The No.1 Website for Pro Audio
 All  This Thread  Reviews  Gear Database  Gear for sale     Latest  Trending
URS Channel Strip Pro.. good after the first hype?
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

URS Channel Strip Pro.. good after the first hype?

Hi,

I'm looking for a good eq and comp to add something better to my stock Logic 8 plugins.

I'd love to buy the Sonnox Bundle or the Waves SSL/API but as they don't offer student discount, these pluins are just to expensive for me. So i think about buying the URS CSP.

Now i'd like to know from the users of this Plugin if you use it often and if you still like it or if you prefer something different? Maybe Sonalksis? Waves Musician II (Ren Comp/EQ)?

Would the CSP be a good "first" EQ/Comp Plugin?

I already tried the Stillwell plugins which i like for the money they cost. Maybe i'll add some of these later..

I'm looking for a native solution!

Thank you for your time! thumbsup
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Very good plug in. Also very deep. With something like the SSL bundle or API bundle you can quickly jump in and mix straight away. The URS by its flexibility takes a little longer to understand and get familiar with all the settings, but it is well worth it.
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

It's good. I still like the EQs better than the comps, and I feel saturation should have been included in this plug, instead of being sold separately. However, I don't use it nearly as much as I use my standalone URS EQs. Why?

1) Uninspiring GUI. Is that shallow? Perhaps. It has nothing to do with sound. But still.... it somehow makes a difference in how often I initiate the plugin.

2) I like how limited the standalone EQs are. I put on the A or N series and say "yes" and move on, or I pull them up and say "no. that's not doing it" and try something else.

3) Sometimes I just need an eq. There's no need to use up all that DSP if I don't have to.

Your process may vary. If you find thousands of choices in the same package to be inspiring, rather than limiting, you'll probably love it. Either way, it sounds great. It's among the better tools that digital has to offer.
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by FossilTooth View Post
However, I don't use it nearly as much as I use my standalone URS EQs.
That's what i read often.. People like it but seem to use other plugins more often.. What would be your native alternative? Especially if you like the comp less?
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Stillwell Plugins, never heard of em you learn something new here everyday heh

Carry on
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Stillwell Audio - It's About The Sound

they are about 50$ a plug and i really like these:
- 1973 (1073 EQ)
- Major Tom (DBX160 Comp)
- Event Horizon (Limiter)

Checking the demos out it quite easy so you should have a look at it! I think they are really nice for the money!
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Yeah, i'll be giving them a go
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

I'd be glad if you could tell me what you think about them!

I also really like the GUI and the design!
Old 27th May 2008
Deleted 99dc753
I was very pleased to demo the stillwell plugs.
Even the reverb is not bad at all.

I wish they would have an EQ bundle Neve and API stuff like around 300$
I know that Waves and UAD are making good stuff and I use them too.

But I would love to support more younger people which do things with much love and do not like to charge the world for it.

I hate Waves WUP.

So Stillwell go ahed and make some EQs you first one is not bad......
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon View Post
I'd be glad if you could tell me what you think about them!

I also really like the GUI and the design!
No problems, once i give them a go i'll post on this thread .....they look interesting .
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

I thought the stillwell plugs were rubbish Sorry...

Just think you might do better to save that money towards something better.

Give Voxengo a go - Gliss EQ and Crunchessor v2 for example. They aren't that much more than the Stillwell stuff and they dfegadall over them IMO...

In fact I think Crunchessor 2 is on intro offer - £20!!

EDIT: Whoops - you're on a Mac. I think the new Voxengo stuff will be okay, but not the old ones. Sorry!
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

I'm still on the fence about my Channel Pro, just because it is so large and complex. For my purposes I don't really need that many subtle compressor options.

I will say this, though, the EQ makes Logic's EQ sound like garbage--very harsh and tinny. The URS EQ is rich and warm and full in comparison.

[[Note: I should mention that in general I think Logic's plug ins are fairly strong-especially for what you pay for them (nothing). The comment is meant more as how good the URS sounds than how bad the Logic EQ sounds. I also don't think that Logic's EQ is quite on par with their new compressor, some of their delays and some other very strong plugs.]
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Is there meanwhile a quite complete list of which CSP-Setting emulates which piece of hardware or is everybody still guessing around?
Old 27th May 2008
Gear Addict

Almost everybody loves the Sonalksis compressor. With a 50% student discount, it's a great buy. Their EQ is good, pretty similar to Sonnox in my experience. I think they don't have much character of their own, so they are very different from URS EQs.

I've heard Logic 8 has pretty good plug-ins, so you may want to get something you can't achieve with them, eg. vintage emulations.
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

i like logic's compressor - it's a great utility eq side chain ducking snare out of overheads and ducking the bass at each kick - it's got very fast attack and release times which is awesome
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

URS CSP is good but not the best. The input stage emulator is weak, but that's not what you asked about. Isn't the CSP more than Sonnox Oxford EQ and comp together?

I liked the Sonalksis EQ when I used it a while back. Haven't used the compressor (except for the TBK3 which is FUN!).
Old 27th May 2008
Gear Nut

URS CSP still rocks

I purchased the URS CSP about two months ago and I love it. I took a recent set of mixes for a CD and am in the process of ripping out all of the Waves plugs and replacing them with URS. It is a huge improvement. The CD is gonna need a second production run and I am so happy to get the chance to put the URS mixes on it instead.

If you decide to just buy individual plugs, the A series EQ and 1975 comp are the best from URS. If you don't mind the complexity, I think the CSP is pretty amazing. I agree, the EQ is more inspiring than the Comp, but the Comp emulations in it are still pretty darn good. I also happen to really like the input stage emulator, there are a lot of flavors there (Stiff, maybe you could tell us more about what you don't like about it, if there's something else out there you prefer for that task?).

I happen to also like the Sonalksis EQ and Sonnox EQ, but they are much more in the clean and clear camp, whereas the URS emulations focus on a lot of character and color.

Cheers..
Jaguar
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Thank you everybody for you comments!

Keep 'em coming!
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Still my favorite. I use it on pretty much every channel. I love the input section. I don't care if it doesn't saturate, it usually gets me 50% closer to the tone I'm looking for before I touch the eq section. That makes mixing SOOOO much faster for me.

The eq isn't always right, there are maybe a few times I need a different eq for something that needs more point. The CSP eq (all of them) are quite warm and not grabby. Other than that, no complaints. LOVE the compressor, easily as much as the eq. There isn't another mac native compressor thats as fun to use.
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

It rocks. I for one, love the compressor. Sounds very vintage...
Old 27th May 2008
I love the stillwell plugs
you know what they say, one mans rubbish.....

I sold the Urs a&n , they just time and again
did nothing for me.
Stillwell's eq's are very smooth to my ears
good choice of freqs , I have not heard
software eq's that warrant any more $$
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by mahasandi View Post
I love the stillwell plugs
you know what they say, one mans rubbish.....

I sold the Urs a&n , they just time and again
did nothing for me.
Stillwell's eq's are very smooth to my ears
good choice of freqs , I have not heard
software eq's that warrant any more $$
Was that compared to the new versions of the URS mix plugs, or the old ones? Just curious.
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
"URS Channel Strip Pro.. good after the first hype? "
Well, yes and no.

I was just having this conversation earlier today with a vendor.

When something comes out here on Gearslutz, we rally around it, hype it, scrutinize it and then two things happen, it becomes part of Gear Slutz Golden legenends or we trash it into the ground...

...ok I digress.

After the hype has settled and everyone gets over the "what is it or is it not correctly or incorrectly emulating" & just puts it through its paces as an incredibly versitile (if not "the most versitile") channel strip plug-in on the market. You will find it to be an incredibly usefull mixing tool.

Along with my UAD Neve plug-ins and only a small handfull of others, it is a plug-in I reach for easily and often in my sessions.

XJ
Old 27th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by xj32 View Post

When something comes out here on Gearslutz, we rally around it, hype it, scrutinize it and then two things happen, it becomes part of Gear Slutz Golden legenends or we trash it into the ground...

XJ
This was one of the most honest statements in the whole forum...
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

CSP is a great plug. It really improved my mixes dramatically (over the stock Logic 7 plugs). It goes for $500 now. I think that makes it a fantastic deal for us native folk. (especially since Massey dumped the AU project. I'm still lamenting.)
Old 28th May 2008
Deleted 99dc753
Quote:
Originally Posted by macleodgrant View Post
i like logic's compressor - it's a great utility eq side chain ducking snare out of overheads and ducking the bass at each kick - it's got very fast attack and release times which is awesome

right man overseen by many users the logic internal compressors are not bad.
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Massey? AU
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear
it took me a while to get comfortable with the interface, so i was always reluctant to use it. But i'm using it a lot now. I haven't bought it yet, but i keep renting it every month. I love the rent-to-own business model. I found an article online that came to an educated guess at the models, and it sounds right to my ears:
1951 Program EQ - Tube = Pultec
1967 Console EQ - American 4-Band = API
1970 Console EQ - British 3-band Class A = Neve 1073
1972 Console EQ - British 4-band Class A/B = Neve 1081
1980 Console EQ - British 4-Band = SSL 4000E

Extremely versatile plug. The EQ is awesome and you can really hear the difference between the EQ models. Compressor has a ridiculous amount of options. I haven't really tried much other than the Neve, SSL, and Tube, but those sound pretty damn good to me.
Coming from the REQ, i hated not being able to see the EQ curve. But when you have this type of 'analog' looking interface, it forces you to really listen while you EQ instead of looking at a stupid line.
I don't use it on every channel like some people, but it's almost always on the drums, bass, guitar, and vocals...wait - maybe it is on every channel!!

no, seriously, it's very good but my other plugs still have their place.
find your favorite models for the eq & comp and save your starting points to speed up the process (ex. 'all SSL' or 'all neve')
Price is great... $1200 for all those models compared to $1500 for waves SSL (tdm).
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

Quote:
Originally Posted by elmolemon View Post
Hi,

I'm looking for a good eq and comp to add something better to my stock Logic 8 plugins.

I'd love to buy the Sonnox Bundle or the Waves SSL/API but as they don't offer student discount, these pluins are just to expensive for me. So i think about buying the URS CSP.

Now i'd like to know from the users of this Plugin if you use it often and if you still like it or if you prefer something different? Maybe Sonalksis? Waves Musician II (Ren Comp/EQ)?

Would the CSP be a good "first" EQ/Comp Plugin?

I already tried the Stillwell plugins which i like for the money they cost. Maybe i'll add some of these later..

I'm looking for a native solution!

Thank you for your time! thumbsup
Its my "desert island" strip and imho one of the best out there right now and a great bang for the buckthumbsupthumbsupthumbsup
Old 28th May 2008
Lives for gear

[QUOTE=
Price is great... $1200 for all those models compared to $1500 for waves SSL (tdm).[/QUOTE]

And you only have to pay for it once.... not pay WUP ransom to Waves to keep it working.

I love the URS btw. Been using the Motown and Cinema eq plugs as well, but the URS chl strip is getting a ton of use....

Mark

Welcome to the Gearslutz Pro Audio Community!

Registration benefits include:
  • The ability to reply to and create new discussions
  • Access to members-only giveaways & competitions
  • Interact with VIP industry experts in our guest Q&As
  • Access to members-only sub forum discussions
  • Access to members-only Chat Room
  • Get INSTANT ACCESS to the world's best private pro audio Classifieds for only USD $20/year
  • Promote your eBay auctions and Reverb.com listings for free
  • Remove this message!
You need an account to post a reply. Create a username and password below and an account will be created and your post entered.

Slide to join now Processing…
Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search