The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
how many of you good people been burned on ebay
Old 8th September 2004

how many of you good people been burned on ebay

I'm hearing more and more stories, I'm sure it works great, but these fradulent transactions worry me greatly. Sooo, who's been done?
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Only once (and 100s of positive experiences) for a $30 pedal.
Old 8th September 2004
Gear nut

yep, faulty gear
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Once for 20 bucks...but it was a Dutch auction, so a lot of people got hosed on that one.

Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Misery loves company. Sennheiser 421 DOA $125.00 I let the guy dick around past Scampals 30 day intervention deadline. He kept saying the right mic was on its way.

I also sold a sidecar console to a scumbag in Australia, who asked to use his own Fedex acct for shipping. I got a $500.00 bill from Fedex. It wasnt a billable acct. This crook requested 2 day air!!! He said he'd pay it for months, but than resorted to lying, saying the board didnt work anyway. Im done with Ebay.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

I got screwed out of a pair of Genelec's (1029's) for about $700.

I spent about two months filing fraud claims with no less than six agencies from federal, state, and local levels and they all told me, that I was- basically screwed.

The guy who "sold" them to me also rubbed it in by saying there was nothing i could do about it, and he also knew that there was really no *legal* recourse.

The final kicker was he filed Negative feedback agaisnt me saying i never paid!!

this was two years ago. He's still on Ebay to this day. I occasionally check in with his auctions and i see him "selling" everything from original Rolex watches to SSL 9k's
Old 8th September 2004

but like echorec suggested - these are the exceptions I suppose!!
Old 8th September 2004
Gear addict

I have had good luck with it.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Two times - once on a DAT machine that got lost in the mail (and the sender sent a fax of the customs form and he did at least fill it out, whether it got sent or not), and the other was an error by my bank when I did a money order. I got hosed by my bank for $280 because I did not have the money order back but the receiver couldn't cash it. Arg. Mostly good transactions, though.
Old 8th September 2004
One with big hooves

Quote:
Originally posted by ajcamlet
this was two years ago. He's still on Ebay to this day. I occasionally check in with his auctions and i see him "selling" everything from original Rolex watches to SSL 9k's
IMHO most people buying serious gear on Ebay should check their other auctions. If I see someone selling watches and SSL's it's a red flag for me.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Lost $1200 when someone paid for my triton LE with a stolen card. Their address was unconfirmed so paypal told me to piss off. I tried everything I could to get the money, or triton back, but finally gave up. grudge
Old 8th September 2004
Gear addict

I've had good luck overall, and I've even bought a number of vintage items.

In two cases I had some problems a while down the line with mics (one from Russia, and one from Germany). In both cases I contacted the seller - in one case the item was replaced, and in the other case I shipped it back and they had it repaired.

I did have one instance where a racked preamp had been mucked with by a dodgy tech, and it never seemed quite right. I've since had it fixed by a proper tech.

Sorry to hear about other peoples bad experiences, but overall I've been pretty happy with how things have gone....

knock on wood!
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Mostly good luck, but one time....

I sold this big DJ system for a friend of mine, and the winning bidder and I agreed on COD. Well, I accidentally did COD freight-collect, meaning he'd only have to pay the shipping cost upon delivery, NOT the whole total for the item.

So this guy is there, supposedly prepared to pay the $1200 COD, right? But you give some people an opportunity to do the wrong thing and they'll take it every time. This bum seized the day!

So he ends up giving the UPS guy the $200 or whatever for the shipping, takes the goods, and....long story short...I chased him down but it took about 2 months to get the money and it came in in dribs and drabs.

Meanwhile my friend thought I was cheating him!

Nice, huh?
Old 8th September 2004
Gear maniac

Only once; some SOB sold me some TT patch cables -- I was expecting regular cables, these were the double connector type.
Old 8th September 2004
Gear nut

gotta check the feedback...

Check the feedback.

If the person has 6 positive feedbacks - look at them - if they're all as a BUYER and not a SELLER, don't purchase gear from this person at ANY cost. Seriously, don't.

Pay the higher price from a seller with a real reputation. The feedback system doesn't lie; you just have to know how to read it.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

The fault on my screwing rests somewhere between the seller and Fedex.

I got screwed on a DAT recorder once. I paid for it and it arrived broken. . . The pictures from before were pretty good: a few scratches but in good condition. When it arrived, it looked like it had been dropped from about 10 feet. All of the glass had broken in the display.

The "insurance" didn't cover it and the seller wouldn't respond. I sent it to the seller for some sort of recourse. . . and never heard from him again.

So I was out $400 bucks and a DAT recorder.

Anyone remember Digibid?
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

I've been burned once, and that was back when ebay was a bit safer. I won't buy anything now unless the seller is local, or known to me.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

I've had relatively good luck trading on eBay (id tryptic) the last five years or so. Bought numerous big ticket items, and sold a few of my own. Here are my rules for secure buying, maybe this will be helpful to others. The bottom line is that patience and communication are key.

Authenticating the Seller

1) If the seller doesn't have 96% or better feedback rating, pass. Some people demand 100% and that's cool but I also realize it's hard to maintain a perfect selling record due to the occasional wack job.

2) If the seller doesn't list their specific location (i.e. Seattle WA vs. DealCityUSA), then pass unless everything else looks perfect.

3) If the seller doesn't have recent feedback on similar items, that's a red flag. I ask myself these questions.

- What else do they sell? Are the dollar amounts significant?
- Are they using their own pictures, and do the backgrounds seem to match from auction to auction (i.e. does it look like the pics come from the same place).?
- how long has it been since the last transaction? Sometimes this is a clue to a hijacked account.

Special Section: Hijacked accounts

Established eBayers who don't do a whole lot of volume sometimes get their credentials phished, i.e. they receive what looks like an official e-mail from eBay telling them to re-input their passwords. They follow what looks like a legitimate link from the e-mail but it secretly has another website linked to collect the data.

Hijackers then use this data to change the account to their e-mail & address, in effect "hijacking" the account. For the first 30 days there is an icon next to their id that indicates a recently changed e-mail address. However after that period it becomes difficult to distinguish that it's not the original owner any more.

The hijacker will then typically do a few trades on low-dollar items to build recent positive feedback, in effect "capping" the hijacking and making it appear by all accounts that nothing is wrong.

Protect yourself: never ever give your passwords or information to anybody for any reason, it's never legitimate in any case.

If the Seller has not had a transaction for a long time (check their feedback for the item #'s & dates), and they're suddenly selling a bunch of big ticket items, that's a red flag. Time to start Communicating.

4) Communicate with the seller early, often.

Probably the most important aspect, don't make a blind leap of faith. Send the Seller a question that requires a detailed answer, then judge the response.

You send, "Hi what is the serial number on that compressor, and are you the original owner? How long have you had it, and do you still have the packaging, manuals, etc.?"

Answer 1: (avoid this seller)

Yo baby this comp is PHAT straight up it's da hizzy... slap dis on yo tracks and get ready for the BAM LIGHTS OUT BABY!!!

-Werd.

Answer 2: (increases buyer confidence)

Yes thanks for asking the Comp is the early blackface model ser no 5334871 I bought it new from blah blah blah etc etc etc.

- John Smith
Contact Info

But most of all keep copies of all your communications, and absolutely maintain a polite and business like personality. No matter what... don't flame, bifurcate, threaten, or otherwise rant in e-mail to sellers. It completely subverts your credibility should anything go wrong.

5) Check the Seller's "Feedback left for Others". Often overlooked, this tells you if the Seller is prompt and courteous about providing feedback to their buyers. If the Seller has 200+ feedbacks and has left 4 feedbacks, that's a clue that they're not that checked into the process. Not a huge point but something I look for.

Authenticating the Item

1) Research the item to the best of your ability before bidding. Look for prior auctions of the same item, current auctions, and formulate your bid amount from that. If that information isn't available, hit Google. Search the forums. Unless it's really obscure I usually find what I need to know.

2) Check to see that the Seller has actual photos of the actual items. Stock photos are a red flag. Yeah I know not everyone has a digital camera but if you want me to bid you need this. I rarely bid on an auction with stock photos unless all other aspects of the Seller are stellar.

3) Communicate with the seller about the item before bidding. See if this is someone you want to do business with. I really need a good vibe before I feel confident.

4) Verify the item with the manufacturer whenever possible to corroborate the seller's story. See the Manley sticky thread for more info on that.

- If all that checks out then on to -

Bidding

1) I only bid once. No matter what. The highest I'm willing to pay. Then, walk away.... don't obsessively track the bidding, don't get sucked into a "competitive" frame of mind. It's not a contest. If this item is sold to another person, another item will come along just like it later. Trust me, it always does.

2) Bid a dollar more than the natural even increment. Lots of times snipers don't take that into account.

Payment & Shipping

1) If you use Paypal, only deal with Verfied Paypal Member using a Confirmed shipping address. Always defer Paypal to use your credit card as opposed to paying directly from your bank account. Also, if possible, don't give Paypal your main checking account as the linked account, open a seperate bank account just for on-line trading.

2) If the Seller requests Bank Check, Money Order, or Wire Xfer get the FULL contact info on the seller including street address, phone, etc.. Send the payment using a verified tracking service ala UPS, Federal express with signature required.

3) Ask the Seller to e-mail you confirming receipt of the payment, and again when they've shipped the item and have a tracking number.

4) Whenever possible require shipment using a verifiable tracked service, ala UPS Federal Express etc.. Know where your item is in transit.

- - -

Good luck and be safe out there.
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Yo baby this comp is PHAT straight up it's da hizzy... slap dis on yo tracks and get ready for the BAM LIGHTS OUT BABY!!!
Is this an example of racial profiling?

Old 8th September 2004
Gear Head

I bought an Apogee Rosetta 800 for $2500!! After 2 months he said he wasnt able to get it and so he would refund my money. Its now been 4 months since the end of auction and I have only seen $500. Ebay has done nothing about this after filing out a report.

AKG C451 mic $300 with intermittent probs finally sent it to AKG and got it fixed for $75.

Allison Research Gain brains..a pack of 4 with power supply $400..The sound is distorted . :(

Seems about 75% things are cool though..

--james
Old 8th September 2004

thanks all for your replies so far and and thanks muchly for that detail heinz
Old 8th September 2004
Gear interested

Got burned about 4 years ago trying to buy a Godin Guitar. What I learned? I would never buy from an international seller. I would only buy from auctioners in the US, where I can get on a plane a bit the living Shait out of the bastard if I get robbed .

The rest of the time, great transactions....
Old 8th September 2004
Gear nut

It's not music equipment, but I bought a 1963 Lincoln Continental Convertible that was sold to me as a ground up restored car for $21,100.00
The car was a rust bucket. No one seems to want to help in the matter either. They also forged my name on the bill of sale and on the title transfer. Still nothing. They are still on ebay selling away. private bidding of course provided by ebay. Are they trying to help the crooks or what? By the way it was my first ebay transaction ever. I left them negative feedback, and they inturn left negative feedback for me. Which ebay will not remove even though I am the one who was frauded.
Old 9th September 2004
Gear Maniac

I'm trying to track down a seller named Dave Gallagher. I money ordered him $275 for a Tascam 564 recorder from him 6 months ago and haven't received it yet. In his last email (over a month ago) he stated that the recorder was broken, I requested a refund and I'm still waiting. I believe he moved from PA to Phoenix Az. Eventually I will catch up with him. I'm thinking about taking a trip to Arizona within the next 6 months or so. There are two things I protect that are near and dear to me, my family and my money. And I never forget.
Old 9th September 2004
Lives for gear
This is a toss up. I have gotten some excpeptional deals and some mis-represented items. The misrepreseneted items were both reverbs that were not in the best of conditions. They were touted as being in excellent condition.

The exceptional deals were two C12B's with ck12 capsules, SONY C37A, lots of heavy duty stands, a PCM80 in perfect shape.
Old 9th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by StoneinaPond

It sho iz!!!!
Old 9th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by alba359
I'm trying to track down a seller named Dave Gallagher. I money ordered him $275 for a Tascam 564 recorder from him 6 months ago and haven't received it yet. In his last email (over a month ago) he stated that the recorder was broken, I requested a refund and I'm still waiting. I believe he moved from PA to Phoenix Az. Eventually I will catch up with him. I'm thinking about taking a trip to Arizona within the next 6 months or so. There are two things I protect that are near and dear to me, my family and my money. And I never forget.

Im here in Phoenix. I can send over one of the hip hop groups I record. They are interesting individuals. They can be quite persuasive (I grew up with these gents, the only reason I work with them). Let me know. Now if only I could find some persuasive types in Australia to help me recoupe my $500!
Old 9th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by StoneinaPond

Are you still beating your wife?
Old 9th September 2004
Lives for gear

In my experience, EBay has been safer than buying from online bulletin boards (especially www.sonicstate.com, dodgy place!), online retailers, and even some local (Vancouver, B.C.) shops.

I am very careful at all places, and I've been burned for $80 on EBay out of roughly 30 transactions. I've been burned much much more at other places.

Incidentally my favourite in-store burnjob: ordered 4 custom snakes from Long + McQuade. They gave me a price and I paid a deposit. When the snakes arrived they called me down to the store to tell me: "Oops, Mr. Tienhaara, we didn't give you the right price. It's $600 more than what we quoted you."
Old 9th September 2004
Gear Guru

My ex girlfriend got burned bad in a Dutch Auction for a bunch of new Mac laptops.

the guy actually mailed out phone books to some of the "winning" bidders so that they would not scream for a couple more days while he collected the dough from the rest. People thought the laptops were on the way because they had the tracking number of a package of about the right weight.

20/20 hindsight: the guy had a bunch of positive feedback but it was all for little crap like used video game cartridges and it was all accumulated in a fairly short (3 month) period before the laptop auction. Look for a long time seller and check to make sure that he hasn't suddenly gone from Garage Sale to Electronics Superstore overnight.

The police got involved but even though there was an address (not a PO box) they were unable to catch the guy.

My ex ended up with bupkas. She didn't even get the phone book.
New Reply Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook  Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter  Submit Thread to LinkedIn LinkedIn  Submit Thread to Google+ Google+  Submit Thread to Reddit Reddit 

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search