The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
XLR Patchbay?
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear
XLR Patchbay?

Hi folks,

Just wondering is anyone using an XLR patchbay instead of the usual bantam. I'm hoping to do a complete control room overhaul next year (acoustics and wiring) and I'd love to hear of any patchbay hints/suggestions. I know the XLRs fit about 16 across in an 19" rack and about 3 rows per 4u. Obviously it's going to be over three times as big but I'm thinking of 'hiding' it in some sort of enclosure.
The only drawback that I'm aware of is that nothing can be normalled. I can live with that.
On the plus side, I reckon there will be less crackly connections and I may be able to add extra gear to it myself.

Cheers,

DW
Old 19th December 2002
Lives for gear

I've worked in a few studios with XLR patchbays, and I know the last one was fitted out by DACS, so it might be worth getting in touch with them to discuss your ideas.

Uhh - assuming you're in the UK!!

Sorry - I've just noticed your location. Probably still worth speaking to Douglas at DACS (0191 438 2500)
Old 20th December 2002
Lives for gear

xlr patchbay

My variation on XLR patchbays was to have a standard longframe jackfield up front, but then tie all the longframe jacks to XLR connectors on a panel on the rear rails. That way I can add gear into my patchbay system with simple mic cables. Very cool when a client shows up with several pieces of outboard gear that he wants to use throughout the sessions. All it takes is a couple of mic cables and his gear is instantly available on the studio's patchbay.

steve
[email protected]
📝 Reply

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
🖨️ Show Printable Version
✉️ Email this Page
🔍 Search thread
♾️ Similar Threads
🎙️ View mentioned gear