The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
selling gear in this economic climate Digital Converters
Old 9th June 2008
Here for the gear

selling gear in this economic climate

I have some gear I was planning on to sell. Initially, a urei 1176LN (vintage), a Demeter tube mic-pre and a Moog Para Eq. I'm bringing them to a qualified audio engineer/repair guy to make sure they're in good working order before I sell them.

My question is: is this a good economic climate to sell that stuff? Or should I wait til things seem to be better? Or does that matter with relatively high-end stuff? I was planning on selling them on ebay (and probably alerting people here in the classifieds.)

THanks!
Old 10th June 2008
Jai guru deva om

The new and used market is great from what I can tell anyhow. Do some recent history searches on eBay also for specific used item values...or search this site!

War
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoinks7070 View Post
I have some gear I was planning on to sell. Initially, a urei 1176LN (vintage), a Demeter tube mic-pre and a Moog Para Eq. I'm bringing them to a qualified audio engineer/repair guy to make sure they're in good working order before I sell them.

My question is: is this a good economic climate to sell that stuff? Or should I wait til things seem to be better? Or does that matter with relatively high-end stuff? I was planning on selling them on ebay (and probably alerting people here in the classifieds.)

THanks!
Unless you are Bill Gates or Warren Buffet someone always has more money than us and is not hurt by the dips in the economy. I'd say there is always a perspective buyer in any market. It just may take a little longer to move a piece of gear but their is always someone looking for vintage gear.
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Guru

i have found sells to be slow, on ebay they are almost wanting you to give it away. i do think things will pickup, i know i have stopped buying for a bit, do not want to get in over my head in debt.
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

Somebody bought a used Apogee AD-16X for 2800 (on ebay) about what a new one cost me
Old 10th June 2008
Here for the gear

Thanks, guys. I guess I'll take my chances.

BTW--what happened to the classified section of the forum? I'm no longer seeing it in my browser....
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Addict

Things may be moving slower, but prices seem to be going up and up.

Where's all the good deals?
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by richiepalooza View Post
Things may be moving slower, but prices seem to be going up and up.

Where's all the good deals?
The "good" deals went away as the internet and eBone grew in popularity.
Ask those of us that were there then.
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbbubba View Post
The "good" deals went away as the internet and eBone grew in popularity.
Ask those of us that were there then.
Amen to that. Even CraigsList is a barren wasteland these days.
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

I find it's a great time to buy new. Sales must be really slow because dealers are falling all over themselves to offer more and more deals. Quality used gear still is fetching a great price. You can even sell it for more overseas since the dollar is so weak.
Old 10th June 2008
Lives for gear

Sell it before the economy really hits the skids. Gas will be $6.00 a gallon this time next year...
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Guru

I think it's still a good time to sell. I just saw some API lunchboxes listed (not vintage - fairly new) for a couple hundred MORE than I know I could buy them for brand new.....

Go figure that one out....
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Maniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by drBill View Post
I think it's still a good time to sell. I just saw some API lunchboxes listed (not vintage - fairly new) for a couple hundred MORE than I know I could buy them for brand new.....

Go figure that one out....
Yup. I continue to be amazed by how much people will overpay on ebay.
Old 10th June 2008
Deleted bd1be4f
Yeah, someone just paid $2k on ebay for an old Altec 436C that the seller disclosed had some issues. If that's not the height of insanity, then I don't know what is.

Conversely, some lower end stuff doesn't sell quite the way it did 1 or 2 years ago. So my feeling is that the demand is still there for vintage and high end stuff (even in a bubble some might say), but the mid and low end stuff has taken a dive off a cliff right now.

As far as finding bargains, they can still be found, but you have to constantly be on the lookout and be the first to snatch it. In the past year, I've gotten several great deals by buying in bulk from studios or engineers that were closing or getting out of the business, keeping the gear I wanted for myself and parting out the rest.
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethmeister View Post
Yup. I continue to be amazed by how much people will overpay on ebay.
Or right here on GS classifieds. If I'm paying as much as something costs new, that's a no brainer for me. Being able to have service, support, and the possibility to exchange if I don't like it is a benefit that I'm willing to pay for.
Old 10th June 2008
Like someone mentioned... it's gone boutique. People will pay scads for the best of the best... and a lot less for average sounding, workhorse equipment.
Old 10th June 2008
Gear Head

According to a recent New Yorker article Chevron's net profit is $57,000,000 a day.
Not everyone is affected by the "economy".
Even in the great depression people were making millions.
ASCAP payed out more last year than ever before.

Create your own economy, don't believe the hype.
Old 19th June 2008
Here for the gear

Any suggestions re: the minimum I should expect for a vintage urei 1176LN that works perfectly? (I just had it tested by a pro and it passed with flying colors, plus was calibrated, etc.) It's a Revision F (from 1973.)

I'm planning on putting it up on ebay next week.

Last edited by zoinks7070; 19th June 2008 at 11:57 PM.. Reason: typo

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search