The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 Search This Thread  Search This Forum  Search Reviews  Search Gear Database  Search Gear for sale  Search Gearslutz Go Advanced
Mixing Terms i.e. scooping mids, etc.
Old 7th September 2004
Here for the gear

Mixing Terms i.e. scooping mids, etc.

I have been fooling around with some mixing recently, just trying to get some of my songs to sound a bit better. Unfortunately, I am using Cool Edit Pro because it's hard to afford the right gear at the moment.

I have run into some terms that I don't quite get, mostly regarding Def Leppard background vocals and Shania Twain background stuff. I really like the sound of them, and I can write the harmony bits out pretty good. Here are some of the terms that are used that I don't get.

1. What is "scooping out the mids" exactly? I have read things only for guitar regarding this method. Basically it says to turn up the volume on the low and hi and turn down the mid, but then the vocals get all muddy sounding.

2. "Rolling off the lows" is another one. Can't find anything showing how to do this yet either.

3. I read Mike Shipley saying he EQ'd the heck out of some of the bounces, but there are so many EQ options in Cool Edit I have no idea where to start, let alone find a way to get the frequencies to show and such.

Basically to sum it up, I would like to get a similiar "Mutt" sound for the BG Vocals, but perhaps if anyone can, put it in more laymens terms. I am pretty new to this stuff.

Thanks alot,

-Eric
Old 7th September 2004
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

I'm glad you brought this up because I have a question that's kind of related but may help you too. I mostly use Pro Tools to track but recently I've been importing my mixes into Cool Edit Pro and using the analyze frequency tool to look the frequency breakdowns of my songs. For the most part I've got too much low end and not enough highs. Some areas have little troughs and some have peaks. Any ideas about this method of looking at mixes? Should all the frequencies be balanced?
Old 7th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by wallace
Should all the frequencies be balanced?
if you mean balance as in all the freq's should be peaking at the same height at the same time...NO
Old 8th September 2004
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally posted by Teacher
if you mean balance as in all the freq's should be peaking at the same height at the same time...NO
no, the analyze frequency tool looks at whole song and gives you the breakdown of total frequencies used (not time based). I suppose you could look at smaller sections as well. I looked at a mastered song vs a not mastered one and the freqency curve was flatter for the mastered.

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search