capricorn...
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by chrisso
Don't know enough about US mags to comment.
I agree with you about George Shilling as well.
I completely disagree with you about SOS though. They are one of the worst cases. They go out of their way to find something positive to say about everything. Great for manufacturers but I bought some expensive dogs after reading their reviews when I was first putting a studio together.
Now I'm wise to the deal.
Maybe you are too, so unconciously read between the lines.
Well I get SOS, I used to find the reviews more relevant although I agree lately there has been this is great etc etc.

The international version outside UK has no advertising and is third thick as they make there money from Mag sales. So with no advertising what would stop them giving honest reviews.
Our local mag Audio Technology has become like the US mags just extra advertising info.. Sad really as years ago they were straight up, although 2 mag name changes ago.
I mean these cheap chinese LD mics are trying to sound like U87's so compare them with one and say the pitfalls then say but for $2.99 they are good for the money.

Yeah I find info on these forums as well. Just find a lot of stuff I cannot buy in OZ as they do not sell it here... Like Adams
Old 21st December 2002
Lives for gear
I don't know if he's done a lot lately, but I've always respected Myles Boison (spelling sorry). He seems honest and stays away from hype.

By the way chessparov, you were right the VMP-2 was discontinues. Really sucks.
Loading mentioned products ...
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get instant access to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search